BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Powdercoating question / OEM 19's / TPMS

I'm thinking of powdercoating oem 19" wheels, but have a couple questions. (might be easier to purcahse another set of oem 19"s versus powdercoating mine)

1.) If I purchase OEM 19's, do I have to also purchase TPMS? (My car has the OEM 19's on them now) Regarding valve stems, I think I can just swap them?

2.) What condition must the wheels be in if they are getting powdercoated? Can their be road rash on the wheels?

3.) Are all oem 19"s the same size? Meaning if I purchase a set from a 2008 e92 that has oem 19"s?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i

Depends on what you want:

1.) If you want to swap them out depending on your mood then by all means get another set. You'll will also need TPMS' for all of them too. If not, just get the ones you have powder coated.

2.) Wheels don't have to be in perfect condition. They will prep the surface prior to powder coating. Road rash should not be an issue.

3.) Yes all OEM 19's are the same size regardless of year. Bolt patterns, dimensions, and offsets will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

thanks buckshizzo, that's what i was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Before anything else OP, wheels are STAGGERED (in case you didn't know), meaning fronts are narrower. But all 4 are 19s.

I'm powdercoating my stock wheels right now. And yes, cosmetic damage (my clearcoat was scratched due to brief off-road excursion) can be fixed prior to powdercoating, although mine were almost perfect just by sand-blasting the clearcoat/paint off. If one (or more) of your wheels lost its balance due to a hit, I'd make sure a professional wheel repair place (maybe the same shop) checks them first.

As far as TPMS, you can certainly use your current sensors, but I'd buy a TPMS kit on eBay for $12 shipped (tire places charge $30) to change the rubber seals). By the way, I also powdercoated the sensor sockets (used the new ones on the kits). Good luck.
Appreciate 0