BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

12-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Chris_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Austin Yellow

Question Navigation Traffic Info (TMC) not working on my new m3...

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good xmas!

On my new m3 the traffic info (TMC) does not seem to work pretty much 90% of the time? Even at peak times if I go to the icon on the nav screen to see it just says there is no traffic info available at this time (or something like that).
On my previous m3 which was a 2008 model it used to have traffic listed there pretty much as soon as I started the car.

Anyone help me as to why?
I have checked in the options and I have ticked the "Recieve traffic info" check box...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Chris_UK
Private
Rep

It seems turning off the "REG" feature for FM radio seems to fix this...anyone else had this?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE92Edition View Post
It seems turning off the "REG" feature for FM radio seems to fix this...anyone else had this?
TMC in Europe uses RDS, and "REG" is the Regional Program feature in RDS. By turning "REG" ON you are forcing the RDS to not look to any other station with the same Program Information code (PI) in your region.

That other station in your region is the TMC.

REG ON is mostly used when you have an issue with RDS reception between two stations using the same PI so your tuner starts jumping from station to station depending which one have the strongest reception. If you are driving that becomes a problem, so you turn REG ON to "lock" either station in.

Although TMC is a data-only channel, by setting REG ON you are also in effect turning the feature off as it cannot receive the traffic data as the channel is "locked in" to another station.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Chris_UK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
TMC in Europe uses RDS, and "REG" is the Regional Program feature in RDS. By turning "REG" ON you are forcing the RDS to not look to any other station with the same Program Information code (PI) in your region.

That other station in your region is the TMC.

REG ON is mostly used when you have an issue with RDS reception between two stations using the same PI so your tuner starts jumping from station to station depending which one have the strongest reception. If you are driving that becomes a problem, so you turn REG ON to "lock" either station in.

Although TMC is a data-only channel, by setting REG ON you are also in effect turning the feature off as it cannot receive the traffic data as the channel is "locked in" to another station.
Ah hah! Excellent!! Thanks for the very useful info. Surprised its default is ON if it effects the TMC so badly.

Wahay, traffic info!!!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0