BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

01-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
bmwrjs
Rep
Drives: NOne

Cayman S PDK

Thoughts on the new Cayman
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

One of the best driver's cars available right now.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car/index.html
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

I love the cayman and always will. Just wish it was a bit cheaper and had most of the creature comforts I expect on a vehicle of this price. Considering I only own one car, not having bluetooth for the phone and other normal items was a deal breaker.

Can't take anything away from them though, they are great fun if you dont need to haul much else with you.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Overpriced, awesome car.

I wish I could afford both M3 and Cayman though
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
I love the cayman and always will. Just wish it was a bit cheaper and had most of the creature comforts I expect on a vehicle of this price. Considering I only own one car, not having bluetooth for the phone and other normal items was a deal breaker.

Can't take anything away from them though, they are great fun if you dont need to haul much else with you.
Agreed. One of the main reasons I didn't go with a 06 911s. For that much money, not even having bluetooth, ipod connection and a working nav was ridiculous.

P-cars are great, but not best value.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrjs View Post
In the top three of best driver's cars on the market if you aren't power hungry or gasp at the price for all you get in way of standard kit. And when link to the PDK it's amazing but it still is using the awkward button system on the steering wheel instead of the paddles, whether this will be changing soon now that you 997TT is being offered with the paddles is any one's guess but without proper paddles I could 100% recommend the PDK, even though I know it's the best DCT available.

P.S.
I forgot to add this but if the TT-RS gets offer in the US in the near future it will be offered with Audi's version of PDK, complete with proper paddles right from the start. It's a more compelling engine than the Cayman and arguably a prettier shape and just as quick if not quicker on a back road.

Last edited by footie; 01-06-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
In the top three of best driver's cars on the market if you aren't power hungry or gasp at the price for all you get in way of standard kit. And when link to the PDK it's amazing but it still is using the awkward button system on the steering wheel instead of the paddles, whether this will be changing soon now that you 997TT is being offered with the paddles is any one's guess but without proper paddles I could 100% recommend the PDK, even though I know it's the best DCT available.

P.S.
I forgot to add this but if the TT-RS gets offer in the US in the near future it will be offered with Audi's version of PDK, complete with proper paddles right from the start. It's a more compelling engine than the Cayman and arguably a prettier shape and just as quick if not quicker on a back road.
Concur with you on the paddles (hate the buttons) and the styling (TT-RS is a menacing and beautiful car).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Coming from a 2007 335i coupe (JB3 map 5 and DCI), my Cayman S is certainly in a different category. The handling on the Cayman is superb and the power is better than I expected. It may not have the sheer power of my 335i but it excels in just about every other performance area.

It may not be a daily driver though and it is my second car. The PDK really shines when the SC is activated.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Great car but would rather have the 911 even though it is a "worse" handling car. There is something about the huge lack of power that I just can´t live with. Maybe I´m used to too much power!! Sorry that I can´t say I love it in every way.
      01-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigsTiger View Post
Great car but would rather have the 911 even though it is a "worse" handling car. There is something about the huge lack of power that I just can´t live with. Maybe I´m used to too much power!! Sorry that I can´t say I love it in every way.
Funny you should say that but after testing the latest Cayman S with PDK I can honestly say that up to 120mph I doubt I would feel short changed with what it had to offer compared to my then M3. Sure after that point the M3 would drift off into the distance but up to that point and on most back roads where straight seldom allow for triple figures I think this whole power hunger thing is simply in the mind.

I think most people that would chose the 911 over the Cayman is solely down to the fact that the 911 is the icon which everyone feels they have to own at least once in their lives if they want to own a Porsche at all. But it is surprising the amount of 911 owners that have made to switch to the lesser model purely because they prefer the handling of that car and have got the 911 thing out of their system.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Well said footie - I did test drive a 2009 M3 coupe and I was slightly disappointed in only one area; straight line performance. From 0 to 100mph or in the quarter mile, I think it would be very close compared to my Cayman. My 335i (again tuned) felt more powerful than both.

Also, with the nice increase in horsepower for 2009, 911 owners are not giving up that much if anything if they switch to the Cayman.

One other area that I was surprised about the Porsche was the beautiful/aggressive sound of the engine. Borla (among others) is coming out with an exhaust that eliminates the second set of cats and sounds even better!

The Cayman for me is a great second car while the M3 can even be a family vehicle in sedan form. Get whatever works best for your personal situation and they are both great cars.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Funny you should say that but after testing the latest Cayman S with PDK I can honestly say that up to 120mph I doubt I would feel short changed with what it had to offer compared to my then M3. Sure after that point the M3 would drift off into the distance but up to that point and on most back roads where straight seldom allow for triple figures I think this whole power hunger thing is simply in the mind.

I think most people that would chose the 911 over the Cayman is solely down to the fact that the 911 is the icon which everyone feels they have to own at least once in their lives if they want to own a Porsche at all. But it is surprising the amount of 911 owners that have made to switch to the lesser model purely because they prefer the handling of that car and have got the 911 thing out of their system.
Yea I think you may be right on why most would chose the 911, there is that something about a 911. On another note, I´ve had the fortune of going on a road trip with a number of Cayman S PDKs etc... so I have driven these to death until the PDK actually overheated in one of my cars and was huge trouble (not that I think this is a crap tranny at all though these things happen). Nevertheless after very spirited driving I know, at least for my taste, that it lakes power especially at high speeds when compared to even the stock M3. I should add however that I feel the M3 is a tad under-powered as well, which is why I upgraded to the stroker. Again, I may be very spoiled as I´ve grown used to sports cars with at least 500bhp (product of my own stable perhaps). Now, I think the Cayman chassis is simply on of the most capable and best out there as a starting base. If I ever buy one it will be because of that but I will imminently and inexorably equip it with huge engine modifications (since I feel it is hugely underpowered), Tech Art body kit, wheels/tries and suspension upgrades. It would be a monster of a car!!! lol!

If I may add that I have also had the unique pleasure of going on road trips with the new 911S as well as 4S with PDK and have track driven a number of Cayman´s, Boxter´s and 997 911 turbo (not the GT3, GT2 and some others that I would love to do so) and I often do drive a 997 911tt with Tech Art exhaust and ECU reflash.
      01-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

I'd love to take a spin in the new CaymanS w/ PDK. I bet it's an absolute blast and most likely a good bit faster than the '06 I had. I will tell you there is no denying the CaymanS is THE BEST handling car out there short of the much more expensive Scud. See slot car....truly amazing and will inspire the utmost confidence in even a novice driver. It is just too small and did not enough "balls" for me to have as a DD. My wife still misses it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
I'd love to take a spin in the new CaymanS w/ PDK. I bet it's an absolute blast and most likely a good bit faster than the '06 I had. I will tell you there is no denying the CaymanS is THE BEST handling car out there short of the much more expensive Scud. See slot car....truly amazing and will inspire the utmost confidence in even a novice driver. It is just too small and did not enough "balls" for me to have as a DD. My wife still misses it.
+1, very well said.
      01-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigsTiger View Post
Yea I think you may be right on why most would chose the 911, there is that something about a 911. On another note, I´ve had the fortune of going on a road trip with a number of Cayman S PDKs etc... so I have driven these to death until the PDK actually overheated in one of my cars and was huge trouble (not that I think this is a crap tranny at all though these things happen). Nevertheless after very spirited driving I know, at least for my taste, that it lakes power especially at high speeds when compared to even the stock M3. I should add however that I feel the M3 is a tad under-powered as well, which is why I upgraded to the stroker. Again, I may be very spoiled as I´ve grown used to sports cars with at least 500bhp (product of my own stable perhaps). Now, I think the Cayman chassis is simply on of the most capable and best out there as a starting base. If I ever buy one it will be because of that but I will imminently and inexorably equip it with huge engine modifications (since I feel it is hugely underpowered), Tech Art body kit, wheels/tries and suspension upgrades. It would be a monster of a car!!! lol!

If I may add that I have also had the unique pleasure of going on road trips with the new 911S as well as 4S with PDK and have track driven a number of Cayman´s, Boxter´s and 997 911 turbo (not the GT3, GT2 and some others that I would love to do so) and I often do drive a 997 911tt with Tech Art exhaust and ECU reflash.
Do you happen to have any vids of your E92 stroker? That sounds insane man

Here is what you would do with a CaymanS. These guys are located less than an hour from my house. They installed the coilovers on my old 996tt.
First class outfit.

http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Do you happen to have any vids of your E92 stroker? That sounds insane man

Here is what you would do with a CaymanS. These guys are located less than an hour from my house. They installed the coilovers on my old 996tt.
First class outfit.

http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/
Oh wow, now that is what I am talking about. First thing I would do is the Tech Art Wide body (look at below pic) and wheels as I have done on other Porsche´s, the car must look the part and I think the Cayman really lakes that aggressiveness. Second, serious engine mods like those you mention above to also "be" the part!! So, imagine the below with 485bhp!!!!!!!

You can find the vids that I have so far here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288953 one of the interior, on of the engine and one of the exterior.
Attached Images

01-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

^ oooh! That modded Cayman looks absolutely delicious.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
CORTDD
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Cayman S is an awesome car. It is a serious sports machine and in my mind purer than the 911. However, ride is rough, cabin is noisy, and interior is small. The M3 beats the Cayman S in ride comfort and space. Choose your poison. Can't go wrong with either car. Just be sure you don't buy a Cayman S looking for anything near a boulevard cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrjs View Post
Read this thread. All of it if you can.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289143