BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

X6M.... more of a review than "vs".......

Just a little review, based on my very much non-professional opinion.

We picked up our X6M on November 14th. Our service advisor was (and always has been) AWESOME. We had just flown in from a holiday, and he met us at the airport at MIDNIGHT, brought us to the dealership, we signed the papers, and drove home. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty.

First impressions? Love the look. I wasn't convinced about the X6 in general when it first came out, but have now gotten used to it enough such that I like it. The front end is definitely more aggressive - more purposeful than the regular X6, and the rear is an improvement, as well. I believe BMW could have gone bigger with the exhaust tips - they do look a little weedy.

I can't comment on how the wheels look on the car, as we had the dealership install the OEM winter set up. I can say that the winter set up looks great - slightly weedy, but as I have said before, for prairie winters, aesthetics definitely take a back seat to winter performance.

Interior fit and finish are excellent. I would say superior to the Audi A7 considerably, and on par with Audi, in terms of function. Better than the equivalent Mercedes ML AMG overall. The updated iDrive is a massive improvement on the previous iteration - it is now very intuitive, whereas the last version simply left you wondering if BMW polled kindergarten children regarding how best to frustrate drivers. Overall, lots of positive stuff in the interior, without a doubt. Love the back up camera, and especially being given the choice between "sky-view", and remote camera. The back up "grid" display is actually very handy, and very accurate.

The seats are adequate. They are comfortable, but lack lateral support, methinks. A little more aggressive side bolsters would have been welcome, I think, and adjustability, a la the M3 seats (which I LOVE, being 160lbs), would have been a great idea, too - this is, after supposed to be an M version, no??

The heads up display is surprisingly great! I thought this was going to be an amusement, mainly, but it is actually rather functional. I like how the navigation directions are displayed - particularly the graphics bar that "counts down" relative distance to your next turn.

Will BMW ever figure out to make a display that works with polarized sunglasses???? The HUD all but disappears in this situation. Ick.

I must say I wish the exhaust sounded better - especially from within the cabin. From outside, when my wife takes off, there is a nice rumble, but it lacks that "je ne sais quoi" - I realize this is to a large extent a function of the turbo set-up, but here, I believe it could have been done better. When one is accelerating hard, the sound from within the vehicle sounds.... weird - not a growl, not a rasp - unfortunately, kind of like our vacuum cleaner - definitely not the "beat your chest, 'cuz I'm here, and I'm kickin' ass" kind of sound.

That said, acceleration is eye-opening. I honestly do believe that this thing accelerates harder from a standstill than our M3. One must recalibrate one's mind, when envisioning what a 5500lb behemoth can do in terms of get up and go. Have only tried launch control once - no fuss, no fishtailing... it just hooks up, and hurls you towards the horizon faster than you can say "sorry officer - I didn't realize I was going that hard".....
Overtaking on the highway is amazing. I must say that it is a minor annoyance how readily the X6 changes up gears - in sedate driving, it changes up at 1500rpm- often, I am finding that I am in too high a gear to accelerate as I would like, but don't wish to invoke a downshift, either - minor inconvenience, really. I realize mpg numbers are important, but... I find I drive in S mode frequently, just to avoid this. I would have to give the engine an enthusiastic two thumbs up..... but having said this, I must say that while the power is wonderful - addictive, even, I often find myself downshifting to pass, loving the power, but then wondering why the party is over already at 7000rpm, and I'm already having to upshift - more on this, later. Shifts, at least, are really crisp in sport mode - they seem to bang off almost as quickly as DCT, which is an achievement (and, I am thinking, it just may give me a downshift when braking hard.... unlike the M3, which has let me down on more than one occasion on the track). I am finding myself driving in sport mode more and more, all the time, as it is that much more enjoyable.
As I said, our winter wheels/tires are on the car right now, so I can't really comment on the various aspects of handling. I do like how the steering weights up, even with the winter rubber. Feedback isn't as precise as the M3 (which, by the same token, is less sensitive than our previous e46 M3, IMHO), but body roll is minimal for such a huge car, and I am wondering if I just MIGHT venture out on the track with it, for shits and giggles this coming summer..... just to see

Overall rating? As a sporty SUV, I'd give it an A.

As an "M" vehicle? I'd give it a B-, for more than a couple reasons. Sure, the thing goes like shit through a goose in a straight line - especially when taking into consideration its not-inconsiderable heft. Having said that - when I accelerate in my M3, it is an aural, visceral, delight. One cannot help but love the engine wailing, as it hurls you ever forward. In the X6, I feel... kind of... detached. You know you're going hard, but the "pure joy" aspect of the experience is strangely diluted. The sound is strange - lessened, for lack of a better term. I may be in the minority, here, but I am just finding that a 7000 redline does not an M vehicle make.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that the XMs are an incredible achievement as a whole. I AM very much looking forward to the spring/summer, when we can get the summer rubber on there, which is why I refrain from commenting on handling aspects, and given the same choice, I would still recommend to my wife buying the X6M. She LOVES it. I do too, but it just does not give me that "man, I can't wait for the next drive" feeling, which occurs to me in the M3 (and even in the Z4M), even before I get out of the car.

Great SUV........ FABULOUS SUV, even.......

OK "M" vehicle. I'm thinking this one will NOT go down as a BMW classic.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by TTBear; 01-17-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Good review. I suspect if you are light on the throttle it will upshift at lower rpms as it thinks you want to cruise.
      01-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Great review Bear!

How was the ride quality in the city on the bumps etc.

Better/Worse then M3 with 19s...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Good review. I suspect if you are light on the throttle it will upshift at lower rpms as it thinks you want to cruise.
Thanks! Oh, yes, certainly, that is the case. However, even if you start off hard, then back off, it upshifts very quickly into a higher gear, something it doesn't do in Sport mode. I often find myself in at least 4th gear in town, and the speed limit in our sleepy little town is 40kph!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Great review Bear!

How was the ride quality in the city on the bumps etc.

Better/Worse then M3 with 19s...
Cheers! It's tough to say what it truly rides like, as the car is on 19" winter rubber right now. On our e53 X5 4.6is, the ride was considerably softer with the 18" rubber, as opposed to the 20" summer rubber. I'm thinking this will be the case with the X6 as well.
The ride with the winter rubber is excellent! Very complaint, and yet more than capable. With EDC on, it is slightly more abrupt, but even so, more than acceptable - and our roads are pretty bad....... much, MUCH better than the M3 on 19" rubber so far - I'm thinking the 20" rubber will likely ride better than the M3 on 19s, too... just a guess, so far, and thus the reason why I refrained from commenting
      01-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Your comment on how it is an M car compared to the others is interesting, one could rightly argue that the current M3 would be a B- compared to the feel of the E30-36 M3 so it's all relative. But compared to other SUVs do you think you can feel some M-ness there?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Your comment on how it is an M car compared to the others is interesting, one could rightly argue that the current M3 would be a B- compared to the feel of the E30-36 M3 so it's all relative. But compared to other SUVs do you think you can feel some M-ness there?
Quote:
I'm seriously struggling to understand this outburst.

I simply made the point that many people have been unhappy with the current M3 because they felt it was heavy compared to the very early examples of the breed and that the X6M probably feels similar when compared to the most recent M3s.

There was nothing in that statement about FI or N/A so I can't see why for this ranting outburst.

Please explain for this reaction other than a personal dislike for another member.
I actually think this is a valid question.

I, for one, am very happy with the current M3, and that is having driven iterations of the e30, e36, and e46 M3s (and owned an e46 M3).
I can appreciate the "M lineage" to a far greater extent in the M3 than in the X6M. This M3 still screams. It is still a great-handling car - not as raw as previous generations, but really, how many "sports" cars have not made concessions to weight, in the name of safety and amenities, throughout their cycle years? I lap considerably faster in my e92 M3 than I did in the e46, and I get out of the car with the same shit-eating grin, too.

For me, THAT is M-ness

For now, I can't see a WHOLE lot more M-ness to the X6M, as compared, say, the AMG ML, to be honest. With that statement, though, I reiterate that I have not driven the X6 in many situations which would allow me to evaluate its handling characteristics - something to which I am looking forward, for sure!

I do hope that come spring/summer, when the summer rubber goes on, the snow and ice disappears, and I can have fun of a different kind in the X6, then my opinion will change.

I hope.....

For now, the X6 seems to me, at least, to be a well made, good-looking SUV that pulls like a freight train, and has the potential to handle considerably better than the vast majority of SUVs out there.

Great SUV? Oh, yeah. M? Hmmmmmmmm.........

Last edited by TTBear; 01-17-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

I, for one, am very happy with the current M3, and that is having driven iterations of the e30, e36, and e46 M3s (and owned an e46 M3).
I can appreciate the "M lineage" to a far greater extent in the M3 than in the X6M.

For now, I can't see a WHOLE lot more M-ness to the X6M, as compared, say, the AMG ML, to be honest. With that statement, though, I reiterate that I have not driven the X6 in many situations which would allow me to evaluate its handling characteristics - something to which I am looking forward, for sure!

I do hope that come spring/summer, when the summer rubber goes on, the snow and ice disappears, and I can have fun of a different kind in the X6, then my opinion will change.

I hope.....

For now, the X6 seem to me, at least, to be a well made, good-looking SUV that pull like a freight train, and has the potential to handle considerably better than the vast majority of SUVs out there.

Thanks for answering that question. It will be interesting when you finally get to test it fully in the spring as to whether any of M-Divisions magic has indeed transferred to the X6M or whether it's just an extremely fast SUV and nothing else. I know owning both the Cayenne and other proper Porsche sportscars that some of what makes them special has rubbed off on it too but at the same time there is no escaping the fact that the Cayenne is one big, heavy monster of a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Hey thanks for the write up. On occasion I've been wavering, just, a tiny bit, towards the X6M versus my M3 which I'll be ordering in a couple of weeks (finally). Reason being out climate here of course, an all year vehicle vs a fair weather vehicle. But I'm glad I read your take on the X. Exactly what my dealer said when he was slapping me across the face as I enquired on the potential switch. I personally love the bigger "M" and am astounded by the power and driveability of such a large vehicle. But the M3 it is, winter or not.

Cheers and enjoy....both of them!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

OP - Thanks for the review on the X6M. I am already plotting my move. I was thinking of the X6M because by 2012 when my lease ends the M3 will be in it's last model year in all probability. I was thinking X6M or an M6 at that stage.... Hopefully the new M6 will be out by then. I am having no issues with the M3 in winter and therefore an M6 should also be fine in the winter.

Hope to hear more about the X6M from you in the summer!! Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Thanks for a very objective and neutral perspective. I agree it is quite a leap for an SUV, but definitely having an M badge on it changes the ballgame altogether.

I have had the opportunity to briefly sit as a passenger (not drive) in an X5 M at the dealership and was thoroughly unimpressed keeping in mind it was badged an M. The sound of the engine/exhaust was not worth mentioning.

For a 5500 lbs SUV, it did handle very well around corners.

Quote:
Great SUV........ FABULOUS SUV, even.......

OK "M" vehicle. I'm thinking this one will NOT go down as a BMW classic.

Just my two cents.
Again another great post in response to footie's ludicrous agenda against the current M3 where he always feels the need to find an opportunity to put down the E9X M3 and harp about "championing the cause of a non-existent turbo F30 M3". Calling the E9X M3 a "b-rated" M car over E46 and E36 like footie did is simply pure silly and foolish! (sorry southlight, no offense, but no other way to put it for such an "insult". It sounds really that heinous and ludicrous)

I own an E46 330 CI ZHP with M badges everywhere in the car (which some say handles better than a stock E46 M3 with a better, quicker steering rack) and at 3300 lbs is even lighter than the E46 M3. Yet, I think the E9X M3 is marvellous accomplishment despite the addition of weight. It handles substantially better than any other car in the past to have worn an M badge and also has the best and most flexible M engine ever (alongside the S85 V10).

Quote:

I can appreciate the "M lineage" to a far greater extent in the M3 than in the X6M. This M3 still screams. It is still a great-handling car - not as raw as previous generations, but really, how many "sports" cars have not made concessions to weight, in the name of safety and amenities, throughout their cycle years? I lap considerably faster in my e92 M3 than I did in the e46, and I get out of the car with the same shit-eating grin, too.

For me, THAT is M-ness

I hope.....

For now, the X6 seem to me, at least, to be a well made, good-looking SUV that pull like a freight train, and has the potential to handle considerably better than the vast majority of SUVs out there.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 01-17-2010 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

guys calm down, I don't think footie put down the m3 in this thread.

It is true that some members who went from e46 m3 to e92 m3 thought the new m was softer or less raw. So he was just using that point to ask the OP a question. Nothing wrong with that.

For me, I love the look of both the new m3 and x6m but I wouldn't compare them performance wise since it is quite apple vs orange here. x6m is still an SUV after all.

btw, new m3 is better than e46 or older m3 in everyway especially as a DD, it is a winner.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

I'm really getting tired of these endless arguments between you guys. I tried being lenient, but this doesn't seem to work. So, this is the very last time I deleted comments without giving infractions. I strongly recommend to avoid each other if you can't get along.

Now back to topic, please.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
How come this post wasn't deleted?

Unbelievable.
Sorry, missed that.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #14
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I'm really getting tired of these endless arguments between you guys. I tried being lenient, but this doesn't seem to work. So, this is the very last time I deleted comments without giving infractions. I strongly recommend to avoid each other if you can't get along.

Now back to topic, please.

Best regards,
south
South,

Since my post is the one deleted, I assume you are referring to me. If that is the case, hit me with the infraction, because at this point I really am tired of certain individuals invading every thread with a subtle, yet obvious back stab.

OP wrote a great review, and someone went to open up a can of worms. It gets old, really old, especially the following, "Who me? Not me, I would never do that" response.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

OP, thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. I have only seen one XM in person...and it was the XM6....thing looks downright menacing. Was wondering if you have ever been behind the wheel of a Cayenne Turbo?...any thoughts between the two if you have? I have driven a Turbo...and its a monster...I can only imagine what the brute force in the XM must be like!

I love your comments about the M3.....haha....just goes to show...even how great the XM's are....there is nothing like an M3!

Enjoy bro...and thanks for the great review!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
OP, thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. I have only seen one XM in person...and it was the XM6....thing looks downright menacing. Was wondering if you have ever been behind the wheel of a Cayenne Turbo?...any thoughts between the two if you have? I have driven a Turbo...and its a monster...I can only imagine what the brute force in the XM must be like!

I love your comments about the M3.....haha....just goes to show...even how great the XM's are....there is nothing like an M3!

Enjoy bro...and thanks for the great review!
Thanks! My pleasure.

I've driven a Cayenne turbo "S", and at the time, thought it was insane - again, mostly in a straight line. I do realize that an SUV is never going to handle like an M3, but it's tough not to automatically make a mental comparison. I'd say the acceleration between the X6M and the Cayenne is a wash, though. They are BOTH crazy fast, when you're talking linearly. Without having the benefit of back-to-back comparisons, and especially without having driven the X6M in dry conditions with summer rubber, I couldn't really comment. Gut feeling? In terms of my admittedly limited driving abilities, I think that I'd go with the X6M overall. Many magazine articles would seem to lend credence to that, as well......

Man, spring/summer just can't arrive soon enough...... sigh............
      01-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks TTBear for taking the time to PM me about the car. I look forward to your findings when spring finally comes round and you get the chance to fully explore this bad boy.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks TTBear for taking the time to PM me about the car. I look forward to your findings when spring finally comes round and you get the chance to fully explore this bad boy.
De nada, footie.

I am waiting with baited breath, as well.........