BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
herosfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80Cx, 1988 BMW M5

Naked at Streets of Willow?

I'm doing the BMWCCA autocross event at Streets of Willow this weekend. It's an auto-x event, but it'll be on the track. There will be no passing. I just had my bumper repainted so there's no clear bra on that part of the car (the Premier guys aren't installing it until the following week).

Given that it's not a "track" event, am I safe to run naked with no protection on the bumper? Is it overkill to tape up the car? No sure if there will be that much rubber flying around on the track.

This will be my first auto-x event.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
herosfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

And will I look like a douche for showing up with my car taped up?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

I've not been taping mine up and I've done 5 track weekends with no problems
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

I personally don't do it because it is a hassle but a friend suggested tape up the headlight which I thought was reasonable. So, I only take up my headlight and that it is.

I have seen a 335i @ The Street with tapes everywhere and yet a GT3RS ran naked the whole day.

To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

you are more at risk driving up to willow springs from la than having something hit your bumper at an autox unless its a cone or something. streets of willow is dirty and rough track but as long as no cars are in front of you as is the venue you are entering then you will be fine. don't tape up your lights either. thats also due to gummy tires spitting rocks out. pointless in an autox.

this is your first autox. good for you. LA chapter and San Diego chapters are excellent clubs. i suggest plenty of rides with instructors and have them sit with you as often as possible. enjoy have fun!
      08-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
herosfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sounds like I'll be fine without any "protection."

Really looking forward to tomorrow. At the M Driving School in South Carolina, my favorite event was the auto-x. I did well for a newb, but I'm looking forward to sitting with the instructors tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I'd tape up if you're planning on putting on a clear bra.
Just use clear contact (shelving) paper from Target or Walmart, then painter's tape for the tight/small areas.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: one old Mcar

Recommend you tape up the areas directly behind the tires.....those will get pelted from the debris on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
herosfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@aus, I ended up going with your advice with the Contact paper. I'm glad I did! I was a little wild during the slalom and hit a bunch of cones! I ended up with some scuff marks:

I peeled off the Contact paper and it was fine! Thanks for the advice.

Despite my run-ins with the cones, I ended up placing 3rd in the ///M Class. Not bad for my first ever event!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

just tape up the areas behind the wheels
thats wat i did

this is how I ran my car at streets, tho I do have a clear bra :X

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by herosfc View Post
@aus, I ended up going with your advice with the Contact paper. I'm glad I did! I was a little wild during the slalom and hit a bunch of cones! I ended up with some scuff marks:

I peeled off the Contact paper and it was fine! Thanks for the advice.

Despite my run-ins with the cones, I ended up placing 3rd in the ///M Class. Not bad for my first ever event!
COOL!!
That stuff is cheap, it thicker than painters tape and comes off clean. I read about it in an issue of Road and Track a few years back You can also cover a large area pretty quickly and then use the painter's tape for the smaller areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
just tape up the areas behind the wheels
thats wat i did

this is how I ran my car at streets, tho I do have a clear bra :X

Nice pics and the car looks good.
My only concer with the clear bra is, once it gets pitted, it kinda stands out.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
COOL!!
That stuff is cheap, it thicker than painters tape and comes off clean. I read about it in an issue of Road and Track a few years back You can also cover a large area pretty quickly and then use the painter's tape for the smaller areas.

Nice pics and the car looks good.
My only concer with the clear bra is, once it gets pitted, it kinda stands out.
I had a bunch of black tire marks on my clear bra afterwards, but i just used a clay bar and it comes out 100%
my clear bra looks perfect after 3 track days.
Appreciate 0