BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Yet another bizarre noise

I drive a UK right hand drive manual.

Thanks to this excellent forum I now know that the ridiculous clattering noise that you get when you disengage the clutch is normal.

I also know that the loud graunching noise from the rear end when negotiating the multi storey ramps in tight circles is normal (getting the diff oil changed next Thursday though).

The (very) irritating disc reading noise from the DVD navigation drive is also normal. (Interestingly I bought a dodgy disc which has camera locations and full UK post code lookup but don't use it as it makes significantly more whirring noises).

I wonder if anyone can explain, though, the guy who gently hits the cymbals from time to time. At first I thought it might be coming from the HI-FI but not so. It occurs sporadically at any speed and sounds like a like "zinging" noise (hence the cymbal analogy). It comes from somewhere to my right (door side)and low down. What the hell is doing this one?

Thanks. Mark
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Wow that's a new one. air conditioner dripping on exhaust headers? Exhaust cooling/heating causing expansion ticks? More details Mark. After hard driving? While stopped? Hot car/cold car? Too many concerts as a teenager!
      12-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Car can be hot or cold, fast or slow. Definitely not a leaking on something type noise. Sounds to be coming from the door? But can't be sure and can't replicate the thing. Really difficult to describe; it's loud enough to be noticeable - just sounds like "tiiiiissssshhhh" but not like something venting pressure; more like a spring uncoiling???
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I heard it too....very strange noise....it sounds like an electric motor running, it's very short, like 2 seconds....and it happened only with the engine running, car stationary, gear in neutral and the the driver door just opened.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0