BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Warranty question

I'm thinking of buying a used magnaflow exhaust (2500 miles on it) off a guy that I know. He's not a stranger, and he really knows his cars. He just took over a lease on an e93 which came with this exhaust. He told me he wants straight pipes(which idk the difference from those or the magnaflows). In any case, I DID mention the warranty question to him wondering if it would void my BMW warranty or not. He said changing the exhaust is not considered a major mod and not to worry about it. So my questions are, 1st, is it not a good idea to buy a used exhaust? I know him well enough to believe that it's not that old and he also told me that he was going to ask for $1000 when he was planning to post it for sale, but since we know each other, he'd do it for $800. My car only has 7850 miles on it and I'm still kind of iffy on whether or not I should even take a chance on a used exhaust. He said it retails for I think $1600. Regardless, given I buy it and have it installed properly etc., given something happens with my car that requires service but has nothing to do with the exhaust mod, will BMW give me a problem about it? 2ndly, besides the obvious sound difference from a stock vs after mkt exhaust, does an exhaust mod make a noticeable difference in performance? The last time I did an exhaust mod was on my 03' RSX in which, yes, it sounded cooler, but I didn't really notice a huge difference in power. I dont want to ramble but I think you get what I'm asking. Lastly, am I going to need a rear diffuser or will I be ok with my factory rear bumper. Thanks for your help and time. I'm just not a super know it all m3 guy like the people I see on here. I'm always amazed at how much you guys know and that's why I'm asking. I'm open to any advice and all ears. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
1Cyrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe

I am not an expert either, so I asked my BMW dealer prior to installing an Agency Power cat back exhaust and they said it would only void the warranty on the exhaust section. I also bought the exhaust used, and love the new sound of my car! 2500 miles is nothing..it's practically new...the exhaust is stainless steel...it will last a long, long time..no worries. Power?....zero difference...anybody who tells you they feel a power difference, is smoking crack. You do it for better sound. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cyrus View Post
I am not an expert either, so I asked my BMW dealer prior to installing an Agency Power cat back exhaust and they said it would only void the warranty on the exhaust section. I also bought the exhaust used, and love the new sound of my car! 2500 miles is nothing..it's practically new...the exhaust is stainless steel...it will last a long, long time..no worries. Power?....zero difference...anybody who tells you they feel a power difference, is smoking crack. You do it for better sound. Hope this helps.
really? no power difference?? dang, not that we dont have enough, but now that you mention this, and i fully believe you btw, im thinking,"whats the point?" Dont get me wrong, i've seen and heard on youtube different exhausts on e92's and they sound beastly to say the least... but, on the other hand, in comparison with just our stock exhaust sound to something like a 335's or rather any make or model car, i personally think what i have now is pretty damn NICE to say the least, no? for instance, from a non m3 owners standpoint, just seeing an m3 w/ those distinct 4 pipes, stock exhaust or not, is something to admire,marvel at, or "hate on"(which i think i get a lot of hehehe) is good enough i guess, no? i know im rambling, but, growing up, i could only wish or i'd never wouldve ever thought i'd be driving a FREAKING B-M-W ///M3! I grew up middle class, didnt study much, but was blessed by becoming part of a decent family business..let me add that im 33 now and not just some kid who doesnt know the value of a dollar and dont take things for granted. i work hard.. and have a wife and kid to take care of. I dont have many passions or hobbies nor do I have much time for things outside of work and trying to be a good husband n daddy. BUT the ONE passion or hobby that makes me happy is "this". Meaning my car... i LOVE my car and just getting in and going for a drive and embracing the moment. BUT, on that note, i guess i sometimes go through a "taking for granted" phase, like now, and want to do more, such as adding an exhaust. but after reading your response, i guess it woke me up. idk why. but thanks 1Cyrus. IDK even know if youre reading this book im writing LOL but thanks for taking the time to help me out i dont think im going to get the exhaust. Because frankly, its not neccessary, and i think our cars are pretty f ing cool as they are. Maybe i'm contradicting my post as i write this, but i'll just cut this short by saying, "thanks, just for the reply, and keeping it real"
Should you decide to reply or not, just know that you helped a total stranger in more ways than one. and its much aprreciated thanks again, maybe i'll see you aorund again on here..
peace out...
charlton~
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I had the magnaflows installed at 400 miles and it's been to the dealer twice. It is a bit loud. But dealer hasn't said anything yet.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0