BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
MPOWER3D
Rep
Drives: Undecided

1st Post, M6 v M3 55k Budget

Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a used M3 or M6. I really need some input on the 3. I haven't driven a 6 yet, but I've ridden shotgun in one, and I must say, the Eisenmann Race and V10 is something to hear. I also drove a 335i coupe for a little while, I loved the car, but i still felt something missing. My dilemma with the 6 is that it's not the right car for me, look wise, I just can't picture what the hell I'd look like in that thing. But I can picture myself very nicely in a M3 coupe or Sedan. Also, if I'm looking to get either of these cars, what are you guy's thoughts on SMG and the Dual Clutch Tranny. I find having a manual a headache, considering there are a BUTT LOAD of traffic lights around here, and I'm still a noob when it comes to stick, but I don't mind doing work on my step dads Geo Prizm or Ford Ranger to get the hang of it. Before narrowing it down to these two cars I was HIGHLY considering a CLS63 AMG :/ but there's just something BMW has that MB's lack. I've been raised around BMW-aholics.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER3D View Post
Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a used M3 or M6. I really need some input on the 3. I haven't driven a 6 yet, but I've ridden shotgun in one, and I must say, the Eisenmann Race and V10 is something to hear. I also drove a 335i coupe for a little while, I loved the car, but i still felt something missing. My dilemma with the 6 is that it's not the right car for me, look wise, I just can't picture what the hell I'd look like in that thing. But I can picture myself very nicely in a M3 coupe or Sedan. Also, if I'm looking to get either of these cars, what are you guy's thoughts on SMG and the Dual Clutch Tranny. I find having a manual a headache, considering there are a BUTT LOAD of traffic lights around here, and I'm still a noob when it comes to stick, but I don't mind doing work on my step dads Geo Prizm or Ford Ranger to get the hang of it. Before narrowing it down to these two cars I was HIGHLY considering a CLS63 AMG :/ but there's just something BMW has that MB's lack. I've been raised around BMW-aholics.
I think you basically answered your own question. Get the M3!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I say m3. I hear the m5/m6 dct is really jerky so you might not like it in traffic as much as you might not like driving a standard in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: murder.

It's the same thing for me but I know deep down I want the M3. I would never consider the M6 if it didn't drastically drop in price like that. I think you are more attracted to the M3, but are also attracted to the, drive a M6 for 55k. Because to outsiders, your still driving a 120 thousand dollar supercar.

Good Luck!
      01-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
MPOWER3D
Rep

Eric, you're actually correct haha, it's also the image of driving a 100k+ supercar image. But in reality, I think the M3 is the nicer looking, more modifiable, and more daily car. I think it's a wrap, but before I do make a final decision, I do want to take both out for a spin, I know the dealers around me have a few M6's and 3's in stock, so hopefully I can get to it within the next month. My 335i was a AW/Coral Red with the Gray Ash trim. I'm thinking I want to do black on black, but every time I see a nicely modded 3 I tend to change my mind back to a different color haha. As far as coupe and sedan go, if there isn't a drastic performance difference between the two, I would rather have the sedan. Otherwise coupe will be the one for me. I'm very easily influenced and very stubborn, took me a while to let go of the CLS.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:

i think the m6 is one of bmws greatest cars, fun and good looking cruiser.

how old are you...i would factor that into the equation, im young so an m6 was not really for me, i think the m3 is the rawer ballsier option.

plus, there is somehting about new vs used that i cant handle.
      01-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

M3 DCT is better than M6 SMG by a mile. M6 is thirstier too (not that the M3 isn't). M6 weighs more too; styling on the M6 ain't my thing either.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
MPOWER3D
Rep

I'm pretty young...so that's one thing that's been pushing me over towards the M3. I know if I tell you guys my age, everyone is going to start ranting on me telling me, mommy and daddy are taking care of me. Which isn't true. My dad. And I'll save you the trouble of saying it. He's gonna be paying for my car and insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

M3 > M6.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
I'm pretty young...so that's one thing that's been pushing me over towards the M3. I know if I tell you guys my age, everyone is going to start ranting on me telling me, mommy and daddy are taking care of me. Which isn't true. My dad. And I'll save you the trouble of saying it. He's gonna be paying for my car and insurance.
wtf are you trying to say?
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
MPOWER3D
Rep

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not here for people to bash me because of my age. But seriously...on with the point, most of you guys here are telling me M3 over the 6. I'll let my instincts make the decision when I'm able to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

it's amazing what a great price you could get on a used M6 now... half the price! One thing with BMW, every $ counts for something. Original $120K price on M6 isn't nothing for nothing... it is much more of a car than an M3.
      01-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I think... with all this turbo "fuel economy" bs, M6 with it's thirsty V10 will be a collectors item pretty soon... so will be M3V8.
      01-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Get the M3. I owned an M6 and it was disappointing. The SMG isn't as good as the DCT of the M3 and as a few have mentioned the M3 looks better.

And don't even think about the CLS. I also owned a CLS55 and its just a big highway cruiser.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that I'm not here for people to bash me because of my age. But seriously...on with the point, most of you guys here are telling me M3 over the 6. I'll let my instincts make the decision when I'm able to drive one.
Well I'm not so young. But I absolutely love my E92 M3, it's extremely versatile and handles better than any Merc or Audi I've driven. In my opinion it also handles much better than an M6. Another thing to consider is that the M-DCT is light years better than the SMG. I speak from experience. I turned in my E46 M3 about 6 months ago and now have M-DCT in my E92. It is phenomenal. Also, modifying cars is not really my thing, but maybe the M3 is easier to modify than the M6, I'm not sure.

With all that said, the M6 will pin you to your seat. It has all kinds of torque. It is also on a different level than the M3 as far as curb appeal in my opinion. They are also equally luxurious inside and to be honest the ride of the E92 is similar to that of the M6 in my opinion. The E92 feels a lot like a GT car as opposed to the last generation E46.

Bottom line, drive them both and go with your gut. Either way your getting an amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
MPOWER3D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFreak14 View Post
Well I'm not so young. But I absolutely love my E92 M3, it's extremely versatile and handles better than any Merc or Audi I've driven. In my opinion it also handles much better than an M6. Another thing to consider is that the M-DCT is light years better than the SMG. I speak from experience. I turned in my E46 M3 about 6 months ago and now have M-DCT in my E92. It is phenomenal. Also, modifying cars is not really my thing, but maybe the M3 is easier to modify than the M6, I'm not sure.

With all that said, the M6 will pin you to your seat. It has all kinds of torque. It is also on a different level than the M3 as far as curb appeal in my opinion. They are also equally luxurious inside and to be honest the ride of the E92 is similar to that of the M6 in my opinion. The E92 feels a lot like a GT car as opposed to the last generation E46.

Bottom line, drive them both and go with your gut. Either way your getting an amazing car.
Exactly what I'm doing, I'm actually glad I dropped the CLS, I'm not into too much modification , but my cousin has a set of HRE's on his M6 that he's trying to part out. So I told him to hold on to those for me. That and the Eisenmann exhaust are definitely going to be the first things I do to the car. As time passes, I will do the interior carbon fiber trim, and a few carbon fiber goodies on the exterior of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I've driven the m6 smg and m6 manual. I wouldnt get the smg, its lethargic and intrusive. I would however get the manual m6 over the M3, and I own a new m3. M6 power is really fun! Its not as flickable, but its has much more presence.

PS, you're a spoiled brat. Teach yourself a lesson and go get a reasonable first car like a GTI or something.
      01-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

I'd get the M3. My M6 is thirstier than anything out there. 12 MPG on a good day, but I have a heavy right foot Other than that, V10 is godly. Maybe I'm alone here, but I think SMG, although sometimes dimwitted, works really well in spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
MPOWER3D
Rep

Well I really appreciate you guys giving me some insight. Note, this is not my first car, I've been driving my mom's old 98 Altima since July and I've since been in 2 accidents, and was not at fault for either of them, and they were both really stupid accidents, people really need to be aware of what's going on around them and also people should actually YIELD when making a left hand turn, just saying. I'm really edging towards the 3 because it's a more practical DD, insurance won't be as high as the M6, gas (not like a few miles makes a big difference, but my commute daily is like 2 miles, minus the going out after school and weekend driving) and I just can't picture myself in it for some reason. But like I stated earlier, once I drive both, I will decide.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Well I really appreciate you guys giving me some insight. Note, this is not my first car, I've been driving my mom's old 98 Altima since July and I've since been in 2 accidents, and was not at fault for either of them, and they were both really stupid accidents, people really need to be aware of what's going on around them and also people should actually YIELD when making a left hand turn, just saying. I'm really edging towards the 3 because it's a more practical DD, insurance won't be as high as the M6, gas (not like a few miles makes a big difference, but my commute daily is like 2 miles, minus the going out after school and weekend driving) and I just can't picture myself in it for some reason. But like I stated earlier, once I drive both, I will decide.

Be very careful, an M3/M6 is a very different car than your mom's old '98 Altima that you have been driving for only 6 months....

I would suggest you stay with the Altima for a couple of years...
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #21
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

M6 FTW. Hella cheap and that V10 sound.. My next car will probably be a used '08 M6
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #22
MPOWER3D
Rep

Personally, I think I've driven enough and have a good amount of experience. I drove my uncles 335 coupe for a about 2 months when he was out of the country, it was a great car. But then again, you're right, it's better to stick with a cheaper car for a couple of years.
Appreciate 0