ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Flash to Pass?

Typically when I'm out in my Z4 and on the highway, I'll come across individuals that are loafing in the far left lane (Many times talking on the cell phone or texting while driving). With speed limits of 70 mph, my speed will be be between 75 and 80 mph.

Is it a douche move to flash to pass versus going around in the middle lane? The times I have flashed, people have been courteous and move to the middle lane but I have had an instance or two when people just ignore my gesture.

Thoughts?
      05-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

i agree with you, left lane is for passing, if you're in the way GTFO of the way!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post

Is it a douche move to flash to pass versus going around in the middle lane?
Thoughts?
No, of course not. It's proper highway etiquette, doubtful the person in front of you realizes though. If they did they wouldn't be in the passing lane with their thumb up their butt. Really, passing on the right is the douche move but I do it all the time rather than driving miles at 65 with an open right lane.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well, that's kinda my sentiment but some people can definitely get offended.
      05-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

It drives me crazy when they are sleeping in the fast lane. Makes me want to buy some air time and run a commercial about proper driving procedures.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Normally, not a douche move to do but a lot of people will take it as that...namely the people being flashed. If, however, they were in the left lane to pass slower traffic and you come up behind them while they're still passing and flash them, I can consider it a douche move. I usually give people a chance to move back over in case they're trying to pass slower traffic themselves. Also, if you're impatiently flashing your lights, it also constitutes a douche move. Just go around them.
      05-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Normally, not a douche move to do but a lot of people will take it as that...namely the people being flashed. If, however, they were in the left lane to pass slower traffic and you come up behind them while they're still passing and flash them, I can consider it a douche move. I usually give people a chance to move back over in case they're trying to pass slower traffic themselves. Also, if you're impatiently flashing your lights, it also constitutes a douche move. Just go around them.
I'm not the type of person to be impatient while someone else is in the process of passing, I'll even give the slow individual a chance to see me before actually flashing them. I definitely get a bit heated when you do pass someone and they are checking email or texting on the phone!
      05-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post
I'm not the type of person to be impatient while someone else is in the process of passing, I'll even give the slow individual a chance to see me before actually flashing them. I definitely get a bit heated when you do pass someone and they are checking email or texting on the phone!
Not saying you are that type of person so hopefully it didn't come off that way. I've just seen some people automatically be obnoxious about signalling someone in traffic. Those people are douches. People texting, reading, shaving, putting on make-up, etc... ugh....don't get me started on that.
      05-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Typically I'll tap my left signal as I am approaching behind them. It gets their attention, but doesn't seem as rude as flashing the high-beams. I'll usually try that a 2nd time and if they still don't move then I flash the lights.
      05-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Not saying you are that type of person so hopefully it didn't come off that way. I've just seen some people automatically be obnoxious about signalling someone in traffic. Those people are douches. People texting, reading, shaving, putting on make-up, etc... ugh....don't get me started on that.
I didn't take your comment in a negative way at all. I recently passed a woman with a cell phone in her left hand up to her right ear with a can of soda in the other hand on the steering wheel! Wanted to make a gesture but just let it go. I don't necessarily think it's my place to chastise other adults.
      05-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I can't stand it when people drive like idiots as a result of cell phones. I wish cops would actually ticket people for cell phone use more than they do for speeding, because frankly it's a lot more dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I just zoom right around them as if they were a cone. Done and gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Zedfor
Meinkugelschmerzen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i, B757-200

One of my pet peeves. A driver who cruises in the left lane is an ignoramus and has never been properly taught nor properly learned how to drive. In Europe flashing of the headlights to pass is expected and condoned. Anyone who gets mad about being "flashed" is just proving how ignorant they really are.

Defs:

Ignoramus - someone who is unaware.

Ignorant - a state of being uninformed.

These should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same. The word "Ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware.

ZSCCA
ZSCCA on Facebook
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #14
TelfordZ4M
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedfor View Post
In Europe flashing of the headlights to pass is expected and condoned.
Don't quote me but I heard from someone that recently returned from Germany on a trip and is German that it's no longer permitted to flash someone to get them to move over?! I've driven on the autobahn and the flash to pass was very prevalent but also could be pretty intimidating trying to get your rental over 200km/hr to pass someone only to have a Mercedes come flying up behind you flashing.

Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelfordZ4M View Post
Don't quote me but I heard from someone that recently returned from Germany on a trip and is German that it's no longer permitted to flash someone to get them to move over?! I've driven on the autobahn and the flash to pass was very prevalent but also could be pretty intimidating trying to get your rental over 200km/hr to pass someone only to have a Mercedes come flying up behind you flashing.

Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this?
Not sure on Germanys stance on it, but in the U.K. the law says headlight flashing is only to be used as the signal " I am here ", not to be used as a hello to people you know, allowing someone to move before you or get the f*** out of my way (even though all the above get used).
As you all know we drive on the left side of the road and can only pass others on their right side. To come up behind someone and flash them to get out the way usually gets their back up 99% of the time and stay there or take their time to move. I used as already mentioned method of using your turn signal, that doesn't come across as aggressive of flashing your headlights. Of course you will always get the arseholes who wont move, but hey that's life.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Whenever I'm driving on the highway and I see a car approaching in the mirror, I make it a point to move over to allow the car to pass safely.

Regardless of local laws on indicating your intention to pass, I believe all drivers have an obligation to drive in as safe a maner as possible. And if that means I move out of the way of faster traffic, I'm happy to do that - without having to be asked.

At the same time, if I'm overtaking a slower car and he won't move over, I don't tailgate; that's highly irresponsible at highway speeds.

All this to say, I don't want to be an arsehole, nor do I want to get myself in a rear-end collision at 60 ot 70 mph. That would be a kinda bad day.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

If the lane to the right is open and its easy for you to pass then I say thats the bet move instead of flashing at him. I will only flash someone when I am unable to pass on the right and the car in front of me isnt making an attempt to move over.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
Alpha Bravo
Rep
Drives: 2006 2.5si Roadster

I'll pass him left side if possible else sit and wait for a gap to pass, don't think it's a douche move, some people need to be educated on the road.

Funny thing is since I drive a Z it seems people are just moving/turning in front of me much more often almost out of spite, but maybe it's just my perception as I'm traveling just a 'tad' quicker now. People see me 100m back, then they turn by which time I'm on their butt....may I flash then?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
I'll pass him left side if possible else sit and wait for a gap to pass, don't think it's a douche move, some people need to be educated on the road.

Funny thing is since I drive a Z it seems people are just moving/turning in front of me much more often almost out of spite, but maybe it's just my perception as I'm traveling just a 'tad' quicker now. People see me 100m back, then they turn by which time I'm on their butt....may I flash then?
Reading your post actually brings to mind another question. If you are going to "flash to pass", is it proper to do it when you are on the car in front or do you do it in anticipation of gaining on said car (assuming you can't pass on the right)?
      05-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Whenever I'm driving on the highway and I see a car approaching in the mirror, I make it a point to move over to allow the car to pass safely.

Regardless of local laws on indicating your intention to pass, I believe all drivers have an obligation to drive in as safe a maner as possible. And if that means I move out of the way of faster traffic, I'm happy to do that - without having to be asked.

At the same time, if I'm overtaking a slower car and he won't move over, I don't tailgate; that's highly irresponsible at highway speeds.

All this to say, I don't want to be an arsehole, nor do I want to get myself in a rear-end collision at 60 ot 70 mph. That would be a kinda bad day.
Remember a while ago when you asked why I thought you were in your 40's when you are actually in your 20's? I think it is probably because you posted something like this before.

I usually flash and if they don't get over I will go around them. I hate it when people get over to pass a semi at 2mph faster than it and in turn cut you off when you were approaching much faster.

I usually only tailgate in my truck cause when in my Zed if they brake tap me I get scared, if they do it when in my truck, I don't slow down at all cause I really don't care as much and wouldn't mind pushing their dumb as into the ditch. They get really scared when that happens... usually funny to watch the passenger chew the driver out. Thy move right over. I may have some road rage issues.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

[QUOTE=Hawkeye;7346526]Remember a while ago when you asked why I thought you were in your 40's when you are actually in your 20's? I think it is probably because you posted something like this before.

QUOTE]

Dang it all - where's that Oil of Ole?!!!! LOL!!!

Ahy-who, I remember a few years ago I approached a guy in the left lane from behind and he refused to yield; I could see that his wife and he were having an "animated" discussion upon my arrival. So, after a few moments, the guy finally hauled over. As I cruised by, I could see he was swearing at me. So, I stuck my tongue out at him and made an exceptionally silly face.

His wife immediately burst into laughter. I had no further problem with him.

Allons-Y!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #22
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

In recent years it has become illegal to flash a person the highbeams in Germany. There is actually a fine that can be incurred. The German thought is that you are forcing a person to move out of the fast lane against their will.

I agree that flashing to pass is proper but many Germans will now hit their brakes if you do it. Not something you want to see at 250KPH!

2006 E46 M3, 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 93 Golf VR6
Appreciate 0