BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
E92 ///M3 seat height

Does anyone else feel like they are sitting on top of their car rather than down in it, if that makes any sense. Whenever I go from our 911 or my ///M Coupe to the ///M3 I feel like I can't get low enough and always feel as though im sitting on top of the car. Its not a comfort thing, more perception I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammered View Post
Does anyone else feel like they are sitting on top of their car rather than down in it, if that makes any sense. Whenever I go from our 911 or my ///M Coupe to the ///M3 I feel like I can't get low enough and always feel as though im sitting on top of the car. Its not a comfort thing, more perception I guess.
Have you been taking in more calories lately?

(sorry, I couldnt resist )
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Ideally you want 4 finger widths between your head and the ceiling so your eyes are looking out the middle to top of the windshield not barely over the gauge cluster. I guess you might be a fan of rolling in gangsta mode with the seat as low and the seat back as far back as possible. I have found tons of adjustability in the M3 seats. I would suggest you give it another shot as I feel perfect when sitting in the car. Now my truck I feel like I am sitting on top of it.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I came from an Audi B5 S4 and an e39 M5, so I don't have this problem...at all. Oh and I'm 6'2
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:

I get what you're saying, and I feel the same way.

They best way to fix that might be replacing the OEM seats with some shells and new brackets.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post

They best way to fix that might be replacing the OEM seats with some shells and new brackets.
How do you think racing shells would effect rear seat room with the sedan?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuggerat89 View Post
How do you think racing shells would affect rear seat room with the sedan?
I don't see it being worse, you can also get sliders for the shells. Now, if you add a cage, forget about the rear seat altogether.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

According to my wife, the seats are already too low on the floor (she likes to sit in a car like on a chair, which is more or less SUVs are). I wouldn't want it any closer to the floor either because the armrests are already too high, especially the door one. Guess it's a car design issue, because I use it all the way down, and at only 5' 10", wouldn't want it any higher as well. I can definitely see the problem for taller drivers, which is odd since Germans are said to be taller than my average American height. Yes, somebody taller can fit, but with the feeling of driving an SUV indeed. That's why a thorough test-drive is imperative before buying an expensive car. Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see it being worse, you can also get sliders for the shells. Now, if you add a cage, forget about the rear seat altogether.
Yeah, haha no cage for me. I ask because in all likelihood I am going to go for an E90. The idea of eventually having kids, the coupe is just going to be a pain and then with shells, pretty much impossible. If I can manage the E90, with shells, and child seats and not kill anyone, I think I might have the win/win situation I'm looking for.

BTW, I did feel a little high in the stock seats compared to my ZHP when I test drove, but I'm tall so it may have just been me. Not necessarily good or bad, just different
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

At least some one does! At 6'4'' its not my height that gives me this perception, its the feeling when im sitting ON and not IN the seat! I was also wondering if a set of aftermarket seats would drop the seat further and give a feeling of getting "Into" not onto a seat. We already have the car. I was not cross shopping.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Have you been taking in more calories lately?

(sorry, I couldnt resist )
haha its not the seat width i have the problem with....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I had this problem too. I ended up raising the seat a bit from the lowest and I actually prefer that now.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, haha no cage for me. I ask because in all likelihood I am going to go for an E90. The idea of eventually having kids, the coupe is just going to be a pain and then with shells, pretty much impossible. If I can manage the E90, with shells, and child seats and not kill anyone, I think I might have the win/win situation I'm looking for.

BTW, I did feel a little high in the stock seats compared to my ZHP when I test drove, but I'm tall so it may have just been me. Not necessarily good or bad, just different
Well, problem solved with the E90... it has these handy doors in the back for ingress/egress.

Quote:
At least some one does! At 6'4'' its not my height that gives me this perception, its the feeling when im sitting ON and not IN the seat! I was also wondering if a set of aftermarket seats would drop the seat further and give a feeling of getting "Into" not onto a seat. We already have the car. I was not cross shopping.
I'm 6'1 and my head is close to hitting the headliner when wearing a helmet, so it must be really close for you.

p.s. I think the 911's have the driving position preety much nailed. I the center of the steering wheel with the seat mounted close to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
p.s. I think the 911's have the driving position preety much nailed. I the center of the steering wheel with the seat mounted close to the floor.
Have you noticed that the pedal box on the 911 is pretty far off to the right? I thought that felt a little weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you noticed that the pedal box on the 911 is pretty far off to the right? I thought that felt a little weird.
Just slightly...

If you want to feel a crazy pedal box, drive a RT-10 Viper or a Shelby Cobra replica... talk about unomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just slightly...

If you want to feel a crazy pedal box, drive a RT-10 Viper or a Shelby Cobra replica... talk about unomfortable.
Yea the 911 has it slightly to the right... But OMG are you right about the vipers. I was in a 99' GTS and i dont think there is any way in hell that i could heal toe that thing!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea the 911 has it slightly to the right... But OMG are you right about the vipers. I was in a 99' GTS and i dont think there is any way in hell that i could heal toe that thing!
You can mash both of the pedals at the same time... does that count?

size 13 foot... does not work in that car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can mash both of the pedals at the same time... does that count?

size 13 foot... does not work in that car.
Ha +1 size 13 here as well....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
If you want to feel a crazy pedal box, drive a Shelby Cobra replica...
Yep. Only with driving shoes.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
I came from an Audi B5 S4 and an e39 M5, so I don't have this problem...at all. Oh and I'm 6'2
Having said this, there's a 996TT in my family and I've driven a couple of 7.1 GT3s and the driving position in those pcars is definitely preferable.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #21
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

OP, I saw somewhere people said that if you put in RD springs, u will get the low feeling like your 911 so you might wanna try that
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
OP, I saw somewhere people said that if you put in RD springs, u will get the low feeling like your 911 so you might wanna try that
Nah its not a ride height issue, its the interior seat height. Its like sitting on a chair vs in a bean bag or something like that...appreciate the suggestion though!
Appreciate 0