BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

New M3 or Supercharge Used?

Hey M3 forum,
I'm finally in the process of getting an M3. I've been patiently waiting and working to save up and get the M3, but now I'm stuck on what to do.

I hope this kind of thread hasn't been beaten to death. I would like to hear your opinions on whether I should purchase a new fully loaded M3 2011 or used 2009 with additional money to spend on it (i.e. supercharger). I like the feeling of being the first owner; knowing what the car has been through. But the more I read about the performance of supercharged M3's, the more I want it. Having both a new and supercharged M3 really isn't an option right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

There are a lot of good deals out there for some well taken care of m3's with low mileage. However nothing beats a new car fresh out the dealer.

If I were buying now, as much as I prefer to purchase brand new from a dealer, I would definitely research the used m3 market.

I guess it depends on what you want more...a supercharged m3 or a brand new car. Good luck.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Vbcarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 e92

Used. Why pay 70 for a car you can get a year old for 45k? Most people who have these cars take care of them. That being said not all people do. Just do some homework on the buyer and the car. I am sure you can find a seller on this board that has taken care of his car.
2009 Dinan S3-R M3
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thats the crazy thing about used M3's. I'm seeing used M3's only 1-2 years old with low miles selling 45-50K. Some loaded ones are in the mid 50's and low 60's. Any supercharged M3s out there suggest I go the used route? Is it worth losing the comfort of having a brand new car?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Get 2011 model 100%.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
I'm finally in the process of getting an M3. I've been patiently waiting and working to save up and get the M3, but now I'm stuck on what to do.
If it's taken you time and hard work to earn the money to save up for the M3, then you'll probably do well to go with a used one and benefit from the depreciation. You may even want to enjoy the car for some time before jumping under the hood and supercharging it.

Buying a new car is a pure luxury for those who have the money to blow. It's nice, but not necessary.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Remember though that not only do you have to pay for the SC but also the car maintenance since you can pretty much count out any remaining warranty that the car might have left. 600hp sounds like pure ecstasy but there is a significant cost and trade off for it too. I just took delivery of a new 2011 E92 M3 and I am so glad I went new. Its nice to be able to customize the car exactly the way you want it. Yes the initial depreciation can be significant but eventually, it evens out.

I am going to go the SC route once my warranty is up and I start getting a little board with the car.
      12-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Remember though that not only do you have to pay for the SC but also the car maintenance since you can pretty much count out any remaining warranty that the car might have left.
Which goes more to the point of getting it used. If jjw2331 wants to jump into supercharging his car and warranty is no issue, then there's no need to buy new IMO.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Which goes more to the point of getting it used. If jjw2331 wants to jump into supercharging his car and warranty is no issue, then there's no need to buy new IMO.
I agree. If you have the money to spend on an SC and you really want to tune the shit out of this car then get used. Its not worth it to get new and then throw the warranty out the window.
      12-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I agree. If you have the money to spend on an SC and you really want to tune the shit out of this car then get used. Its not worth it to get new and then throw the warranty out the window.
^^^I agree. If I decide to get a new car it's nice to have a warranty for the initial break in of the car and just in case.

Having come from a family that owns some BMW's, I factored in the cost of maintenance when the warranty expires. Some of my friends are amazed at the cost of maintenance after the service/warranty expires. That's why I think its best to shoot well over the price of the car when preparing to buy and expect to pay a butt load down the road if you want to keep it. That is why I don't mind supercharging a used car since it will probably be half way to the end of it's warranty. And the used car not being so old, it won't need major repairs or part replacements other than wear and tear parts (clutch, brakes, etc.). Well, unless I do something stupid, like money shift. Hopefully insurance can cover that, but I doubt it.

I agree with E92 SID about being able to customize the new car (I'm liking the competition package). And supercharging a new car would not be the best option, unless I had money to blow. But I'm not the person who throws money out all at once. I like to be prepared for the future with this car, supercharged or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
matrocks
Rep
Drives: E93

i guess u would have to factor in your daily driving habits ....u track? or just point A to B ? if u track, supercharging would be nice,but the story will continue with new brakes,new wheels,new suspension...etc etc...and of course,there is a always the possiblity of busting your engine..chances is small...but still exist.. If u dont track and only do city driving , an NA V8 is already an overkill....
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Honestly if money is the issue, I guess a used one would be great. If you are one of those people that like taking first ownership of something I guess you should go for a new one. or maybe think of it this way; If you are planning to keep the car for a while, then buy it brand new so that down the road you can always look back and say "yeah I'm the first and only owner" If that doesn't really matter then screw save yourself some money and buy a used one and invest the rest in stocks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
_Jono_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT, 2012 GTR, Speed3

new car
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly and carefully

Do not buy a used (and abused) sports car. If you can afford it, new is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
birgppa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Silverstone II

If you can afford it, buy a new one that fits you just right. This car is good enough w/o superchargers. I'm sure it goes like hell with a SC but why not just get a porsche turbo then..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

As a person who bought my car used, if I had to do it over again, I would buy new.

Yes, I saved a significant amount of money and my car was well maintained and perfectly optioned, but small things such as slight wear on the driver's seat, steering wheel shine, and the outdated nav (08) are really starting to get to me. Though these things may not bother someone else, it is really down to my own personal preference here.

Going forward, I am going to stick to buying new for cars that are still in production. The only caveat is if I found a car that was bought and basically was up for sale immediately (sub 1000 miles), and if I wouldn't sacrifice anything from an options or features standpoint by not buying new.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

why not lease at a low rate, super charge it, then just go back to stock before you turn it back in

a 3 year lease is about 35k, give or take.

mods: 20k, that's 55k
let's just say you spend 60k

and when you demod, you can get some of it back

so your cost may be about 50k in 3 years

used m3: 50k+20k mods: 70k

you sell mods and car in 3 years, your cost will probably be around 30k then (maybe 35k?)

so it'll be cheaper and more financially wise to go used and s/c

but if you want the new car feeling, then lease+s/c then return another option

new bought + s/c is ideal, but the most expensive option

as long as you don't dealer service it while s/c and you get the mod done right, and the demod also done right, you shouldn't have an issue.

I know of people who s/c their leased m3s.

but if leasing is out, and you really want the extra power, go used.

have you test driven a stock one?
or do you just want the s/c one cause of stuff you've read?

you can buy new and do smaller mods (exhaust, tune, pulley) and get a good increase for a fraction of the cost of a s/c (well, unless you go buy a really expensive exhaust..)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrocks View Post
i guess u would have to factor in your daily driving habits ....u track? or just point A to B ? if u track, supercharging would be nice,but the story will continue with new brakes,new wheels,new suspension...etc etc...and of course,there is a always the possiblity of busting your engine..chances is small...but still exist.. If u dont track and only do city driving , an NA V8 is already an overkill....
So far I've been on the track twice in my current 328i. It was fun, but this car isn't really suited for the track (low on power). I got to drive an old 350z the second time out, and it definitely felt like that car was meant to be there more than mine. But, my car was still fun to drive on the track, and it was that reason alone I will still buy a BMW. I'm not out to break any track records, just want to have the most fun car I can have at the moment with it still being a BMW.

I'm guessing the M3 will get me on track more often, so I'm thinking I should definitely consider other mods, like you suggested, before the supercharger. Crap more thinking...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by birgppa View Post
If you can afford it, buy a new one that fits you just right. This car is good enough w/o superchargers. I'm sure it goes like hell with a SC but why not just get a porsche turbo then..
That Turbo will probably come when kids come in to the family and out. Saving it for my mid life crisis.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
As a person who bought my car used, if I had to do it over again, I would buy new.

Yes, I saved a significant amount of money and my car was well maintained and perfectly optioned, but small things such as slight wear on the driver's seat, steering wheel shine, and the outdated nav (08) are really starting to get to me. Though these things may not bother someone else, it is really down to my own personal preference here.

Going forward, I am going to stick to buying new for cars that are still in production. The only caveat is if I found a car that was bought and basically was up for sale immediately (sub 1000 miles), and if I wouldn't sacrifice anything from an options or features standpoint by not buying new.

Good luck!
You bring up some good points. Its sounding like new may be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
why not lease at a low rate, super charge it, then just go back to stock before you turn it back in

a 3 year lease is about 35k, give or take.

mods: 20k, that's 55k
let's just say you spend 60k

and when you demod, you can get some of it back

so your cost may be about 50k in 3 years

used m3: 50k+20k mods: 70k

you sell mods and car in 3 years, your cost will probably be around 30k then (maybe 35k?)

so it'll be cheaper and more financially wise to go used and s/c

but if you want the new car feeling, then lease+s/c then return another option

new bought + s/c is ideal, but the most expensive option

as long as you don't dealer service it while s/c and you get the mod done right, and the demod also done right, you shouldn't have an issue.

I know of people who s/c their leased m3s.

but if leasing is out, and you really want the extra power, go used.

have you test driven a stock one?
or do you just want the s/c one cause of stuff you've read?

you can buy new and do smaller mods (exhaust, tune, pulley) and get a good increase for a fraction of the cost of a s/c (well, unless you go buy a really expensive exhaust..)
Not so big on leasing anymore. I'm currently leasing my 328i. It's nice that I can return the car after three years, but honestly, the car never felt like it was mine. I had 15,000 miles a year and didn't realize I would be driving so much. Didn't like the fact I had to call BMW NA to up the miles and get another monthly quote. Also, I'm predicting having to think about taking off the mods and making sure my service adviser doesn't see them will get annoying.

But I never realized you could go the supercharged route with a lease. Thanks for letting me know as this might be useful in the future.

And I have driven a stock M3. My neighbor has a 3 month old, white 2011 e92 M, loaded with DCT and comp. package. He lets me drive when we play golf on the weekends. The car makes me jealous every time I drive. Can't believe how different an M feels compared to my car. Every single aspect of the car is better than mine (except for gas mileage obviously), even the ride. BMW had an epic fail with the run flats. I almost returned my car because the ride was stupid bad. Never again will I buy a BMW with runflats. Its that bad.

The DCT is really fast, but no offense to DCT owners, I don't like it. Something I don't like about the feel. Had a little bit of that lag like in our 535 6AT. Kind of ruined it for me. I know the settings can be changed but I think Audi does a better job.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

[QUOTE=jjw2331;8555624].

But I never realized you could go the supercharged route with a lease. Thanks for letting me know as this might be useful in the future.
/QUOTE]

You can do anything to a leased car as long as the dealer doesn't find out.
Appreciate 0