ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Flat Black or Carbon Fiber Stripe?

Considering doing a matte black or carbon fiber wrap for the lower center portion of the front spoiler and the corner "winglets." In addition, was thinking of doing a single passenger side stripe that would just run up the bumper and stop at the hood in the same material. I think the carbon/carbon look is great but the matte black is pretty badass too. My car has the carbon fiber rear spoiler so this will give off the appearance of a carbon fiber front bumper like my Exige S260 had. Anybody out there have a way of photoshopping a picture to see what it looks like? My car is Black Sapphire Metallic.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Are you sure you'd like the wrap? I had the procedure done on my car about a year ago, and was very disappointed in the look. I had it done by a professional vinyl business here in town, and while the work was great, you could just tell it was fake when you looked closeup. So fake in fact, I thought it made my car look cheap. Have you seen a wrapped bumper in person?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah that is why I am leaning towards the matte black. This is the new stuff from 3M that is supposedly awesome and is textured. Only problem is it is a matte finish and the rear spoiler is polished finish.

http://www.toughfilm.com/id10.html

Thats why I have been looking at a single matte stripe. Maybe do the entire car, maybe just the bumper, maybe just the bumper, hood, decklid, rear bumper and not the roof. Seen this on a few black cars and looks real good. But if I were to do the carbon fiber I would only do the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I am planning on doing the same thing with my car as well. I am using 3M DINOC Carbon Wrap. PM me a phone number and i will text you what i have done to the fang so far. I don't think it looks bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Haha, lots of us share same ideas..I've got a roll of di-noc sitting here as well...Planning on center of front bumper and center of rear bumper, fangs and roof. Just not sure how this will look with real carbon grilles, mirrors, wing and license plate frame. Has anyone applied any yet? If so, how hard is it to do right? It doesn't seem like it be that hard but I'm sure its harder than it looks.
      12-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The shop that I am working with said that if you have real carbon fiber that is covered in a shiny clear coat then it will not look right. The di-noc is low gloss matte finish. He did say that few guys down here at a high end shop sprayed the di-noc with clear until it looked exactly like the parts on the cars. Those cars were Lambos and Ferraris so I don't know the cost. Which is why I am leaning towards the matte black....
Appreciate 0