BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

Need some opinions audio gurus

Okay guys I too have come to the realization that the "premium enhanced sound" isn't fully balanced. I think the highs and mids are pretty good but the lows (subs under the seats) aren't doing much on the low frequency side. I feel like they serve more as mid-bass than they do subs.

I am looking to upgrade to a trunk mounted sub while keeping the oem subs as mid bass drivers. Of course my main concern is balance in this audio upgrade. I don't want the upgraded subs overpowering the factory system at all. The enhanced sound system sounds really loud and capable now but I know that all changes depending on the sub.

Therefore here are the setups I am looking at:

a. (1) 8" JL W3 with a JL 500/1 Amp
b. (2) 8" JL W3's with a JL 500/1 Amp
c. (1) 8" JL W7 with a JL 500/1 Amp

I feel like the W3's are a good choice because they offer a great deal of sound quality and not super low bass. However, I am curious about the 8w7 because I know its very tight bass but also very deep. Too deep will in turn drown out the interiors which is a no no.

So any advice/opinions on this would be great.

Also any installation tips/tricks that I should relay to the shop. It seems that members who have done aftermarket installs have had great success with them and very few problems. This makes me much more confident about throwing a sub in.

-Vin
Appreciate 0