BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Where is the Audi RS5?

Does anyone have any updated info on the release of the RS5? I'm not in the market for a new car anytime soon - but just curious to see how it performs vs. the M3, ISF, C63 when it finally does come out...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

with the RS4
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
with the RS4
probably won't come state side like the RS-6
      12-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Probably not coming out.
      12-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Audi got issues getting good product into the US. Bring the RS5 and RS6 please.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
Audi got issues getting good product into the US. Bring the RS5 and RS6 please.
Agreed. The RS6 Avante is a 573 horsepower dream station wagon.
      12-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

It has to come out, the A5 is a really gorgeous car, imagine what an RS5 would look like, Audi is always late to come out against the competition, but, when it does, it blows them away, (m3 e46 vs rs4, e60 m5 vs new rs6)
      12-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
The RS5, like the RS6 is perfectly capable of being released in the US, but the simple fact is that Americans won't pay the price Audi need to charge for them. It's a shame really because you were missing out on some wonderful cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The RS5, like the RS6 is perfectly capable of being released in the US, but the simple fact is that Americans won't pay the price Audi need to charge for them. It's a shame really because you were missing out on some wonderful cars.
Hmm, thats debatable since you have BMW bringing in 100k SUVs like the X6/X5 M. I think the problem with Audi (as stated from my contacts that work at corporate and local dealers) is that they tend to lose money on the higher end products like the RS5/RS6 and make more money selling them locally (in Europe). For instance the Q7, never a great seller here, is a huge money machine for Audi in Europe. Another example is the S5. They basically break even, or lose money on every S5 that comes to the states, so they try to keep as much inventory in the markets they make nice profits...ie Europe, Middle East and our fav destination of late for hot cars...China.

Also note - Audi is the only big German make that does not build cars in the US, to offset costs. The X5/X6 is assembled (made) in SC. MB has a factory in Alabama I believe for the c series and other cars. Audi got to get their global game in check if they really want dominate the US market like its competitors. And bring hot stuff like the RS5/RS6 =)

2004 M3 in IR - Current
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Not being a US manufacturer is definitely one of the main reasons for their inflated price compared to BMW and Merc but it doesn't explain why their products don't hold their money compared to these rivals. Logic would dicate that limit supply would also mean higher residuals but you are saying the opposite, maybe the American consumer doesn't see Audi yet as a product of the caliber of the others.

I would personally have thought that it would have been these S and RS models which would have raised their profile, since it's these same models which are as good and sometimes better than the M and AMG models their compete against.

In any case we in Europe may pay more for our similar cars but at least we get the full range and not tit-bits.

Last edited by footie; 12-28-2009 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Logic would dicate that limit supply would also mean higher residuals but you are saying the opposite, maybe the American consumer doesn't see Audi yet as a product of the caliber of the others.
Sorry, but I think you misunderstood my point. I think people in the US will pay high premiums for cars like the RS5/RS6 (proof being the R8 and back in 2003 when the RS6 was sold here). Likewise they will pay premiums for cars like BMW's overpriced X5/X6 Ms.

My point was that for Audi, they simply look at the dollars and want to make money rather then bring in money-losing 'halo' cars to the US market.

My other point about a US-based plant is that it helps the German brands BMW and MB offset the currency exchange. If Audi had a similar US plant, that may ease concern for the dollar exchange and hence may entice them to bring in more cars like the RS5/RS6 (making up the lost gains on these cars with US build cars).

2004 M3 in IR - Current
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Does anyone have any updated info on the release of the RS5? I'm not in the market for a new car anytime soon - but just curious to see how it performs vs. the M3, ISF, C63 when it finally does come out...
Based on spy pics, I have to believe it will show up some time in 2010. I think Geneva 2010 is the most often talked about for the debut at this point. Of course, the car has missed at least three previous rumored auto show appearances so who knows. The next most logical one after Geneva would be Paris 2010, but that is almost a year away. That seems like too long to me.

As for performance, I think the 450hp N/A V8 is all but certain at this point. So figure performance will eclipse the M3, although it is not clear by just how much. We don't know what other magic tech Audi has planned yet. The GT-R should not be as fast as it is if you just look at it on paper, and theoretically the RS5 could be similarly surprising when it arrives. I am not guessing anything like GT-R level performance, but we won't know for sure until it gets here.

I share your curiousity about this car, and look forward to getting details next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I wonder if a bolt-on m3 can beat the new rs5

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Based on spy pics, I have to believe it will show up some time in 2010. I think Geneva 2010 is the most often talked about for the debut at this point. Of course, the car has missed at least three previous rumored auto show appearances so who knows. The next most logical one after Geneva would be Paris 2010, but that is almost a year away. That seems like too long to me.

As for performance, I think the 450hp N/A V8 is all but certain at this point. So figure performance will eclipse the M3, although it is not clear by just how much. We don't know what other magic tech Audi has planned yet. The GT-R should not be as fast as it is if you just look at it on paper, and theoretically the RS5 could be similarly surprising when it arrives. I am not guessing anything like GT-R level performance, but we won't know for sure until it gets here.

I share your curiousity about this car, and look forward to getting details next year.
The RS5 will have advanced aerodynamics (possibly similar to those of the M5) as well as adaptive suspension with I believe is to work in combination with those aerodynamic aids. Gearbox is to be more advanced than the DSG in the S4 with the inclusion of launch control. Performance will probably only be slightly quicker to 150mph than the M3 DCT but it's projected lap times are probably going to comfortably beat the M3.

One thing it won't be is a match of the GTR or even close to that. You have to remember that the GTR is under-rated because it's an FI engine and as such it's extremely easy to gain 10% without breaking sweat. The RS5 is a N/A and I believe is working closer to it's upper limit while still proving reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Harris
I wonder if a bolt-on m3 can beat the new rs5
It all depends on whether you believe it's official output is 450ps and not something similar to the S4. My guess is this figure is close to factual.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #15
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Maybe on the Audi board?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Probably not coming out.
+1, I have read that Audi had emission problems with the RS5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Maybe on the Audi board?
+1000
      12-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
+1, I have read that Audi had emission problems with the RS5...
I know that the RS6 did have issues on this front and that if it came to the US then it might have been pegged back 20hp from the 580hp the Euro cars got but with regards to the RS5, this is something new to me though anything is possible....................no matter howw unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One thing it won't be is a match of the GTR or even close to that. You have to remember that the GTR is under-rated because it's an FI engine and as such it's extremely easy to gain 10% without breaking sweat. The RS5 is a N/A and I believe is working closer to it's upper limit while still proving reliable.
Right footie, but I am not talking about raw power per se. I was referring more to the fact that the GTR can hang with and even beat cars on the track that weigh much less and have a much better power-to-weight ratio. As I said, the RS5 won't have GTR-like performance, but like the GTR, it too could indeed have surprising ability for its weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Maybe on the Audi board?
Nope. Not there either.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right footie, but I am not talking about raw power per se. I was referring more to the fact that the GTR can hang with and even beat cars on the track that weigh much less and have a much better power-to-weight ratio. As I said, the RS5 won't have GTR-like performance, but like the GTR, it too could indeed have surprising ability for its weight.
So many members rate REAL performance by acceleration I only highlighted that I didn't think it will be that much quicker than an M3, probably close to that of the 997.2 C2S with PDK.

I do happen to agree about it's handling, the S4 feels very agile for it's weight with great turn-in ability and quattro GmbH will improve on this but it will never feel as light footed as a Cayman or M3 for that matter but will probably grip longer than either. It's N-ring time will probably tell us more about it's real world performance than anything else, hopefully it gets a decent dry day as we all know how much track conditions effect lap times there.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Just had a look at a German forum where people tend to be well informed about Audi:

It will be launched in June (German market), so Geneva 2010 seems a safe bet. Like I said before, 4.2 V8 with 450PS (+30 compared to the R8 4.2), coupled with a double clutch transmission (MT later). There seem to be some rumors about a turbo being involved, but I doubt it (unless Footie drops another "").

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #21
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Just had a look at a German forum where people tend to be well informed about Audi:

It will be launched in June (German market), so Geneva 2010 seems a safe bet. Like I said before, 4.2 V8 with 450PS (+30 compared to the R8 4.2), coupled with a double clutch transmission (MT later). There seem to be some rumors about a turbo being involved, but I doubt it (unless Footie drops another "").

Best regards,
south
Originally there was development done on a FI unit, call it a joint research done along side the N/A engine but this engine wouldn't have been ready in time so the uprated 4.2FSI got the nod.

I did heard not everyone was in agreement about this decision so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the RS4 receives the newer FI unit when it gets launched a year or so later.

The engine is probably the least exciting part about the car, I'm much more interested in the aerodynamic aids and the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It will be launched in June (German market), so Geneva 2010 seems a safe bet. Like I said before, 4.2 V8 with 450PS (+30 compared to the R8 4.2), coupled with a double clutch transmission (MT later).
Thanks South. I hope it does finally arrive in Geneva. I've read that the V8 will benefit from developments made on the R8 V10 motor (they share a common architecture after all) and that it will thus have a higher redline than the 4.2L FSI V8 in the R8 V8 and old RS4 (probably not as high as the V10 though). Also, the base R8 will receive the new engine as well (I would not be surprised to see the V10 get a little power bump if this happens).
Appreciate 0