BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

07-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Should I say in my group?

A little bit of background information. I have done about 15 track days mostly at waterford hills and grattan. I would say that overall I am still quite amateur. It has been suggested to me by several track side workers that I chose the advanced group for this next coming track day. The problem is that I usually always chose the limited experience group (second from the bottom, no experience, before advanced) I feel confident in my group and have a lot of fun. The problem is that I have been told that I am passing too many people in my group. Not because I am aggressive, just because I am quicker. I always try to line up first to have a nice big gap between me and the last guy but it's a short track and doesn't take long before I am coming up on someone. I have run in the advanced group once before and I feel that I am in the way and slow people down. Also people seem to not be as friendly with passing and it seems that all the accidents happen in that group. Overall I just don't feel comfortable running with more advanced guys, and I don't think my skill level is up to par. My question is should I go to the more advanced group or stay in my group.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
A little bit of background information. I have done about 15 track days mostly at waterford hills and grattan. I would say that overall I am still quite amateur. It has been suggested to me by several track side workers that I chose the advanced group for this next coming track day. The problem is that I usually always chose the limited experience group (second from the bottom, no experience, before advanced) I feel confident in my group and have a lot of fun. The problem is that I have been told that I am passing too many people in my group. Not because I am aggressive, just because I am quicker. I always try to line up first to have a nice big gap between me and the last guy but it's a short track and doesn't take long before I am coming up on someone. I have run in the advanced group once before and I feel that I am in the way and slow people down. Also people seem to not be as friendly with passing and it seems that all the accidents happen in that group. Overall I just don't feel comfortable running with more advanced guys, and I don't think my skill level is up to par. My question is should I go to the more advanced group or stay in my group.
Stay in your group if that is your comfort level.Usually the faster groups are a lot more aggresive.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

If you are much faster than most drivers in your group, then I think you should move up. The risk of a mishap in your group because of the speed differential may not be lower than in the upper group. If the speed differential between you and the rest of the group is too high, then it can be a safety issue, and it can make the other drivers uncomfortable. Also, I think it's safer to let faster people go than to pass less experienced and less aggressive drivers. I think aggressive drivers often have a higher level of awareness.

You should ask yourself what you can improve to be competitive in the next group.

I actually declined a couple of promotions, but I wasn't the fastest in my group. At my last event, I was one of only two drivers in my group on street tires and brake pads. My instructor wanted me to take the promotion test. I declined because I felt I wasn't fast enough yet. But a few days later I ordered track tires and brake pads, because I felt that's what I needed to be competitive in the upper group.

Last edited by drivendriver; 07-29-2010 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I assume you are driving solo in this run group. Why not move up to the next run group above you, and request the assistance of an in car instructor. Among other things, he will help you manage traffic and perhaps you will become accuscomed and confortable with faster cars in this new run group. Running with faster cars is not all that different, provided your track awarness has advanced along with your experience. I frequently move students up in class when they continuously demonstrate better skills and awarness, but recommend sign off in this level for the next event only after an instructor has ridden the initial session with him. Try and move up, and if not confortable, return to your previous level. Have fun, and learn.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

if an instructor rides with you and says its safe for you to run in the next higher run group, then I would recommend you give it a try. its harder to still have a consistent smooth line at higher speeds and that should be what you are after. if you grow too comfortable in the current group, you stop advancing. also, if you are in an E30 or E36 are you keeping up with advanced drivers in the corners or even catching up? you might be better off in that group as a lot of that has to do with big hp cars. remember higher speeds doesn't mean you start cutting corners…literally. make sure you have a consistent good line and then gradually add speed.
      08-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

move up! i think in general most ppl are fine even if youre slower as long as youre quick to spot them in your rear view and point them by quickly. Everyone has to share the track so its kinda understood that at some point youll come up behind someone or someone behind u.

Youll probably cause less traffic by moving up and also consider the people in that run group. Maybe youre causing unecessary pressure on the beginners...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
mpegripper
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

move up to the higher group and see what you think, most clubs have no problem if you wanna move back down in the same day.

i'd get someone with more experience to ride along and help you out as well...when you get to the higher run groups and people are coming up on you quick, just let them by, as long as you are predictable and courteous people won't mind