New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

I switched to a Volvo

Ok, not really, but that's the rental I got when I left my car to be fixed (an incident involving the rear bumper, I'm not gonna go into details, suffice to say the bumper will be repainted).

So they gave me a Volvo V50 1.6 diesel. It's always a mixed blessing to get to drive an ordinary car, and to be reminded what the rest of the world is driving. My heart was immediately filled with empathy towards my fellow drivers on the road instead of the usual semi-contempt, so that's a good thing. Change lanes on the freeway, and you feel the body of the car move to the other lane, followed by the wheels couple of seconds later. A very wobbly experience in a backwards sort of way. The steering wheel is somehow connected to the tires, but the specifics are still a bit hazy to me. And it was the same thing with the gas pedal. Step on it for the first time and you'll wonder if you've forgotten to start the engine, because there isn't much happening. They say diesels have a lot of torque. Well, it's all relative.

This was all to be expected, of course, and I embrace the experience. My Zed is my only car, so I sometimes forget what an exceptional piece of machinery it is. That's why my brain needs to be recalibrated every now and then, and the Volvo is a perfect fit for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
parnassus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i DCT

On the contrary, instead of being impressed with the z4 I was actually a little disappointed with its handling the first time I took it for a test drive. There was a disconnect between what the steering was doing and what was actually happening, but I was too busy blasting the car down straights to really care. Note that I came from an E92 323i M-Sport which had really good feel.

I notice with the recent Autoblog comparison they were complaining about the z4's handling over bumps. I wonder, has anybody installed an LSD onto the car and was it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
vriffpolo
Sweden
Rep
Drives: sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
It's always a mixed blessing to get to drive an ordinary car, and to be reminded what the rest of the world is driving. My heart was immediately filled with empathy towards my fellow drivers on the road instead of the usual semi-contempt, so that's a good thing.
Before you judge a man, drive a mile in his car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Note that I came from an E92 323i M-Sport which had really good feel.
Like I said, it's all relative
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
On the contrary, instead of being impressed with the z4 I was actually a little disappointed with its handling the first time I took it for a test drive. There was a disconnect between what the steering was doing and what was actually happening, but I was too busy blasting the car down straights to really care. Note that I came from an E92 323i M-Sport which had really good feel.

I notice with the recent Autoblog comparison they were complaining about the z4's handling over bumps. I wonder, has anybody installed an LSD onto the car and was it worth it?
No, but I've taken LSD while driving the car.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

yes - they may be "safe" but I will take a pass
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Quote:

I received a 335i rental and it was a great car. I thought the handling was better than my Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

I always get 5 or 3 series loaners. I find it odd when stealerships give out other makes. hell, my dealership used to give out 7 series, until some asswhipe took the loaner for a 5k mile joy ride... That was the end of that.
      05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
So the Chinese still have some catch up to do when it comes to car manufacturing?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

The Volvo isn't from the dealership, it's from Herz who have a deal with my insurance company. I'll have it for couple of days, will keep driving to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
So the Chinese still have some catch up to do when it comes to car manufacturing?
I wouldn't expect any improvements from the new owner. And in all fairness I wasn't trying to diss Volvo. I've driven other rentals too from various car makers and the only one I felt comfortable in was a Mini.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
GT Sounds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

The dealership I go to was doing some construction on their BMW building, so they worked with Hertz for the loaners. Drove a couple Fords and a Honda iirc. It was understandable as they had very few cars on the lot with all the construction going on but it was a bummer not getting to drive other BMW models for a day. Last time I went though, they gave me an X5 diesel. Geez, that thing is huge!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn't expect any improvements from the new owner. And in all fairness I wasn't trying to diss Volvo. I've driven other rentals too from various car makers and the only one I felt comfortable in was a Mini.
I know you didn't diss Volvo. I have had a few of them and they do their work, nothing more. A senseble buy. I totally agree with what you say about a normal car versus the Z4. This is my first high end vehicle and the other day i was playing Pink Floyds "Money" while driving and thought "so this is how it feels to have money" It was a good feeling even if i don't have have any.

To me it's a new experience and i'm going to take out every bit i can of enjoyment. It's just amazing how it rides. so..........words missing!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
. . .reminded what the rest of the world is driving.

Change lanes on the freeway, and you feel the body of the car move to the other lane, followed by the wheels couple of seconds later. A very wobbly experience in a backwards sort of way.

The steering wheel is somehow connected to the tires, but the specifics are still a bit hazy to me.
Very funny. . . thanks.

Your narrative reminds me of my 3 vintage American made cars (1965, 1973 and 1974) I drive from time to time. They were powerful for their day but there are very hazy connections between the steering wheel/brakes that for some reason didn't seem to bother me (much) in the day, but now I find them somewhat precarious to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
yes - they may be "safe" but I will take a pass
On a related note

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/v...60-crash-video
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Volvo blamed the failure of the technology on a battery issue which, it says, would have been easily spotted by a human driver
Isn't the whole point of those collision avoidance system to take over when the human driver is too stupid to be watching the road in front of them?

Enough with the cybernannies already! Let's train the drivers properly and retest them for driving skills and medical fitness on a regular basis rather than investing in that stupid junk!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

the same thing happened to mercedes. they were showing the S class' cruise control, which basically does the same thing as the volvo, and it crashed thru like three benzes. funny ass shit.

but to cdeslandes point, it's not to take over for the driver, is for that .0001% of the time where your kid disrupts you, you look down at the temp control or "favorites" button or you drop a liquid on your lap or worse cigarette lighter, that split second is usually the one that causes the fended bender, and these systems would probably avoid those collisions.
      05-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #18
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
they were showing the S class' cruise control, which basically does the same thing as the volvo, and it crashed thru like three benzes. funny ass shit.
Sounds more like a cruise missile control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
but to cdeslandes point, it's not to take over for the driver, is for that .0001% of the time where your kid disrupts you, you look down at the temp control or "favorites" button or you drop a liquid on your lap or worse cigarette lighter, that split second is usually the one that causes the fended bender, and these systems would probably avoid those collisions.
That is true, but the unfortunate side-effect of all safety features in cars is that the added sense of security makes people less careful. But of course they still do more good than harm.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #19
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is true, but the unfortunate side-effect of all safety features in cars is that the added sense of security makes people less careful. But of course they still do more good than harm.
There is truth to that. Overall, statistic in the US show that after the slight surge following the implementation of these technologies, including anti-lock brakes, traffic accidents fall back fairly close to historic levels.

I find that based on personal observation, driving on the freeways here in So Ca people tend to drive faster and use shorter distance between cars because anti-lock brakes are capable of stopping their car in a shorter distance in normal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #20
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
There is truth to that. Overall, statistic in the US show that after the slight surge following the implementation of these technologies, including anti-lock brakes, traffic accidents fall back fairly close to historic levels.

I find that based on personal observation, driving on the freeways here in So Ca people tend to drive faster and use shorter distance between cars because anti-lock brakes are capable of stopping their car in a shorter distance in normal conditions.
I don't know if people tailgate because of overconfidence in their brakes, or just from watching too many NASCAR races...

Antilock brakes is an example of safety technology that is both valuable, and dissapointing from a safety statistics point of view. Another one is airbags (only a 6% reduction in fatalities, in fact airbags were mostly designed for the fools who don't use their seat belts)

Don't get me wrong, I think some safety technologies are very valuable: ABS, stability control (the best improvement in safety since crumple zones and seat belts), with brake assist and flashing LED brake lights like those on the Z4 being very promising IMO as they help reduce reaction time.

But those dynamic cruise controls, collision avoidance and blind spot systems are a bad substitute to properly training drivers and keeping them trained. It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Of course no politician wants to tell Junior that it'll take 100 hours of training and 2 years to get his license, or tell Granny that she's too old and senile to drive. It's much easier to throw money at the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1

Quote:
It's much easier to throw money at the problem.
yep
Appreciate 0