BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

RFT Really Works

Today, my low tire warning light came on and it was cold and raining outside, so I thought it might be the cold weather caused the tire pressure to drop outside the pre-set threshold and triggered the warning.

So, I kept driving to work and waited until I got home from work to check. Holly cow, the driver side front tire had less than 10 PSI; and I drove around 60 miles averaging 80 miles on the highway and I did not notice a damn thing except the steering kind of slighty pull to the driver side which was a good indicator of low tire pressure.

My conclusion is our RFT does work to my satisfaction. So next time when I decide to ditch the RFT, I have to give it a second thought. Hopefully, the 3rd generation of RF will improve such that I don't have to switch.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i ///M Dinan S2;)

Im with you man. RFT's are for me! I caught a flat the day before Thanksgiving. Drove 70 miles at my normal pace (80-130) to the bar and picked up my drunken siblings and significant other...I filled the tire up once on the way. I then drove another 10 miles from the bar with 3 passengers. The day after Thanksgiving I had the tire plugged on which I easily drove another 300 miles. It lasted me up to today where I used my tire/rim protection to have the tire replaced. In seemingly typical fashion to my BMW experience the paperwork had not yet been filed and they wanted me to pay almost $400 for the work. After a few minutes I agreed to give a credit card in case the claim was denied. It was the first time a BMW employee actually fixed a situation for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

"You migth want to change that tire asap. As far as I understand these tires are only good for 50ish miles when they are flat (thats what the dealer told me)"

This is not true. They only said you supposed to drive not to exceed 50 mph when it is flat. After I refill the tire, it drives normal and no viusal damage.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
"You migth want to change that tire asap. As far as I understand these tires are only good for 50ish miles when they are flat (thats what the dealer told me)"

This is not true. They only said you supposed to drive not to exceed 50 mph when it is flat. After I refill the tire, it drives normal and no viusal damage.
actually if you run them when flat at all, they need to be replaced, you cant visually see the damage, at least that's what they told me

I"m not sure if 10 psi is enough to run them on without needing to replace them.

who put the plug in btw?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

If we have to replace the RFT after it got a flat, then it did not worth a shit.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If we have to replace the RFT after it got a flat, then it did not worth a shit.
correct, that's why I took them off, and bought AAA, we also have that bmw assist button, the m's dont even have runflats or a spare tire

they are better if you have a slow leak though

It's great, they ride better, grip a LOT better, holy crap do they grip better, and I have not seen that stupid yellow traction control light in ages
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The lack of understanding about run-flat tires is dangerous IMO.

They're an EMERGENCY measure. Not "I know there's no air in it but it's a RFT so I'm going to just drive on it anyway."

It scares the hell out of me to think about how many people are completely ignoring the low tire pressure indicator and driving around on these things flat for miles and miles.

This is why the system GM uses is better. It tells you the actual tire pressure instead of just telling you it's low. The BMW system is so prone to false alarms, people ignore it. You wouldn't do that if you saw the tire only had 10PSI in it instead of just being a couple of PSI low.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The lack of understanding about run-flat tires is dangerous IMO.

They're an EMERGENCY measure. Not "I know there's no air in it but it's a RFT so I'm going to just drive on it anyway."

It scares the hell out of me to think about how many people are completely ignoring the low tire pressure indicator and driving around on these things flat for miles and miles.

This is why the system GM uses is better. It tells you the actual tire pressure instead of just telling you it's low. The BMW system is so prone to false alarms, people ignore it. You wouldn't do that if you saw the tire only had 10PSI in it instead of just being a couple of PSI low.
+1 on all accounts.
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Since (for our own good, one assumes) we are shielded from distracting info on battery/charging system condition, water temp, oil pressure, etc., etc., why would we be trusted to interpret complex data such as tire psi?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

If BMW can display each tire's PSI, then we can make a better informative decision whether you should continue to drive as is (say you are only 4 PSI low which may due to outside temperature) or the problem require immediate attention (as in my case if the PSI drop more than 20).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Since (for our own good, one assumes) we are shielded from distracting info on battery/charging system condition, water temp, oil pressure, etc., etc., why would we be trusted to interpret complex data such as tire psi?

Tom
I guess we can't, according to BMW.

It's a little bit sad that GM considers its customers smart enough to deal with such things, and BMW doesn't.

Also, on some newer GM cars the multifunction display will give you actual water temps, battery voltage, and some other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If BMW can display each tire's PSI, then we can make a better informative decision whether you should continue to drive as is (say you are only 4 PSI low which may due to outside temperature) or the problem require immediate attention (as in my case if the PSI drop more than 20).

The sad part is, the system they're using is completely capable of that. The information is being passed to the ECU for interpretation, and they just choose not to allow us to see it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

dont you dare doubt the german engineering it knows better than you what you should know
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
I guess we can't, according to BMW.

It's a little bit sad that GM considers its customers smart enough to deal with such things, and BMW doesn't.

Also, on some newer GM cars the multifunction display will give you actual water temps, battery voltage, and some other stuff.
Glad to see GM is coming around. IIRC, they were one of the first to substitute idiot lights for oil pressure & gen/alt gauges back in the late 50's.

I usually request a subcompact loaner when either of my cars is in for service & recently the small Hyundai or Kia I was given was handling quite badly. A couple of button pushes & it was simple to discover that one tire had only 13 lbs. of pressure.

Maybe I could order a Korean spec model for my next BMW.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
dont you dare doubt the german engineering it knows better than you what you should know

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Glad to see GM is coming around. IIRC, they were one of the first to substitute idiot lights for oil pressure & gen/alt gauges back in the late 50's.

I usually request a subcompact loaner when either of my cars is in for service & recently the small Hyundai or Kia I was given was handling quite badly. A couple of button pushes & it was simple to discover that one tire had only 13 lbs. of pressure.

Maybe I could order a Korean spec model for my next BMW.
Tom

I think they really are coming around. Some of these companies are realizing that enthusiasts like to know what's going on with their engines. Most cars today that have gauges have them dumbed down and buffered to the point that they're not even useful.

I think putting the information in the multi-function display is a pretty good solution. It lets us see what's going on when we want to, and it prevents all the dumbasses from bringing the car in every time a needle fluctuates during normal operation.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
bimmer billy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red BMW 135

I drove from NYC to NJ with a 1/2inch gouge so big you could see the inside of the tire.

2008 Sedona Red 135i, JB3, Injen intake, 35% tint, Performance Rims, Performance Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, Boston Leather, Glacier Aluminum, iPod/USB, Sports Package w/ shifters,
Premium Package, Heated Seats, Xenon's.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
According to BMW and Bridgestone you should replace that tire after using it in a runflat state. How safe is it really? I don't think anyone knows which is why the official word is to replace it. At about $300 (not including mounting and balancing), it aint cheep.
      12-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

"According to BMW and Bridgestone you should replace that tire after using it in a runflat state."

I think you have to consider the replacement option on a case by case basis. In my case, the tire was not deform and showed no sign of damage, so I am going to patch it first and see how it goes instead of replacing it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
"According to BMW and Bridgestone you should replace that tire after using it in a runflat state."

I think you have to consider the replacement option on a case by case basis. In my case, the tire was not deform and showed no sign of damage, so I am going to patch it first and see how it goes instead of replacing it now.
They say 50miles at 50mph max because the sidewalls heat up when you're driving on it with no pressure. If you keep driving on it, at higher speeds or longer distance, the tire could heat up enough to fall apart. The worst situation is you could weaken it but not enough to fall apart and it still looks good.. then it blows out later after you have it patched.

I agree; If you don't want to replace the tire it would be wise to keep putting air in it until you can have it patched. Don't drive the hell out of it with no air pressure.
      12-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

It costs BMW $676CAD to replace a brand new rear RFT on my BMW and I was warranty covered =)

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

RFT's SUCK! End of story.
(your opinion may vary)
Appreciate 0