BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

01-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Iphone cradle

Sorry, I know, use the search. I did and after 8 pages and no answer thought I would risk asking...

If I have the iPhone cradle in the armrest will my iPhone come up in the iDrive so I can play music and podcasts?

08 E92 by the way. I currently have a USB stick in the armrest and a Nokia cradle.

Cheers.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

No, just telephone action. For music and what not, you would plug it in to the usb and aux port which requires the 6FL cable.

I pretty much hook up the ipod there and leave the phone in the cradle for the recharge and the shark antenna.

Hope that helps you.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
No, just telephone action. For music and what not, you would plug it in to the usb and aux port which requires the 6FL cable.

I pretty much hook up the ipod there and leave the phone in the cradle for the recharge and the shark antenna.

Hope that helps you.
Bugger that then, pointless. Thanks.

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Sorry, I know, use the search. I did and after 8 pages and no answer thought I would risk asking...

If I have the iPhone cradle in the armrest will my iPhone come up in the iDrive so I can play music and podcasts?

08 E92 by the way. I currently have a USB stick in the armrest and a Nokia cradle.

Cheers.
Your car needs to be equipped with 6NF, Smartphone Integration, and the correct cradle. I don't believe that MY2008 offered 6NF.
      01-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
roller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Yes works on my 09 with 6NF. But that doesn't really help you.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Leg
Captain
Rep

Well, reason for this was that I had a Nokia work phone and an iPhone 3GS for my personal phone. I had the Nokia in a cradle in the M3 and left it loose in my John Cooper Works. In both cars I had the iPhone "loose" with a Y cable. This week I swapped my Nokia for a works iPhone 3GS (identical to my own).

Anyway, obviously I dont want to carry 2 iPhones so I am selling my personal one.

The Nokia is gone.

So I had an iPhone that I will now use far more often as it is a work phone, therefore needed charging in either car.

Simple solution - 2 x 32GB USB sticks one for each car, ton of music and what have you and 2 BMW armrest cradles for the iPhone.

Ive had a 16gb stick int he BMW since I got it and it works just fine as do the 32s. I have a PC in my garage with network access to my network HDD where all my music is so it's easily updated and then onto the sticks. No messing witht he interior of the car.

Happy bunny, nice and simple. Also left my 16gb stick free for in my wife's new Tiguan when it arrives. Result.

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Your car needs to be equipped with 6NF, Smartphone Integration, and the correct cradle. I don't believe that MY2008 offered 6NF.
I have 6NF and Smartphone. I use a separate iPod for music but if I CAN send music through the cradle then I'll load the iPod with movies instead (playing through one of the video interfaces available) and play music off of my phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I have 6NF and Smartphone. I use a separate iPod for music but if I CAN send music through the cradle then I'll load the iPod with movies instead (playing through one of the video interfaces available) and play music off of my phone.
You can use the iPhone as an iPod when in the cradle. You just need to have the right cradle. There are two, one that supports (meaning uses) the 6NF integration and one that doesn't. A search or the dealer or BMW's accessory site (look under M3 Sedan - the coupe entry is incomplete) should yield the part number.

*** Ah, I see you have a sedan. ***
      01-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Sweeeeeeet. I picked up the iPod cable since the delivery advisor said even in the cradle the iPhone uses BT to connect and the iPod cable would access the music and charge the phone anyway. It would be nice to beable to charge the phone AND iPod at the same time though. That would be a rediculously expensive iPhone charger though. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Sweeeeeeet. I picked up the iPod cable since the delivery advisor said even in the cradle the iPhone uses BT to connect and the iPod cable would access the music and charge the phone anyway. It would be nice to beable to charge the phone AND iPod at the same time though. That would be a rediculously expensive iPhone charger though. lol
The phone does still use Bluetooth for phone functions. For power and iPod-like functionality it uses the connection in the cradle. However if you plug in an iPod using the Y-cable at the same time it will take over the USB interface from the iPhone. Only one device can connect audio content to the car and the Y-cable interface has priority.
      01-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

So like I said, it'd be a really expensive phone charger.
Appreciate 0