BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Omarko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Newbie into the 1 series with lots of questions

Hi guys

I am new here so please take it easy on me.

I am considering to join the world of BMW drivers however, within a reason. I know these cars are absolutely amazing and worth every dollar, however I have also other priorities.

Basically I would like to get one of the BMW 1 series. Can someone tell me what is the best car within this series I can get for $45k ? Im happy with demo / 2nd hand but of course with reasonable mileage.

I would like to steer clear from the 118 as that seems quite under powered. 125i would be awesome but would not fit the budget.

Also, I noticed the older 130 models are quite cheap (ie 2006) and are within the $40K range ... are they worth getting over lets say a 2008 120i ? Does the new model have more gadgets ? technology?

What will I be able to get for the 130 after 4 year finance ? Or otherwise what do I need to set the residual at to ensure the value of the car at the end of finance cover the residual payment.

What are the service costs like? What options are a must?

Any other thoughts / comments are welcomed.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

whatever you do don't test drive the 135i cos you will then sell a kidney to get one

there are 125i's going for 61k on carsales by dealers, stretch your budget to 55k and offer the dealers that.

if your basing everything on repayments and a big residual then the initial price is only large if the resale is tiny. a 125i will hold its value pretty well over the coming years because of its shape and cheaper non turbo insurance.

i know this advice is not what your after but i could not spend so much on a 120 hatch, a golf gti is a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Buy a GTI

/end thread
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Agree, GTI.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Hi mate,

I considered the 135i, 130i, and 125i.

In the end, my decision came down to residual value at the end of my lease (4 years) - due to body shape and engine wear - and pricing at the time.

I got a 125i - less insurance, the body shape will be the same when my lease is up (residual will hold value) and the non-turbo has less engine difficulties.

I'm not sure what type of residual people are going for with the 130.

But a good example of engine power can be found here:

130 on the left, 135 in the middle and my 125i on the right: http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rent=video.flv
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
whatever you do don't test drive the 135i cos you will then sell a kidney to get one
It's funny but it's true
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
Omarko
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks for the thoughts guys ...

this one actually looks interesting - LINK

I wonder how much down I can push the dealer ...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
delete-this-account
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
Buy a GTI

/end thread
i compared a GTi to a 130i.. was dead set on a GTi til i drove the 130i..

130i is better optioned, more power, more torque, faster, more unique/rare, and it's a better build quality inside.

The GTi was fun, but a little plasticy inside and felt like a $20,000 golf with a turbo and some leather seats.
I know the 130i isn't much more but build quality and options seem nicer on the 130i.. plus BMW inline 6 is always going to be sweeter to drive than a turbo 4 cylinder

having said that the GTi is an awesome car bang for your buck
      12-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
delete-this-account
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarko View Post

almost exactly the same as mine - including the BMW premium selection. except mine is auto. i pushed mine down $4k.. just make an offer and be prepared to walk away
      12-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
+1 on avoiding the 135i as it will club your other priorities over the head and bury them in a shallow grave.

Not sure what Taymaishu is on about with the N54 having turbo difficulties though, I'm guessing it's more of a "I've heard from a mate of a mate that turbo charged cars go boom so it must be true" comment.

The GTI is a fair call if the 135i was out of your reach, but if you were set on a BMW then you're right about the 130i. Six cylinders, 3L, well proven to be a great little sports hatch.

I tend to be an option minimalist (short-shifter, CF spoiler) as the standard fitment was ideal for me. Very individual choice, options. I don't believe they necessarily add a great deal of re-sale as some of the tech-gizmo's can be superceded by the time it comes to sell.

At the end it has to be drive it because you like it, don't peg your idea of "great" on what someone else likes as it might not be your cup of tea. Waiting for the "perfect" car may just mean the right one passes you by.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Omarko
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by intehnet View Post
i pushed mine down $4k.. just make an offer and be prepared to walk away
What was the final price you paid ? thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I was just thinking, a mate of mine has a 5 year old 320i, which is a 6cyl 2.3L or thereabouts? Could be another option if there's a few coming off-lease...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post

Not sure what Taymaishu is on about with the N54 having turbo difficulties though, I'm guessing it's more of a "I've heard from a mate of a mate that turbo charged cars go boom so it must be true" comment.

Four simple letters: HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
mac135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, black, auto, s'roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
The GTI is a fair call if the 135i was out of your reach.
Having just stepped out of a GTI for the 135i I can assure you you won't find a better car for under 50K than the GTI. Over 50K then the 130's etc come into play. In the end about how much you want to spend.- either GTI or 130 you are buying well IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Hey mate, glad you made it over from OCAU!

My only real comment is that I noted in your OCAU thread that you've pretty much written off the GTI... I urge you to reconsider and go for a test drive if you haven't - it's a great car. The interior is a notch below BMW, but at least the options list won't completely shaft your wallet!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #16
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Er... that spells High Pressure Fuel Pump... Not Turbo...

And to add something constructive to this post..
I too would pick a GTI.. had the 2.0T jetta and it was a great car!
also quite reliable and economical and fast!
heaps of info at MKV forums or consider the new MKVI
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #17
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Er... that spells High Pressure Fuel Pump... Not Turbo...

and what model is the HPFP failure mainly occurring to? Let's see...the 135! Mainly because the 125i/128i/130i DONT HAVE A HPFP. They only go on a turbo engine here... Duh.

Awaiting another witty response...

Last edited by Taymaishu; 12-14-2009 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Hi guys

I am new here so please take it easy on me.

I am considering to join the world of BMW drivers however, within a reason. I know these cars are absolutely amazing and worth every dollar, however I have also other priorities.

Basically I would like to get one of the BMW 1 series. Can someone tell me what is the best car within this series I can get for $45k ? Im happy with demo / 2nd hand but of course with reasonable mileage.

I would like to steer clear from the 118 as that seems quite under powered. 125i would be awesome but would not fit the budget.

Also, I noticed the older 130 models are quite cheap (ie 2006) and are within the $40K range ... are they worth getting over lets say a 2008 120i ? Does the new model have more gadgets ? technology?

What will I be able to get for the 130 after 4 year finance ? Or otherwise what do I need to set the residual at to ensure the value of the car at the end of finance cover the residual payment.

What are the service costs like? What options are a must?

Any other thoughts / comments are welcomed.

Cheers
Welcome to the forum!

I have got a 07 120D for sale (MY06 though) , and it would be between 30-35k .

Otherwise 130i is a great car. Unless you have a non-tax deductible debt, or if you are going to treat it as an expense, make much more sense to pay it off. If none of your car expense is tax deductible than you should really pay off the car first, as car is a depreciating asset. If it is tax deductible, and you have a house to pay off, better off to pay off that house and leave the car payment with maximum residual, you can claim for the loss later anyway. I am not a financial adviser, so you'll have to speak to one to get the best advice.

Re car: Depends on why you would like to drive a BMW - if you are after performance, then 130i 06 is definitely a better option than a 120i 08. Otherwise, if you just want something solid and nice to drive around, a 120i would be adequate, but I would probably pick a MY07 120i over the 08 as it has already depreciated more. Remember 130i will cost you more fuel, and on a 120D on another hand . I would also pick a 120D over a 120i as it have much more torque. 120i is still a nice car, on paper the BMWs always looks underpowered, but it has got great gearing and go mid range torque, and it is actually more than adequate - so I would definitely say the 120i is not underpowered. I had a E46 318i and I kept with the rest with 125 and 135 quite well. The diesel do have a initial lag, but once it's up and running, it kills the other cars.

Options: No options is essentials, but if anything, the sport seats is probably one that everyone would agreed that it is almost essential. There are some arguments about sunroof having better resale, but probably it will only make the car sell quicker.

Cost of maintenance: BMW are expensive to repair out of warranty period. It is not a Toyota, so things are deemed to go wrong. One way is to get a Premium Selection, and you'll have 12 months warranty. Otherwise, service cost is very economical as it doesn't require service much at all.

Any more questions, I am sure everyone will able to help!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Agree, GTI.
Definitely something you should re consider.

Quote:

Definitely a good option to consider. I squeezed about 10% when I bought the 120D and it was a demo, start low and prepare to battle on for every $.

Quote:
and what model is the HPFP failure mainly occurring to? Let's see...the 135! Mainly because the 125i/128i/130i DONT HAVE A HPFP. They only go on a turbo engine here... Duh.

Awaiting another witty response...
Our cars are still faster than yours
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #20
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
HPFP can be an issue in the N54, steer clear of ethanol in the fuel IMHO. I've had one go on mine but otherwise she has had no issues in 60,000 klms, seams more prevalent in the usa where ethanol content is higher.

Agree though, don't test drive a '35 if you cannot afford it, as it will ruin an otherwise fantastic ride in a '30 or '25 etc. BMW's are such balanced rides, even the lawn mower engined ones are great drives
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #21
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

agree with the GTI as a good choice, i was following a new one this afternoon and looked great. Maybe you can pick up a superseeded model for a good price.

Other alternatives to consider depending on your priority and gear box preference:
- 120 diesel hatch, have driven an auto and surprised me how fun it was
- R32 golf, a cheaper alternative to the 130. I considered one and from memory was down to $55k when i walked away
- WRX, MY09 steer clear of MY08. No euro glam but good performance bang. Have to admit i am a Subaru fan having driven one for the last 9 years

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #22
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac135i View Post
Having just stepped out of a GTI for the 135i I can assure you you won't find a better car for under 50K than the GTI. Over 50K then the 130's etc come into play. In the end about how much you want to spend.- either GTI or 130 you are buying well IMO.
Mini JCW $52K on the road, seen one guy gone it!