BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

Weighted system for Alignment??

Need to get an alignment done and the dealer wants a $200 which isnt horrible but many other shops dont charge more the $100. A couple shops have told me they dont do BMW's and only the dealer can do it because they use a weighted system and actually put weights in the car to put the vehicle into spec. I have read of alot of people getting alignments done at places other then dealers without the system. Does anyone have some insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

i paid 250 for a corner balance and an alignment.

i sat inside the car as they were both done to get a best possible specs
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMID INC View Post
i paid 250 for a corner balance and an alignment.

i sat inside the car as they were both done to get a best possible specs
Yes, that is a typical charge for corner balancing and alignment. However, you have coilovers. The stock suspension is not height adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselino View Post
Need to get an alignment done and the dealer wants a $200 which isnt horrible but many other shops dont charge more the $100. A couple shops have told me they dont do BMW's and only the dealer can do it because they use a weighted system and actually put weights in the car to put the vehicle into spec. I have read of alot of people getting alignments done at places other then dealers without the system. Does anyone have some insight on this?
They are probably talking about how they follow BMW's procedures to load the vehicle appropriately before doing an alignment. I believe BMW has specific requirements for how much weight they want in certain places (i.e. the trunk, the rear seats, the front seats). This simulates driving conditions.

While some shops do not simulate weight, any good alignment shop shop replicates this concept. They might have a person sit in the car during the alignment and place ballast in other places to simulate load.

This is actually something you would want to have input on. Tell them to align the car with the amount of weight you normally have in the car. If you spend 99% of your time in the car by yourself, have them align it for you alone. If you normally have a passenger, put some weight in the passenger compartment as well. If you usually carry cargo, put an average amount in the trunk.
Appreciate 0