BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

07-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

Hard Water Spots on Car...

Hey Guys,

I made the mistake of parking my car by the grass at my girlfriend's apt overnight and the sprinklers douched the car with some very hard water. There are a bunch on hard water spots now on the car and even after I wash the thing, they are still faintly there.

What is a good way to remove hard water spots?
      07-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Try in this order:

-Claying (will most likely remove the mineral deposits; will not remove etching on clear coat)
-Chemical Guys Water Spot remover (acidic base... better at removing mineral deposits, not strong enough to remove etching from clear coat)
-Polishing (PC 7424XP, try using Meguiars M205 with a white pad to see if you can buff it out. If not go with a denser foam pad, like orange, or even M205)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

You can also try a mix of vinegar and water from what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC310 View Post
You can also try a mix of vinegar and water from what I hear.
Yep try that before moving onto more harsh chemcals
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
Try in this order:
vinegar
chrome polish

-Claying (will most likely remove the mineral deposits; will not remove etching on clear coat)
-Chemical Guys Water Spot remover (acidic base... better at removing mineral deposits, not strong enough to remove etching from clear coat)
-Polishing (PC 7424XP, try using Meguiars M205 with a white pad to see if you can buff it out. If not go with a denser foam pad, like orange, or even M205)
fixed it for you...

some people doubt me, but sometimes chrome polish works wonders! just be sure to wash after and polish/wax. i doubt any harmful effects, but I am not a chemist, so I error on the side of caution
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Removing ‘Water spots’

Always start by using the least abrasive product first-

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner or Duragloss 501)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the paint surface
6. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
7. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

I know that people like to use vinegar but it has never worked for me...then again, my spots were always etched into the clear coat so polishing was the only avenue left for me to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Removing ‘Water spots’

Always start by using the least abrasive product first-

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner or Duragloss 501)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the paint surface
6. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
7. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved

Thanks!!! Just what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0