ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Z4 M Coupe as a daily driver/winter car?

Hi,

A couple months ago I purchased my first ever BMW. It's a 2007 Z4 M Coupe. Prior to that I had a MazdaSpeed3 which was a great all around car. I had no problems driving it in the winter with all season tires, but living in Chicago I'm a bit hesitant about driving the M Coupe in the winter.

I have concerns regarding height clearance during heavy snow fall or ice. Thus far I have been using the M Coupe as my daily driver. So the question is:

Should I just get a second vehicle to use as my daily commuter or is it realistic to drive the Z4 M Coupe in the Midwest given our winters with snow tires. What about wear/tear on the vehicle with all the salt etc.

Any input from guys who drive it in the winter would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Daily driven through snow and salt for 4 winters already, 5th winter on the way.

As others will say, winter tires make the difference. Don't try it without them. Deep snow is another issue, and I will keep the Z4 in the garage if it's more than just a couple inches. Tons of threads out there about winter tires.

The car stands up fine to snow and salt. Nothing a springtime wash of the underside with water can't handle. You have a BMW, and they are built to last through all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
ebruder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyD View Post
Daily driven through snow and salt for 4 winters already, 5th winter on the way.

As others will say, winter tires make the difference. Don't try it without them. Deep snow is another issue, and I will keep the Z4 in the garage if it's more than just a couple inches. Tons of threads out there about winter tires.

The car stands up fine to snow and salt. Nothing a springtime wash of the underside with water can't handle. You have a BMW, and they are built to last through all seasons.
Agreed, but I'll drive mine in deeper snow as long as I don't actually push any. Cleveland winters are comparable to Chicago with a bit more snow... lake effect, ya know. Consider 17 inch wheels with taller, skinnier snow tires. This works perfectly for me. PM me if you want my winter wheel/tire set up.

EB
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
In all honesty, I would never attempt to drive my Z in the winter, winter tires or not. I'd be worried of idiots loosing control and bumping into me, and a lack of ground clearance ( as mentioned above ) is another huge issue
      09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjam927 View Post
In all honesty, I would never attempt to drive my Z in the winter, winter tires or not. I'd be worried of idiots loosing control and bumping into me, and a lack of ground clearance ( as mentioned above ) is another huge issue
Thirty years of driving in tough Canadian winters leads me to agree 150% with that. I know these cars are built tough, but I cringe at the thought of getting salt on my car, or in the power top mechanism.

But, if you must drive your car in the winter, then get the best snow tire you can.

Last year my car was parked in the driveway a few days before I was planning to store it, and it snowed. Although the grade on my driveway is very slight, the car would just spin its wheels when I tried to move the car further back in the driveway. Summer tires are absolutely useless on a Z4 in snow.

Road salt is also very corrosive on wheels. Try to get a cheap set to use in the winter that you don't mind beating the crap out of.

Good luck!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

I daily drive my moupe through all of the seasons! i do live in socal though lol

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I wouldn't consider driving my coupe in the winter where I live. It's too hilly with plenty of icy conditions. Our freeze thaw cycles, salt, sand wreak havoc on every metal surface. Besides the corrosion and traction issues I worry about damage from other drivers. There are still too many people out there only running all season tires in the winter.

In any event it doesn't matter as the Z4MC isn't my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I tried once with my performance tires on no grade with a little snow and couldn't even move the car... and then I got a daily winter driver (big 4x4 one). I wish I would have read up opinions on here first as I would rather have my heated seats be worth something during the winter!!! We get big snowfall fairly often here though and I would not have made it into work at least a couple times a year with the Zed.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
I daily drive my moupe through all of the seasons! i do live in socal though lol
What's snow + ice?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

if it's a car that i really care about, i won't drive it during winter whether the car can handle it or not. i've seen in oregon when my parents were living up there, all kinds of accidents because the other car lost control or couldn't stop in time and slamming into other cars. it's the others that you need to worry about
      09-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
if it's a car that i really care about, i won't drive it during winter whether the car can handle it or not. i've seen in oregon when my parents were living up there, all kinds of accidents because the other car lost control or couldn't stop in time and slamming into other cars. it's the others that you need to worry about
+1

Snow tires go a long way and with DSC will certainly make the M drivable, but mine has never seen snow and I intend to keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So it sounds like the majority of you simply drive another car during the winter months. Any advice on long term storage in the garage (battery tenders, fuel stabilizers, tires etc)?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Does it have to be snow tires or all-seasons would do as well? I am in Boston and will probably drive the car once or twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Does it have to be snow tires or all-seasons would do as well? I am in Boston and will probably drive the car once or twice a week.
Dedicated snow tires will be your best friend. I would not even think about trying all-seasons.

Perhaps in an area where snowfall was more rare they might be okay, but where I travel (up towards Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo) they get massive amounts of snow every winter. I haven't been in Boston in the winter time, but I imagine you guys get your fair share of snow too.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Dedicated snow tires will be your best friend. I would not even think about trying all-seasons.

Perhaps in an area where snowfall was more rare they might be okay, but where I travel (up towards Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo) they get massive amounts of snow every winter. I haven't been in Boston in the winter time, but I imagine you guys get your fair share of snow too.
It'll be my first winter in Boston but I have heard they get plenty of snow. I've heard sometimes a special contraption is needed to start the car when it gets too cold outside so I am assuming it's going to be very cold and snowy.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
It'll be my first winter in Boston but I have heard they get plenty of snow. I've heard sometimes a special contraption is needed to start the car when it gets too cold outside so I am assuming it's going to be very cold and snowy.
Remote car starters are commonly used to start the car from inside your home on cold days. The benefit is that the engine is warmed when you get in the car, and the inside is comfortable instead of freezing. The bigger safety advantage is that the windows will have been cleared of interior condensation etc, plus they can be much more easily cleared of snow and ice from outside. So, your visibility will be optimal.

If you are going to get special tires for the winter period, don't waste your money on all-season tires. Those are basically a slightly modified summer tire and cost almost as much as a snow tire. Instead, get a purpose-designed winter tire which will give much greater performance on snow and ice.

As a Z4 is a poor winter car at the best of times, I would seriously consider getting a stud-able winter tire and having studs installed to maximize traction and braking when on ice. You have to have the studs put in before the tire is first installed and the tire is new. A reputable garage will not install studs in a tire that has been driven. Be warned, studd-ed tires are noisy.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

I have the Conti DSWs and they were perfect during the winter/snow months from last winter....i have no problem driving this car year round.

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
As a Z4 is a poor winter car at the best of times...
I disagree with you there...Roadster may be difficult, but the Coupe is just fine. Ground clearance is the only issue.

Quote:
Be warned, studd-ed tires are noisy.
And also very illegal in most places here in the US due to the damage they do to the pavement. Places like Colorado with the mountains allow them, but on the east coast I'm not sure you'll be able to find any area that allows them.

You really don't need studded tires, anyway. Dedicated snow tires will work very well.

I've had the Z4 in a few precarious winter situations and it's always amazed me at how well it handles. Tires are everything - only part that touches the road.

I have a winter wheel and tire package from TireRack that makes it very easy to switch between summer and winter. I've got Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires and they haven't let me down yet.

Last edited by scottyD; 09-24-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I disagree with you there...Roadster may be difficult, but the Coupe is just fine. Ground clearance is the only issue.

And also very illegal in most places here in the US due to the damage they do to the pavement. Places like Colorado with the mountains allow them, but on the east coast I'm not sure you'll be able to find any area that allows them.

You really don't need studded tires, anyway. Dedicated snow tires will work very well.

I've had the Z4 in a few precarious winter situations and it's always amazed me at how well it handles. Tires are everything - only part that touches the road.

I have a winter wheel and tire package from TireRack that makes it very easy to switch between summer and winter. I've got Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires and they haven't let me down yet.
I can't see how the winter handling characteristics of a coupe and roadster would be significantly different.

If studs are illegal in your state, then they are not an option for you.

We all should note that the chap asking the question will be driving in Boston, where the winters, as I understand it, tend to be more severe than in other parts of the US that may also get snow from time to time. Let's not leave anyone with a false sense of security. Its better to err on the side of safety and caution than end up in a snow bank.

Cheers and happy winter driving!

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I think one or two inches on a hill makes it much more difficult to drive on than 4 or 5 inches on the flat. I've decided that if there's snow, I'm not going to drive the M (I live near lots of hills) if I don't have to.

If you have to, you'll learn the limits real quick. Sometimes we just have to reside ourselves to the fact that it's just not possible to drive a certain road in the snow, even though the car handles that same road fine w/o snow.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can't see how the winter handling characteristics of a coupe and roadster would be significantly different.

If studs are illegal in your state, then they are not an option for you.
The coupe with the hard top would be more protected from the elements than the roadster with the soft top. That's what I meant. I don't think I'd want to drive around in the cold with a soft top. Handling, yes, they are effectively the same (minus the slightly stiffer chassis of the coupe which means nothing for snow traction).

I looked up studded tire rules in Massachusetts:
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/miscellaneous.htm

Looks like you could use studded tires up there in Boston if you wanted to. They are banned in Maryland.

My point is that I haven't needed them with driving through some very tricky snow covered Pennsylvania roads with regular winter/snow tires that are non-studded.

Huz-Z, I'm sure Canada roads are very treacherous and studded tires are required. Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, maybe not so much.

Quote:
We all should note that the chap asking the question will be driving in Boston, where the winters, as I understand it, tend to be more severe than in other parts of the US that may also get snow from time to time. Let's not leave anyone with a false sense of security. Its better to err on the side of safety and caution than end up in a snow bank.
Winters where I'm at right now (DC/Baltimore) are very light on average compared to where I frequently travel during the holidays to visit family - up near the Great Lakes with the severe lake-effect snow. I drove right by SUVs stuck in ditches who probably had four wheel drive but all season tires.

Still, if you will need to drive when the snow is more than 6 inches deep, you might want to think about a different car for the winter and garage the Z4. Snow tires won't help the Z4's lack of ground clearance.

Good luck.

Last edited by scottyD; 09-24-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #22
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Indeed I'm currently looking at Honda Civics', Nissan Altimas'/Sentras' as a second car option. Just the thought of all that salt on my M makes me cringe.
Appreciate 0