BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 530i

Smile NEW GOODIES for the Track.

We have a little time left before the GTGP 2010 (http://www.globaltunergp.com/) so we want to make the HPF M3 as fast as we can for this event. It may not be enough to get our car fully dialed and being new-comers to the racing circuit we are at a big disadvantage, but we are still going for it. We are looking to enter the car into the tuner category.

Here is our new setup. We had KW Variant 3 coil overs on there before (in the video below) and they are a good street/track coil over. Now it's time to step up to a track purpose suspension, and KW was kind enough to work with us and dial in the KW Club Sport Coilovers which are valved for the stiffer linear springs we're now running. We're also running the Turner Motorsports camber plates which allow caster adjustment as well as camber, along with some VAC parts to stiffer up the rest of the suspension. We are also switching to the Ground Control front and rear sway bars. Once we install this, we're going to add a bit more camber to the car and take it back to the track. I'll post up videos of the next track session.

For those that haven't followed the car, here's a video of our last session.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

OK - I have to ask:

- how are you planning to use the upper rear shock mounts, since the E92 doesn't normally use this style of mount?

- what spring rates are you using?

- given all the other mods, including (I presume) a cage, why didn't you switch to a coil-over rear suspension as done in the GT-4? It greatly reduces the load on the rear subframe.

- I gather you're planning to replace all the rear subframe bushings with aluminum/delrin, right?

- are you replacing the front Tension Strut bushings with spherical bearings (Dinan, for instance)?

It looks like a really interesting setup - I'm curious to hear about the full plan, as much as you are prepared to share.

Last edited by JAJ; 09-02-2010 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I was confused by the rear shock mount too.

JAJ, would one need to reinforce the rear upper suspension attachment point to do a true rear coilover? I think the cage attaches to this point in the GT4, possibly acting as additional bracing since it's not normally subjected to such forces?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Might be for a E46 M3.
      09-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
JAJ, would one need to reinforce the rear upper suspension attachment point to do a true rear coilover? I think the cage attaches to this point in the GT4, possibly acting as additional bracing since it's not normally subjected to such forces?
This is true. Further reinforcement might be necessary even when there are cage elements that are welded onto the rear towers depending on how that was done.
      09-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
OK - I have to ask:

- how are you planning to use the upper rear shock mounts, since the E92 doesn't normally use this style of mount?

- what spring rates are you using?

- given all the other mods, including (I presume) a cage, why didn't you switch to a coil-over rear suspension as done in the GT-4? It greatly reduces the load on the rear subframe.

- I gather you're planning to replace all the rear subframe bushings with aluminum/delrin, right?

- are you replacing the front Tension Strut bushings with spherical bearings (Dinan, for instance)?

It looks like a really interesting setup - I'm curious to hear about the full plan, as much as you are prepared to share.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, this is for an E46 M3.

We're going to run 894 lb fronts and 1050 (594lb tire) rears to start. We have stiffer springs to bring along in case we need more spring. I might look towards a tubular control arms and full coilovers in the rear at a later time. We'll have to see how these do. Plenty of E46 M3 cars on the track run the car without the coilovers in the rear.

Yes, all bushings are being switched to aluminum or steel along with motor mounts and tranny mounts as well.

I'm going to give the car more camber in the front than in the video. The Turner maxes out at 3.3 degrees, and I'll probably set it there for now. We were running 2.8 in the video. What do you guys typically run for caster?

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
...Yes, this is for an E46 M3...
Aha! Thanks for clarifying - I shouldn't have assumed the E9x. I was hoping you'd figured out how to use the uniball mounts on the E92.

The spring rates are certainly up there - although well balanced. I notice that the front KW dampers have separate reservoirs - are they Clubsport or Racing dampers?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's some more progress. We've replaced nearly every bushing on the car with solid mounts. The include motor, tranny, rear end, diff, etc. We have the RTAB ones on order. We're going to install the Ground Control sway bars and coil overs in the picture. The turner camber adjustment plate is very nice and will also allow us to adjust caster. You can see it mounted on the KW coilovers.

Appreciate 0