BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

How often does this happen to you?

Im quite puzzled. First off, I'll note I do have golf tee mod and a dci. I was just going up the hill in my neighborhood in 2nd at about 18 mph, (speed limit in communities almost everywhere is 25), so im passing some lady walking her dog, and she looks over at me as i drive by and starts screaming at me to slow down. wtf?

Also, my girlfriends neighbors always call her yelling at her about me speeding down the street {because they're cowards and cant come directly to me}, even though I never go over 20.... and then my girlfriends mom always gets pissed off at me because her neighbors complain. ....how often does this happen to you? Its starting to get to me and I think next time I'm going to knock on her neighbors door and ask what their problems are.
      06-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Next time you leave her house, ask her mom to ride with you. When she sits in the passenger seat and sees your speedometer at 18 and the neighbors call later complaining again - she can see what they are all about and get off your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post
Im quite puzzled. First off, I'll note I do have golf tee mod and a dci. I was just going up the hill in my neighborhood in 2nd at about 18 mph, (speed limit in communities almost everywhere is 25), so im passing some lady walking her dog, and she looks over at me as i drive by and starts screaming at me to slow down. wtf?

Also, my girlfriends neighbors always call her yelling at her about me speeding down the street {because they're cowards and cant come directly to me}, even though I never go over 20.... and then my girlfriends mom always gets pissed off at me because her neighbors complain. ....how often does this happen to you? Its starting to get to me and I think next time I'm going to knock on her neighbors door and ask what their problems are.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
^^^^^ Definetly agree on that!!
      06-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

The problem is that your car is too loud for the neighbors and hence gives the impression of too much speed. They think you're going too fast, but what they really mean is you're making too much noise to be going slow.

Coast in neutral as much as you can and accelerate very slowly while short-shifting in problematic areas.

Or undo your mods...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I'll flip 'em and ask their badge #, if don't have a badge.. F.u.
      06-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
comes with the territory of having a loud car. not much you can do besides drive in a higher gear and not push it too hard.
      06-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

Haha. Definitely a funny story. Unfortunately there are so many people like this in the world that can't help but pay attention to what other people are doing even though it doesn't affect them.

We had the same issue with my father's car when he first got it in 2004. He bought a brand new Aston Martin DB7 V12 Vantage with sport exhaust. It drove the neighbors craaaazy! They always assumed he was flying up and down the road, when in fact we lived on a gravel road where you definitely wouldn't want to do more than 5-10 MPH in such a nice car. However, I can recall this story during my senior year of high school...I would sleep in until 9 or so because I didn't have morning class. However, I would wake up every morning at 7am to the sound of his car accelerating onto the highway and then droning off into the distance. Mind you the highway was 2 miles away
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

I was with a girl in my old 350z once and we were driving through her neighborhood and I had this same exact thing happen. I was doing 25mph on the dot. People are idiots.

So naturally when she said that I dropped it back down into 1st and nailed it. Stupid beeyatch.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Lol at the OP, this is a funny story. If you are not speeding I would ignore them. I do agree with others that people tend to think you are speeding excessively when it's just the sound of the exhaust on our cars. However, I feel like the stock exhaust is quite stealth and I have gotten by very unassumingly for the most part. If speed is what she's concerned about, my suggestion is to get an aftermarket exhaust and see how she reacts
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I got the "Slow down!" yell this past Saturday at 10 am. It was a small two-way, one lane in each direction road, no sidewalks and covered completely with trees so it was semi dark. There was a family of 4 walking on the middle of the road and the husband and wife both yelled at me to slow down. I was going 25mph on a 25 limit road.

Some people need to be smart enough to not WALK in the middle of the road that has plenty of blind curves and trees to make it dark. Not to mention walking with young children.

Want to go for a walk with your family? Go to one of the hundreds of walking/hiking trails on the island or pick a road with a sidewalk. Don't yell at cars going the speed limit because it makes you nervous walking on the road.

I have a stock exhaust and no golf tee mod, the car was making noise, but not loud enough to sound like I was going fast. They were just stupid.
      06-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Caleb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, this exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I was waiting for traffic so that I could turn left. So I was starting from a dead stop. And I go by this guys house who was on the corner of the block that I was turning onto. His kids were outside, and I clearly saw them.

I was in first gear, to stay within the speed limit, but the revs were fairly high (~4k), so the exhaust was making some noise.

I get to the house I was going to about a block away, and a minute later I see this guy in my mirror rolling up on a bike.

He starts hassling me about my speed, and I'm trying to tell him that just because it sounds loud, doesn't mean I was speeding.

He wasn't listening to anything I had to say. He was obviously blinded by parenting instincts. (Not an insult, I understand.)

Later on that night, I looked up all the gear ratios, final drive ratio, RPM, and wheel size. I almost printed out the max speed results with the above variables and put it in his mailbox, to show him that its almost impossible to speed in first gear with the manual transmission. But I figured he would shoot me given the make my day laws here.

A side note, this guy owns two BMW's himself. Although a station-wagon 3 series and an X5 hardly count. Also, I drove past that house again the other day, and a nice Porsche 993 was parked out front.

I have no idea how this guy could not understand what I was talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Thought it was justvme but seems not!

I have 135 vert with stock exhaust and no golf tee. I was exiting highway into my suburb. Did notice a people carrier following behind me driving a bit frantically. I kept to or under speed limit of 60km/h. I drove up to my driveway and notice the people carrier park across the road, guy comes out and onto my property then proceeds to yell at me for speeding!! I told him i was not but this wasn't gonna work so i just told him that he was crazy and to get the f off my property.

At redline the car is just too quiet whilst lower down in suburbia i do notice 1st and 2nd can be rumbling and louder than an average car.

My neighbors are good people so i try not to do anything that might raise some eyebrows, so as i enter my street i change into third gear which is quite stealth, as i tend to go for late night drives.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
HAHAHAHA....... Just got nailed for that.. But make sure u stay out of sport mode...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
sb335is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
HAHAHAHA....... Just got nailed for that.. But make sure u stay out of sport mode...
lol i was below 3k this whole time.

happened to me again at starbucks a few weeks ago, i was going about 10 and this lady was walking a corner on the side of the street.... brembo brakes are nice and i slowed to about 5 about 15 feet from her in about 1 second and she yelled at me.... fffuuuu.. not to mention this was at about 630 am and the whole center was desolate. i think im going to undo my golf tee.

ive got a friend with meistershaft on his m6 and whenever he rolls into a parking lot anywhere over 4mph he gets screamed at to slow down.... but then again I can hear it distinctively coming from about 500 yards away. i can't wait what the responses will be after i get RR exhaust or something.
      06-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Dude I just typed up the longest story... and my FUCKING shitty ass Brighthouse internet went out.. So I will retype a shorter version.. But watch out for cops.. Because when these people get pissed they call the cops and then the cops wait for u in your development... I had a Lexus IS 300 with 2 12in JLs subs... This was in my old development and the people called the cops.. He waited for me after work (10pm) and he pulled me over for ROLLING a stop sign (I had to pass like 8 of them just to get to my house when I get passed the gate in the development)... He told me people were complaining about this car and the loud music.... He gave me a warning.... ITS BS..

The same thing is happening in this development... Cus the Gate Guard told me someone complained about a black car speeding... I was not... The people wanted to call the cops.. The Gate Guard want to give me a heads up he is cool..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 06-23-2010 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
madostrich
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Black/Red M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleisure View Post
Haha. Definitely a funny story. Unfortunately there are so many people like this in the world that can't help but pay attention to what other people are doing even though it doesn't affect them.

We had the same issue with my father's car when he first got it in 2004. He bought a brand new Aston Martin DB7 V12 Vantage with sport exhaust. It drove the neighbors craaaazy! They always assumed he was flying up and down the road, when in fact we lived on a gravel road where you definitely wouldn't want to do more than 5-10 MPH in such a nice car. However, I can recall this story during my senior year of high school...I would sleep in until 9 or so because I didn't have morning class. However, I would wake up every morning at 7am to the sound of his car accelerating onto the highway and then droning off into the distance. Mind you the highway was 2 miles away
your pops RULES.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Had the police pull me up a few weeks back. I was taking off from the lights where I know there's a speed camera therefore I was taking it easy. They pulled me up because they though I was speeding as my car was loud. I have the stock exhaust so I don't think the car is loud however, it was 2am in the morning on a weekday and I was the only car on the road. They gave me a breath test, which I passed, told me I had a nice car and sent me on my way.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I got yelled at the other day... "SLOW THE *#$@ DOWN!" im going about 25km in a 30km zone and this guy is trying to be a good parent by cursing at random cars driving down the road in front of his kids. I guess I can see how the noise may make it seem like im going fast with a blow off valve and the DCI but is all that yelling necessary?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #19
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The only residential neighborhood I regularly drive in at the moment is my own. My house is at the back so I drive 0.6 miles on 25mph streets to get to it. I do not go 25 mph, I go less. There are 3 stop signs and people all over and I take it easy. We also have sidewalks and the road is wide through the front part of the development so there is space. Nobody has yelled yet.

On the other hand, sometimes I see my son rolling up and I want to yell at him. I basically do not get needing to go at least 25mph because that is the limit when it is going to save you seconds at most. I opened my car up a couple times on the way to work today but I don't feel the need to go fast in my neighborhood.

Jim
      06-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Later on that night, I looked up all the gear ratios, final drive ratio, RPM, and wheel size. I almost printed out the max speed results with the above variables and put it in his mailbox, to show him that its almost impossible to speed in first gear with the manual transmission. But I figured he would shoot me given the make my day laws here.
That's brilliant. You should still print it and mail it to him instead. I would love to see the reaction on his face.

Even though these stories are more about the exhaust sound, they remind me of an old Toyota Celica commercial that was advertising the Action Package or something like that.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UK3GOFqVSyI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UK3GOFqVSyI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      06-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #21
Caleb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That's brilliant. You should still print it and mail it to him instead. I would love to see the reaction on his face.
I know. Thought about doing something like that, but figured it would be a total dick move.

Plus, I don't want to give this guy a reason to vandalize my car or the house that I was visiting... Although, it might be worth it!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
sb335is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post

Even though these stories are more about the exhaust sound, they remind me of an old Toyota Celica commercial that was advertising the Action Package or something like that.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UK3GOFqVSyI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UK3GOFqVSyI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
LOL