BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Bleed or Flush

Did a DE event last weekend on stock brakes and pads. I flushed the fluid prior to the event. No issues with a soft pedal.

I am signing up for another event in June. I'm leaning towards keeping the stock setup. Do I need to flush again prior to the event or just do a bleed of the brakes?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
Did a DE event last weekend on stock brakes and pads. I flushed the fluid prior to the event. No issues with a soft pedal.

I am signing up for another event in June. I'm leaning towards keeping the stock setup. Do I need to flush again prior to the event or just do a bleed of the brakes?

Thoughts?
A bleed should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Could someone explain the differences between a bleed and a flush? Obviousl a flush is more complete, but what's the difference? Is that when the dealer needs to activate some pump?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Flush replaces all of the fluid with new. Bleed just removes any air in the fluid
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Could someone explain the differences between a bleed and a flush? Obviousl a flush is more complete, but what's the difference? Is that when the dealer needs to activate some pump?
A bleed is basically just changing the fluid at the caliper where a flush is changing all the fluid in the complete system.I use the manual bleed system and it works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
A flush is where you empty the reservoir and completely replace all the fluid in the system, a bleed is where you take a few mls out of the caliper - until it is clear/clean and no bubbles (if there are any) - and top up the reservoir with the same fluid as you were using.

The pump is a high pressure pump that is used to drive the fluid out of the system. It allows one tech to flush the system on his own. You can achieve the same result with two people...one pumping the pedal, the other opening the bleed valve. You can buy these online for DIY (motive products, bavarian auto etc have Euro spec pressure caps). If not, you will need a buddy to help either flush or bleed the brakes.

EDIT: Is there an echo in here? LOL I wrote my post while the others appeared!
Appreciate 0