BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Past, 2017 X5M-sport

2011 135i driver window malfunction

On sunday evening i came home and tried to roll my driver-side window down to talk to a friend, the window would not move and the window icon came on stating "window pinch malfunction". On monday Sept. 27 i brought the car to Bmw for troubleshooting, after an hour and ten minutes, the service advisor informed me that the car was fixed...."the window was not program correctly". I drove the car home and two hours later.....guess what yap you guessed it the damn window wasn't working...sigh. I drop off the car today and told them that once they resolve the issue to call because it more than just a programming issue.Note i bought the car brand new it currently has only 3300 miles. Has anyone has this or similar issues??

The car has tinted windows but that was done on the same day that the car was purchased. This is the fourth time that i had to bring to car to them for fixing:
1st-third brake light seperation (did modification as recommended by bmw)
2nd- third brake light seperation (modified more and replace once again)
3rd- driverside window malfunction (reprogram window)
4th- driverside window malfunction (solution by dealer)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

I had the same problem back in February. The dealer first thought the car need a software update but that did not help. They ended up replacing the window motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer74 View Post
I had the same problem back in February. The dealer first thought the car need a software update but that did not help. They ended up replacing the window motor.
my dealer didnt even know about the software update.....but its not the software i will know for sure tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
jdash
Rep
Drives: 135i

My new-to-me '08 has a similar issue except it often will not go up, and starts rolling back down on its own. I have to fight with the button to get the window all the way up.

Does anyone know how to reset the pinch protection? On my A4 you could hold down (or maybe hold up?) both switches for x seconds to get the anti-pinch reset.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Try doing a window reset, it was posted on this forum previously.

This procedure will reset the windows limits so that when you open the door the window will drop the 1/4 inch.

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, “Remember where we are now? ”

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep

ok an update for you guys, its been four days now and i still dont have my car back...sigh. I called and spoke to my service advisor today and he told me that they were finally able to pin-point the problem....the problem was a defective window module. He went to tell me that the part was ordered and that the car should be ready tomorrow....we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdash View Post
My new-to-me '08 has a similar issue except it often will not go up, and starts rolling back down on its own. I have to fight with the button to get the window all the way up.

Does anyone know how to reset the pinch protection? On my A4 you could hold down (or maybe hold up?) both switches for x seconds to get the anti-pinch reset.
the reset doesnt always work, the SA told me that alot of these window issues are software/program related. Seriously what the hell come on bmw get the bugs fix
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
jdash
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for posting the reset procedure. Unfortunately it didn't help with my problem. I'll have to add it to the little list of stuff I want the dealer to look at for me. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok my SA called me told and tried to tell me that the alarm system that's on the car is what cause the driver side window module to go bad.....he is full of shit because if the alarm was what caused it then both windows, the lights, and etc would also fail. He told me this after about a week of troubleshooting, i contacted the company that installed the alarm and they are going to speak with the dealership tomorrow. Note: the alarm installer has been doing electronic work for bmw for 20 years and the alarm does not use any of the cars power from the harness it only locks and unlocks the doors (two wires). I intend on speaking with a service manager tomorrow about the matter, since they are trying to have me pay for the repairs and if he gives me any bs then i'll just have my lawer speak with them. I'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep

I finally got the car back on friday, the dealership ended up changing the window module but the alarm installer had to pay for the new part, now the legal issue is between him and the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Gdubz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tanzanite M440i (Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdash View Post
My (also new-to-me) '08 135i has the exact same issue. If I'm rolling both driver and passenger windows up at the same time after just having reached my destination, the passenger's goes to the top no problem; the driver's goes about halfway and then decides "Its still nice out!" and rolls back down on its own.

Sort of annoying/frustrating. My car's at the service center getting inspected right now, but I forgot to ask about the windows when I dropped it off. I'll be sure to ask them when I go pick it up on my way home today.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
My (also new-to-me) '08 135i has the exact same issue. If I'm rolling both driver and passenger windows up at the same time after just having reached my destination, the passenger's goes to the top no problem; the driver's goes about halfway and then decides "Its still nice out!" and rolls back down on its own.
In that instance, the car has detected something in the way and the window will stop and retract. Make sure your arm / hand, hair, hat, or what-have-you doesn't protrude overtop of the window as it's rising. This is a safety feature...
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
Gdubz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tanzanite M440i (Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
In that instance, the car has detected something in the way and the window will stop and retract. Make sure your arm / hand, hair, hat, or what-have-you doesn't protrude overtop of the window as it's rising. This is a safety feature...
Nothing ever is in the way, as my arm is down away from the window, pressing the "Window Up" button.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Car went in today for the 4th time in a year for same problem with window(s). It's had software reloaded and motors replaced. I don't know if I want to keep the car beyond warranty if they can't find a permanent fix. I smell class action and extended warranty on window operation coming.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

lol you guys are classic. heading to the dealer for these things..

I had the same issue
my dad used the key to manually lock/unlock the door a dozen or so times

problem solved
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

So the key is the fix? LMAO
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Got car back today...."Performed test plan for initialization of window and found window ok after initializing." Grrrrrr....... It's not like window initializing is rocket science work. I explained how I did it several times to no avail. Now I'm getting pissed.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #18
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

BUMP!

Any further advancements on this issue? Its superbly annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #19
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonXV View Post
BUMP!.....Any further advancements on this issue?....
5+ service visits for this problem with motors and software being replaced. Last visit was 3 years ago and haven't had problem since. First they tried to 'manually' initialize windows but it wouldn't work. "Had to initialize driver window using service function in ISID." Last entry was "Programmed and coded complete car as per TSE." Either they finally got the software right or they installed it correctly this last time because this was done before without success.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
5+ service visits for this problem with motors and software being replaced. Last visit was 3 years ago and haven't had problem since. First they tried to 'manually' initialize windows but it wouldn't work. "Had to initialize driver window using service function in ISID." Last entry was "Programmed and coded complete car as per TSE." Either they finally got the software right or they installed it correctly this last time because this was done before without success.
5 visits, great. My car is no longer under warranty, so taking it in that many times out of my pocket doesn't sound appealing.

Anybody fixed the issue themselves? Cost and difficulty? Hopefully there's just a recall or class action lawsuit for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #21
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sportline

From what I've noticed on my "new-to-me" (lol i like that term haha) 2010 128i, while i'm driving the windows roll up fine without an issue.

PREVIOUSLY when I was stopped, my window would have issues like someone said above and decide that "it's still nice out!" and roll all the way back down unless i hit a button.

Started noticing that EVERYTIME I washed my car and rolled my windows down and back up, they would pretty much put water spots & stains all over my window. I know, I know... "the car is wet dummy".

Anyways, to make a long story short, I started cleaning the INSIDE of my window sills. Haven't had a problem with them since.

I feel as though that the car isn't programmed to detect a hand/obstruction within the window while driving because you're "supposed to drive with both hands". This issue ONLY happened to me while I was at a complete stop.

My guess? So much dirt, pollen, and other crap build up on the inside of your window sills. Don't believe me? Run a paper towel through the window sill. Even a dry one. I know I was shocked the first time I did it. Approximately 15 microfiber cloths later and my driver side stopped putting this black gunk on my cloths.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0