BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

11-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
New iDrive Questions

Hey Guys:

Now that I have the new iDrive, there a few things that don't seam to make sense, especially when compared to the iDrive in my 2007 cars.

***I used to be able to say Call XYZ from any place in the system and it would dial the number. Now it does not understand until I say telephone-- phonebook-- call XYZ. That seems backwards.

***When I switch traffic on, my screen goes to a grey monochrome vs normal color. Is that normal. Seems weird to me.

*** I also read that you can say the entire address string at one time and it will take it. Mine doesn't. I have to say City--Street--house number-- all seperately.

Is anyone seeing something different??

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
richj777
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hi, I don't use the voice commands much at all. I know if you say dial followed by a number (not a name) it will work that way.
The nav screen had me baffled for a long time as well. Press options, then turn off traffic mode. Now your colors will work as well as your night mode. Unfortunately, night mode is not connected to the auto headlight function or the headlight switch at all. You have to turn it on and off every time. Traffic mode only highlights heavy traffic a little better than the regular mode, but the colors are terrible, so I leave it off.
2009 E92 JzB/FR/4MX:ZCW:ZPP:ZTP:752:655:6FL:415
3M 20%:3M clear mask:matte black front and side grilles:SilverVision rear turn signals:reflectors delete:Euro headlight switch, w/o front fog button:6000K LED Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richj777 View Post
Hi, I don't use the voice commands much at all. I know if you say dial followed by a number (not a name) it will work that way.
The nav screen had me baffled for a long time as well. Press options, then turn off traffic mode. Now your colors will work as well as your night mode. Unfortunately, night mode is not connected to the auto headlight function or the headlight switch at all. You have to turn it on and off every time. Traffic mode only highlights heavy traffic a little better than the regular mode, but the colors are terrible, so I leave it off.
So...when you turn traffic on, your screen goes momochrome as well??? I don't get why it would do that.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richj777 View Post
Unfortunately, night mode is not connected to the auto headlight function or the headlight switch at all. You have to turn it on and off every time.
That's weird bc in my parent's F01 the day and night mode are connected to the headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

I programmed one of the radio presets to toggle the day and night modes. But yes, if you turn on the traffic mode, the screen gets screwy and the night mode disappears.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
SICK BMW
09 Bmw M3 E93, 06 Ford CVPI, 90 Mustang SC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW E93 (SOLD)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Hey Guys:

Now that I have the new iDrive, there a few things that don't seam to make sense, especially when compared to the iDrive in my 2007 cars.

***I used to be able to say Call XYZ from any place in the system and it would dial the number. Now it does not understand until I say telephone-- phonebook-- call XYZ. That seems backwards.

***When I switch traffic on, my screen goes to a grey monochrome vs normal color. Is that normal. Seems weird to me.

*** I also read that you can say the entire address string at one time and it will take it. Mine doesn't. I have to say City--Street--house number-- all seperately.

I have the same issue Arnie, let me know if you figure it out...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICK BMW View Post
I have the same issue Arnie, let me know if you figure it out...
I have a call into the Nuance Representative. I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No response from the Nuance Rep. He just won't call me back.

The other thing that drives me crazy is it inverts the phonebook names to last name /first name. Has anybody figured out a way to change this???

Please

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Hey Guys:

With the newer iDrive say "Phonebook", the nice lady will then ask you to choose a name or entry, say it. If there is only one number associated with that entry it will dial it automatically. Otherwise you will need to choose. Not sure how that works as I don't have any examples in my phonebook because that doesn't work so well in the older iDrive.

The "traffic mode" you are referring to is a dedicated traffic condition view. By going monochrome I think the intent is to help you see the traffic conditions as reflected on the map. Otherwise they might be lost or difficult to see. You can still see the traffic conditions on the normally colored map, it's just that when you select "traffic mode" the display will alter to emphasize that information.

With respect to your use of the full direct voice entry it seems that some here say they have it and some don't. Someone even posted that this feature was delayed until March/April to be included with the 2010.5/2011 changes.
Appreciate 0