BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Vibration in the cabin

Hi guys, I live close to a hwy and as soon as I get on it with the engine still cold (without pushing it) and with progressive but not aggressive acceleration I feel vibrations taking place in the cabin. It almost feels as if the wheels are out of balance slightly, not sure. The car is still new and I haven't hit any potholes of any nature. Is this supposed to be normal? When the car warms up (engine/tires I guess) I don't feel the vibration anymore...

Thanks in advance guys.
Sardius
      11-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardius View Post
Hi guys, I live close to a hwy and as soon as I get on it with the engine still cold (without pushing it) and with progressive but not aggressive acceleration I feel vibrations taking place in the cabin. It almost feels as if the wheels are out of balance slightly, not sure. The car is still new and I haven't hit any potholes of any nature. Is this supposed to be normal? When the car warms up (engine/tires I guess) I don't feel the vibration anymore...

Thanks in advance guys.
Sardius
Check the balancing and the air in your tires. I have a philosophy that when the tires are a little low in air and the car stays still overnight, the section of each tire that is on the ground gets slightly bent out of round and then it takes a bit of driving to restore that shape, explaining the vibrations you may be feeling.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - what tire brand does your car have? Reminds me of Pirelli's or Vredestein tires I once had on a previous BMW. It would take a few miles before they would be round after sitting over night outside.

Dackel

PS: Have you checked your hubs to see if they are rust free and taht your wheels are torqued correctly? Make sure everything is tight.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Check the balancing and the air in your tires. I have a philosophy that when the tires are a little low in air and the car stays still overnight, the section of each tire that is on the ground gets slightly bent out of round and then it takes a bit of driving to restore that shape, explaining the vibrations you may be feeling.

I hope this helps.
Your philosophy is also a known truth.
Some tire brands are more susceptible to going out of round after sitting for a while. The worst offender brand, in my experience, is Continental.
These tires were used on Audi's, and they were infamous for wheel/tire vibration during the first few miles until the tires warmed and ran properly.

The OEM RFT Dunlops didn't have this condition on my 135i.
When I switched over to the new Conti DWS last fall I started having this minor issue. I still have it. The severity of the vibes is directly related to how long the car sits, the longer the sit the harsher the vibes.
Even after an 8 hour work shift I have a slight vibe, which goes away within a couple of miles.

OP:
If you have OEM RFT's then have the balance checked on the tires, as the Dunlops are not that prone to this condition.
I've also noted that a lot of Dunlop RFT's use a LOT of weight in order to get them to balance. I was shocked to see how much weight is used for these tires from the factory.
My Conti's required a good amount of weight too, but not as much.
This leads me to believe that even the OEM rims may not be that true from the factory, and that also leads to needing more weight to balance.

I haven't noticed much vibration caused by tire pressure though.
Maybe if your tires are extremely low there would be an issue, but your TPMS would go off if they were that low.
Have the run out of the wheels and tires checked, and of course the balance. Once balanced BMW's drive vibe free. I find BMW to be one of the best as isolating vibes from the steering.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wow thanks so much for the info guys, I am always learning more and more about our cars here. So thanks again

I still have the Dunlop RTF from the factory. After reading your posts, it all indicates that the tires go out of round after sitting overnight. I am not really sure about the tire pressure as nothing has warned me of any loss in pressure. Regardless, I will have the dealer check the balancing again when I take her in next week for faulty gps.

Good weekend all!
      11-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Leave it alone. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardius View Post

Thanks in advance guys.
Sardius
After I drove my 135i off the dealer lot, there was a lot of vibrations. After driving about 100-300 miles everything smoothed out nicely. I have OEM runcraps. Usually the vibrations are coming from flatspots where a new car was sitting for a long time.

Now if the vibrations persist long after the break in period, this could be a out of balance tire or alignment. You can tell by where the vibrations are which end needs alignment. Steering wheel shaking means the front end, your butt shaking is usually the rear wheels.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Vibrations are usually caused by: Bent Wheel, Out of Balance Wheel, or Uneven tread wear.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm with the first reply. Your tires are cold and slightly flatspotted after sitting overnight. They warm up and the vibes go away.
      11-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible, 2011 X3

Z rated flat spot overnight

Agree with the previous posts. Z rated tires flat-spot over night, but usually work themselves out after 5 to 10 miles of driving. I just had a set of Micheline runflats put on my 2008 128i Convertible, they are H rated, and they don't flat spot and are are very smooth at all speeds, especially on the highway. They are so smooth I'm having a hard time understanding why people hate runflats.

DouginNC
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #10
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I agree with the flat spot theory. I have the same thing happen to me. I get out of my subdivision on to a 55 mph hwy that has been refinished and is really smooth. I can really feel the vibration for about 5 – 10 miles after the car has been sitting. Let the car sit for a couple week then drive it and there is way more vibration. The fact that after the ties are warm and I drive the same road, I feel the vibration is not a concern.