BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

02-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
TrackReady
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: QuikSlvR

Another M3 vs 335i post

So I just started looking at BMWs a few days ago. I have never owned one or drove one. The objective is to replace my daily driver that I sold a few days ago. It was a Mazdaspeed 6 GT. I work out of my home office so I dont have a commute.

I currently own a 2008 Lotus Exige w/300hp that is modified for the track. I have also read some of the other Post about 335i having low end power etc. but going to the M3 if you want a true driving experience.

If I went with the M3 I would just make the following mods , Pulley/reflash/Exhaust/Aero

Thanks for the Input / Suggestions ahead of time
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

If you already have a track car, I'd lean towards the 335 with a mild tune. Just get rid of the runflats since they give a terrible ride.

A used M3 or lease take-over would make it more palitable for me.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 02-21-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

The M3 is also much rarer, (but not rare enough ) if that is important to you. The M3 is not a light car, but it does feel much lighter than the 335i and it handles magnificently. The S65 is also very fun when rev'd like it is supposed to be. If you are considering tracking at all with the BMW, the M3 is your only choice.....unless you like really modding your cars, then the 335i is a decent choice also.

The 335i, I believe, really hurt M3 sales for the e9x design. It is truly a fun little street racer...especially with cheap tunes. A loaded 335i costs close to $20k OTD cheaper than a loaded M3. In the DD range of RPMs (0-4KRPM), the 335i is really punchy, but the top end is not as exciting. The MPG is much better also. I honestly believe that the slightly tuned ($579 JB3) 335i will beat a M3 from light to light. A enormous con for the 335i is WHERE IS THE LSD?!?!?! And reliability on the 335i can be pretty bad (it seems...my 335i has been a dream). However, if #'s are what your after, the 335i seems to do really well with them...cost, Mpg, HP, TQ...it will cost you $279 bucks for a JB+ to match M3 HP and surpass M3 TQ. Anything else is just icing on the cake. Steering feel can't match the M3.

They both look really good...the 335i is sleeker, the M3 is much more masculine (I prefer the M3's looks much more)...non-enthusiast would have a hard time differentiating them apart. Both are nice luxurious cars...I like the M3 ride better...the run flat tires on the 335i mated with the sports package makes the ride rougher than the M3's dynamic ride comfort settings. Both cars are close to the same "class" in cars.

In conclusion:

If you're after a mile-eater, DD: the 335i hands down for me. The 335i is extremely fun with its high torque (especially when tuned).

If you want a comfortable DD-able car, that WILL BE TRACKED: the M3. The M3 is not the fastest track day car, nor is it the most comfortable....but it is IMHO the best hybrid. It will drive you comfortably to the track and it will handle the track really well (maybe not the brakes).

It seems you want the M3.

P.S I don't know much about the LCI E92 335i with the N55 engine, but ^ that stuff is assuming the N54 engine in the 335i (the new 335is has the N54 also.)

Last edited by GnokGnik; 02-21-2010 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
The M3 is also much rarer, (but not rare enough ) if that is important to you. The M3 is not a light car, but it does feel much lighter than the 335i and it handles magnificently. The S65 is also very fun when rev'd like it is supposed to be. If you are considering tracking at all with the BMW, the M3 is your only choice.....unless you like really modding your cars, then the 335i is a decent choice also.

The 335i, I believe, really hurt M3 sales for the e9x design. It is truly a fun little street racer...especially with cheap tunes. A loaded 335i costs close to $20k OTD cheaper than a loaded M3. In the DD range of RPMs (0-4KRPM), the 335i is really punchy, but the top end is not as exciting. The MPG is much better also. I honestly believe that the slightly tuned ($579 JB3) 335i will beat a M3 from light to light. A enormous con for the 335i is WHERE IS THE LSD?!?!?! And reliability on the 335i can be pretty bad (it seems...my 335i has been a dream). However, if #'s are what your after, the 335i seems to do really well with them...cost, Mpg, HP, TQ...it will cost you $279 bucks for a JB+ to match M3 HP and surpass M3 TQ. Anything else is just icing on the cake. Steering feel can't match the M3.

They both look really good...the 335i is sleeker, the M3 is much more masculine (I prefer the M3's looks much more)...non-enthusiast would have a hard time differentiating them apart. Both are nice luxurious cars...I like the M3 ride better...the run flat tires on the 335i mated with the sports package makes the ride rougher than the M3's dynamic ride comfort settings. Both cars are close to the same "class" in cars.

In conclusion:

If you're after a mile-eater, DD: the 335i hands down for me. The 335i is extremely fun with its high torque (especially when tuned).

If you want a comfortable DD-able car, that WILL BE TRACKED: the M3. The M3 is not the fastest track day car, nor is it the most comfortable....but it is IMHO the best hybrid. It will drive you comfortably to the track and it will handle the track really well (maybe not the brakes).

P.S I don't know much about the LCI E92 335i with the N55 engine, but ^ that stuff is assuming the N54 engine in the 335i (the new 335is has the N54 also.)
Great post GnokGnik. Very helpful. I love, love my 335i, but I've never tried a M. I'm quite curious about the differences. I am sure the $20K extra means something in this car.
      02-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Great post GnokGnik. Very helpful. I love, love my 335i, but I've never tried a M. I'm quite curious about the differences. I am sure the $20K extra means something in this car.
The M3 feels very different from a 3-series--much more so than you would expect considering that the cars are based on the same platform. The steering, in particular, really surprised me the first time I drove an M3. I suppose it has to do with the electro-hydraulic power steering, the wider track and the wider tires.

All the M cars that I have driven (M3, M5, and even X6M) have very similar steering feels. It's like a family trait. It's difficult to explain. You have to drive one.

Note that I'm not saying that the steering feel alone is worth $20K . I'm just saying that the cars feel very different, to the point that you don't really feel the common genes. Contrary to what you might expect, the M3 doesn't feel at all like a souped-up 3-series. It feels like a different car. Having said that, I love the steering feel of the regular 3-series.

If I had an Exige, for my second car I would probably pick an X3 or a diesel X5 . As mentioned above, right now the M3 is probably the best all-around car in the world, but there are more practical and comfortable cars, there are better track cars, and there certainly are more frugal cars.

Finally, as a former Lotus driver, I have to say that nothing under $100K can give you the same pure driving pleasure that you get from a Lotus (and yes, that includes all the P-cars).

Last edited by drivendriver; 02-22-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
So I just started looking at BMWs a few days ago. I have never owned one or drove one. The objective is to replace my daily driver that I sold a few days ago. It was a Mazdaspeed 6 GT. I work out of my home office so I dont have a commute.

I currently own a 2008 Lotus Exige w/300hp that is modified for the track. I have also read some of the other Post about 335i having low end power etc. but going to the M3 if you want a true driving experience.

If I went with the M3 I would just make the following mods , Pulley/reflash/Exhaust/Aero

Thanks for the Input / Suggestions ahead of time
You already own an extreme machine so why go for another if you buy and M3 and then modify it?

Either stick with a stock M3 or buy a 335i and give it a mild tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

My sister wants a 335...

/thread
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

you get what you pay for..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post

In conclusion:

+1,000. I've been saying this for the past couple of months.

I prefer the masculine looks of the E92M as well compared to the E92 335i. I have the E90 LCI (which has wider rear arches than the E92 335 coupe) which I think is almost as nice as the M.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
My sister wants a 335...

/thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV-E92M3 View Post
you get what you pay for..
LOL...opinionated bunch.

OP: If your coming from an Exige, your only choice is an M3..and even that would feel soft in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

FINALLY a topic that is NEVER discussed!

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
valbauer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, GT3

M3
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

335i would be a better choice in your situation IMHO, like some members mentioned, you already have a track sport car, 335i will prob better balance your stable out...just my .02
e90 M3 l 6MT - OEM++
e92 335i l Auto - the list is too long...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

I came from a 335i to an M3 just a cpl of months ago....just a few things to add:
1) OH GOD....I miss the manual tranny....dont get me wrong, the DCT is an amazing tranny and it shifts very quickly and smoothly and I love the throttle blips....but i just simply miss the manual.
2) My 335i had the JB+ and a dci and loved how quick it was....and I dont feel a big diff in acceleration comparing the two cars. One thing i do know is that the 335i was definetly quicker off the line.
3)Although the steering feels lighter in the 335i and the feedback is better, the M3's handling is freakin amazing. I took a drive up to Whistler on Friday....roads were dry and the sun was shining....i took a section of twisties at pretty good speed and I had a grin ear to ear.
That was the defining moment for me as to what an M3 stood for...truly effortless and truly enjoyable!!!
4) At almost every stop light, I have someone give me a , or ask me to roll down my windows and ask me various questions about the car, take pictures with their cell phones or ask me to rev the car because they wanna hear the exhaust.....it def get's more attention...if you like that sort of thing.
I probably not much help for ya...just wanted to share my personal experience with both cars.
cheers,
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
lemme ask you - I have a 335 and I love the steering like you did. thinking of an m3 but would like to know if the steering still retains some stiffness. if you've driven an S4, u know what I mean by very light steering - I hate that. is the m3 anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #16
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
lemme ask you - I have a 335 and I love the steering like you did. thinking of an m3 but would like to know if the steering still retains some stiffness. if you've driven an S4, u know what I mean by very light steering - I hate that. is the m3 anything like this?
You are going to enjoy more the M3 steering...at very low speed (<10-20 mph) is very light, which is perfect for parking and round-abouts, but after that it's getting very stiff.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #17
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You already own an extreme machine so why go for another if you buy and M3 and then modify it?

Either stick with a stock M3 or buy a 335i and give it a mild tune.
+1
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I have a track membership at Lime Rock and drive a dedicated track car (spec Miata) on the track. My daily driver is a 335i convertible. There is no doubt in my mind that an M3 will outperform a 335i regardless of how the 335i is modded.

I am totally satisfied with the 335 as a daily driver. IMO the M3 is more than I need for the road and my best choice as a track car. I am considering buying my own track car (probably a Miata) but that project got put on hold because I had a retinal detachment.

I think the M3 is a great car and probably offers more performance for the dollar than just about any car available today.

CA

P.S. I am a very conservative driver on public roads.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-28-2010 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #19
supra2jz
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL e46+M3 e92 sport

well, m3 is a beast. it eats everything fast, (including gas) its heavy but feels more responsive then the 335i. its also smoother handling. if you buy a 335 id strongly recommend a tune up/ + hp. the 335 is a better daily driver and much cheaper.
      03-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #20
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Maybe you should hang off until all the details on the 1M are released, it might just offer the best compromise of all, forced engine similar to the 335i meaning very tunable, plus the added reliability of M internals and will have the full extent of M-Division's development backing.

I'm personally not a fan of the 1 series Coupe's looks but there is no denying that this thing has potential.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #21
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Maybe you should hang off until all the details on the 1M are released, it might just offer the best compromise of all, forced engine similar to the 335i meaning very tunable, plus the added reliability of M internals and will have the full extent of M-Division's development backing.

I'm personally not a fan of the 1 series Coupe's looks but there is no denying that this thing has potential.
I agree. The thing that interests me the most is the lighter weight in addition to all the other things you mentioned. In certain colors, the 1 series looks pretty good.
      04-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that an M3 will outperform a 335i regardless of how the 335i is modded.
??..one can mod a civic to outperform an M3, just takes truck loads of $$
Appreciate 0