BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

No-Option M3: What would I miss?

I tried to search and didn't find what I was looking for:

If I order an M3 Coupe without any options, how would the following feel compared to the Optioned up models where you can adjust these things:

1. Suspension firmness and handling balance (understeer/oversteer).

2. Power steering weight and feel/feedback

3. Throttle response (especially while brake applied during heel/toe downshifts)

Would a real enthusiast really miss any of the optional gizmos? I would order the manual gearbox no matter what, so that is not an issue.

Thanks and sorry if this has already been discussed ad nauseum!
      07-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

the added options are pretty cool to have if you drive it on a daily basis. the navi with traffic info is very useful IMO, saved me a lot of traffic time already.

but if it's mostly a track car, then i don't think you need the features.

Last edited by richardbb85; 07-12-2010 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: useful, not useless. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
the added options are pretty cool to have if you drive it on a daily basis. the navi with traffic info is very useless IMO, saved me a lot of traffic time already.

but if it's mostly a track car, then i don't think you need the features.
Thanks! I guess I'm trying to understand where the default setting is for things like steering, suspension and throttle response compared to the range of settings of those systems on the car with the options. For instance, does the non-option car fall on the sporty side of things, on the comfortable side of things or in the middle?

Is the Loaded car with all the controls set to "Sporty" going to feel much more sporty than the base car?

Thanks again!
      07-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I have an e92 without the tech package
I test drove with and without
And I think the steering on the non tech package is one of the best setups i've ever driven
Suspension is perfect on the 18" wheels
I like to out 35/37 psi instead of the OEM 33/35
Makes it a little firmer, but still comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

You're not going to miss anything...a stripper M3 would be perfectly set-up from the factory.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

mine's stripped, except for 19" wheels and leather. if i'm missing anything else, i don't know it. out of sight out of mind.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

MDM...a must have for me (its std in our market but an option in yours?)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I have premium and cold weather. I would miss the cold weather package, or at least the heated seats and fold-down rear seats. The folding seats make this car capable of carrying 8' boards with the trunk closed. But the rest of it, meh. Premium is nice for the leather and auto-dimming mirrors, but I wouldn't miss any of it. I definitely don't miss having iDrive, even the updated iDrive is a lot more fiddly than a button, dial, or switch, and I like the non-EDC suspension a lot. Comfort access is just another thing to go wrong, it's bad enough there's a stupid start/stop button to begin with, let's make sure the key can walk away with the car still running...no thanks. I definitely don't miss any of the "M mode" configurable options, the M button, or MDM.

In my experience, the suspension on the non-EDC cars is somewhere between the "Normal" and "Sport" settings, with a lot less pitch and roll control because of a lack of active damping. I still prefer the non-EDC setup though, simply because the car reacts a little more intuitively. This car understeers in steady-state regardless of which suspension is on it, but it actually seems to tighten its arc under throttle even in higher-speed corners, it's really neat, and probably mostly thanks to the M differential.

At speed, the steering is great. I find the variable assist a little too "boosted" at low speeds (<15mph) but that's there to make parking easier. I never tried the steering options on the Tech package cars I drove but I'd have trouble improving on what the base car has.

I can answer the throttle response question too since the power button is standard. Under heavy braking, the throttle response is perfect for heel/toe with the power button "off." Otherwise, it's a lot easier to blip it under light braking with the power button "on" because you're not depressing the brake pedal as far and it's more difficult to get the throttle travel you need for a good rev match without the power button "on." I never turn the power button "on" anymore, I find the throttle response way too artificially abrupt with the button on, and it has no effect on performance beyond perhaps gaining you a hundredth of a second from closed to wide-open throttle because it opens the throttles earlier in the pedal travel. Not worth the light-switch response IMO, especially when going around bends.

One thing I do wish I had is the sunshades! I don't really like tinting windows but I park outside at work and a black on black car is hot as Hades.

My low-option car would have metallic paint, ZCW, USB adapter, and the sunshades and that's it. Still $2.5k in options, thanks BMW.

Last edited by Richbot; 07-12-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Many of the M drive options that are in the current tech package will be standard if you get a September build according to another post. If I was going to get a stripper M3, i'd get the September build. Personally, I love EDC and changing the ride/steering. Sticking it in D1, everything off, drives very casually with decent mpg. Flip of the M button and its a completely different car with everything turned on. I love it. The M drive options, DCT, and EDC is really what separates this car from its competition (and its V8 of course).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I tried to search and didn't find what I was looking for:

If I order an M3 Coupe without any options, how would the following feel compared to the Optioned up models where you can adjust these things:
The things you've mentioned below fall mostly under one option package - ZTP. Though EDC can be ordered stand alone also, yes. And you'll also have the 18" wheels which is a factor as well. At any rate, I also don't have ZTP. I have driven a car with ZTP, so I can speak about some of what you are asking, though I admitedly am comparing a convertible to a sedan which skews my comparison a bit.

BTW, most of this has been covered in other threads. I understand though, sometimes its hard to come up with the proper search terms to find what you want.

Quote:
1. Suspension firmness and handling balance (understeer/oversteer).
A car without EDC has a tight suspension without being overly harsh. With the 18" wheels, I feel like it is not really giving up much to a car with EDC and the 19" wheels, set to normal EDC mode. Body roll is very slight, even on my portly convertible. My car does understeer a bit compared to the sedan I drove but I attribute that mostly to the fact that it has an extra 400 lbs and is less balanced.

Quote:
2. Power steering weight and feel/feedback
The Sport steering is noticeably heavier. I liked it when I drove the sedan with it, but getting back into my car it was not something that struck me as bad when comparing the two. At speed, the steering firms up pretty good.

Quote:
3. Throttle response (especially while brake applied during heel/toe downshifts)
The only thing the non-ZTP (non-MDrive, to be specific) car lacks is the Sport Plus setting. I use Sport 100% of the time on my car. Sport Plus, I only got to try for a few seconds and its really touchy. I don't think you'd miss this much.

Quote:
Would a real enthusiast really miss any of the optional gizmos?
Depends on how one defines "real enthusiast". To me, a real enthusiast can appreciate a stripped car for what it is - a no frills driving machine. I would take a no-option M3 over a loaded 335is for the same $$$ in a HEART BEAT. No question.

One final note: test drive the M-DCT car just so you have idea what the hype is about. M-DCT + S65 is really a match made in heaven.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Reading the other thread, it looks like if you wait for the 2011.5 in a few months you'll get the MDrive-related options (not EDC though) standard. However, you lose power seats (which might not be a big deal to you since you are buying a stripper). The thing is, you can bet there will be a price increase (probably $1000 at most though).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

To the OP, I notice you are a Porsche owner, and I don't know your experience with the M3, so this might be of no value. I've owned several Porsche cars, the last being a 996 GT3. I've gotten away from track stuff, so I've gone back to an M3. You might reconsider the DCT transmission. I never thought I would own one, but after driving several, I ordered a car with only DCT and the comp package. The BMW shifter and clutch are not at all comparable to the Porsche. You might find them acceptable, but you might also enjoy the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I am the opposite as the OP. The "Power" button is standard, but the Sport+ setting is only with M-Drive. I would not be without this additional setting...for my preference. At first, it was hard not to jerk the car taking off because, damn, it really makes the throttle touchy, but after a month of having the car and driving 100% with Sport+ on the throttle, I am totally used to it and when I turn it off, the car feel sluggish. This option I do find a must for me.

For the EDC, I find it highly valuable. My area has some rough ass roads and putting the EDC on Comfort setting makes enough difference that a lot of the rough road is absorbed...way more so than my previous 335 with RFT tires. I only use Sport when I'm on fairly smooth roads as it is for sure stiff and way less forgiving, so I keep it in the middle most of the time.

I also keep my steering servo on Sport+.

Yes, I just love keeping my M3 pretty much cranked up all the time. I always drive with DSC off and after it's warmed up good, I up Drive Logic to S5 and drive there most of the time.

I didn't buy it to be comforted all the time, I bought it to feel what it truly can be.

...for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the great feedback to you all.

Much appreciated!
      07-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimflem View Post
I didn't buy it to be comforted all the time, I bought it to feel what it truly can be.
This is exactly why I didn't want EDC. EDC is neat but even in Sport mode (or in other modes at firmest rate) the handling is not going to be appreciably better than a car without EDC. So, you have two these othere two "lesser" modes which are basically designed to provide more comfort while not giving up handling. I didn't feel I needed that. I also didn't want the center hump. So, I compromised and forwent the Sport+ "Power" setting and the Sport Servotronic setting. Strictly speaking, neither of those change the performance of the car either, though they may give the impression that they do since they are designed to do so.

My car always feels "what it truly can be". It has the exact same adjustability as my previous car, an E46 M3 cab, had. Two thottle settings and two DSC settings. But more importantly it also performs essentially just like a car with MDrive as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

To OP... My options are Carbon Leather, iPod, Sat Radio, and Bluetooth. I miss nothing. I think the car is perfect. I would def get the Carbon Leather... It makes the interior feel more expensive. My .02.
      07-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

great thread. I'm looking at used m3's and I found one that looks interesting. Only issue is it doesnt have m-drive.

On my must have list is: sedan, leather, mdrive. Everything else is negotiable. I was thinking that without m-drive, you lose the m-button, but I guess you get the power button? And without edc, I lose some potential comfort. Im on the fence about this. This will be my daily driver, so I'd like to make it comfortable, but in reality, how often am I going to change edc settings? IF the car never had it, would I miss it? probably not.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I don't think you miss anything. I have the premium package. I hardly ever use the folding mirrors. I suppose BMW Assist will come in handy some day. And I really like Bluetooth. It's the Bluetooth I would miss -- I really like keeping my hands on the wheel when a phone call comes in.

I also have iPod integration, but it's an '08. New ones I believe are going get it standard. Even the '09 and '10 models don't need it since you can download your songs to the cars hard drive.

Nav and iDrive are ok if you need it. It's certainly better than it used to be. If you want a back-up camera and the ability to watch video it may be worth it. But for a strictly sports car perspective, you won't miss it at all.

The only other option I have of substance is EDC. I like it but can't comment on what it's like without. Throttle response, via the Power button is standard. I love the steering but can't comment on the servotronic in the M-drive settings. I've have driven with the servotronic, but honestly didn't really get enough time to notice much of a difference. I will admit that it would be nice to have MDM and the M button, but I can certainly live without it.

I say get a stripper. If anything, you might want to consider the Bluetooth and BMW Assist options, if they still are options. If you're getting the Sedan you should really consider the fold-down rear seats, but if it's a coupe as you say, it's already included (unless this has changed for post September builds). Also, stick with the carbon fiber roof.

Good luck.

Cheers.
      07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

no option M3 = This car is a blast! I love the power and handling!

Well Optioned M3 = This car is a blast! I love the power and handling! I love the nav, now i'm never lost and it's in 3D! Omg the sound system is so awesome! Omg the DCT shifts soo fast! Omg the iDrive is so fast and useful! It's so cold out ahhh my ass is so nice and warm in these seats! Crap I just got in a fight with my wife, i've been kicked out, no worries I love being in my M3 and now i'm going to watch a SuperBad dvd on my built in DVD player!

/Thread

Last edited by IbanezGod; 07-13-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

tech package is a must
      07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
You would miss nothing since one can only miss what one has already experienced.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
no option M3 = This car is a blast! I love the power and handling!

Well Optioned M3 = This car is a blast! I love the power and handling! I love the nav, now i'm never lost and it's in 3D! Omg the sound system is so awesome! Omg the DCT shifts soo fast! Omg the iDrive is so fast and useful! It's so cold out ahhh my ass is so nice and warm in these seats! Crap I just got in a fight with my wife, i've been kicked out, no worries I love being in my M3 and now i'm going to watch a SuperBad dvd on my built in DVD player!
Appreciate 0