BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
M3 sway bar?

I've had my 1er for about a month and the only significant mod I've made is new 18" wheels and some Star Specs. Big improvement, but I'm looking to tighten up the suspension some. Ideally, I'd like to go for the BMW PS and some of the M3 components, but I'm overseas for the next 12-18 months and the shops around here charge way too much per hour for me to afford such a big job. I've toyed with the idea of just getting an M3 anti-roll bar, as they're relatively inexpensive and I could do the install myself in my driveway, but I'm a little hesitant to do just the bar without new dampers/springs to match. Can any of the suspension experts here give me some reasons why I should or shouldn't do this mod now versus waiting to upgrade all of the suspension components at once? Thanks in advance...
      05-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I've had my 1er for about a month and the only significant mod I've made is new 18" wheels and some Star Specs. Big improvement, but I'm looking to tighten up the suspension some. Ideally, I'd like to go for the BMW PS and some of the M3 components, but I'm overseas for the next 12-18 months and the shops around here charge way too much per hour for me to afford such a big job. I've toyed with the idea of just getting an M3 anti-roll bar, as they're relatively inexpensive and I could do the install myself in my driveway, but I'm a little hesitant to do just the bar without new dampers/springs to match. Can any of the suspension experts here give me some reasons why I should or shouldn't do this mod now versus waiting to upgrade all of the suspension components at once? Thanks in advance...
I did a front bar upgrade the first week I had the car. There is no reason not to do this in stages, and the front bar alone will help some. Then just add the other components when you are ready.
      05-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

+1 DIY sway install takes 40-50mins tops, including the setup time of getting the car in the air and that plastic tray off/on. Don't need to take the wheels off either. For me the actual removal of the OEM sway and install of the new M3 E92 sway was about 10mins. About 25 mins spent removing and installing the tray's many many screws, and the other time getting the car up and down and setting up the basic tools needed.