BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

BPM

06-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Atlanta Autox on June 16th

I anyone planning on going to the autox at Lake Lanier islands? I have never been to one before so wasn't sure what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krells View Post
I anyone planning on going to the autox at Lake Lanier islands? I have never been to one before so wasn't sure what to expect.
Congrats on making the choice to try out autox, it is some of the most fun you can have in your car!

Bring the following:
Water bottles/cooler and a hat. It's going to be really hot and you're going to be in the sun quite a few hours. When other run groups are going you are either going to be working the course(part of autox is we all work) or you're going to be waiting around for your run group/work group.

I have done SCCA as well as Peachtree BMWCCA events. I prefer the BMWCCA events due to not having to spend 10 hours on autox and getting 6 or more runs. I also have never had or seen any issues with theft. I used to set out a $5k set of wheels, tools and more while I was working the course and driving and never had a thing touched. That has just been my experience tho.

Be there plenty early so you can walk the course. Your first time racing the course may seems like an ocean of cones. It is vital that you understand the course prior to racing it. Walk the course with the noobie group(a vet will walk you guys through it with tips. Pay attention to what he says).

If you're in the first run group park towards the end of the group so that you can ride with some of the earlier drivers prior to your first time out. If you have the second+ run group, ride with someone outside your run group. I have never seen a driver turn down a rider except on maybe their last 2 runs(most events have 4-6 runs). Ride with others as much as possible before and after you run so you will know more next time.

Ask questions. If you are not sure of something, ask someone. One of the reasons autox is great is because everyone is so helpful. We all want the new guys to come back.

Safety first. Don't hotdog it or be careless. It will get you embarrassed when an organizer openly reprimands you, may get you banned if you're bad enough. Go enjoy your car but don't push the limits to the point that you could hurt someone.

Now the fun stuff....driving.

Look ahead at all times. Don't get stuck on where you are, focus on where you are going.

Don't get hung up on that one cone you hit. You're going to hit them. They won't hurt your car. I have hit them at over 60mph and not done damage.

Go slow and you will go fast. I am not sure how much you really know about driving mechanics and car control, but it's easy to think you're going fast because you're lighting your tires up or your tires are screaming as you "fly" through that big half-skid pad...the truth is you're going slower than you could be going. By driving concise and making every movement count you will have a faster time. The fastest way from point a to point b is a straight line.

Have a good time! There is way more to it but I think those will get you going.

I have been at it since 2006.
Appreciate 0