BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

Valentine Radar

Will it work in germany?

I dont know how they enforce speed there etc, however, my friend wants to get one and i dont want him to buy it if it wont work for him...

any feedback?!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I took mine last time I was in EU and it worked from what I could tell.
They use a lot of speed cameras over in EU, and you really need to watch out for those. Hopefully one of the members from Germany can be of more assistance.
      11-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Yes, it will work in Germany. The V1 has a built in "EURO" setting that needs to be enabled so that you get Ku band protection (which a lot of european photo radar uses). Check the valentine website for instructions on how to enable it.
      11-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Here you go buddy (V1 programming instructions): http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

But be aware only the newest models have the 'euro mode'. By plugging your serial number in the 'upgrade' section you'll know your software version, then you'll know the features you have on the above link. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

The V1 will definitely work in Europe in Euro mode and several companies sell them here (as contraband, see below) for 2 to 3 times the US price...

Before you or your friend consider bringing the V1 to Europe, be aware that radar detectors (RDs) are illegal in Germany, France and most of Europe except the UK. Police in France (can't say for Germany) definitely use various devices to catch folks using RDs and the fines are around 1500 euros ($2300) or more, plus they confiscate the device (and may in some cases impound the car as well). It is considered to be a very serious offense to use one here, akin to reckless driving or evading the police in the US.

The other thing to consider is that for the most part a V1 (or any other RD) won't be as useful in Europe as in the U.S. because most speed enforcement is done using low-power photo radar units or with photo units that use road strips for measuring speed (or if a mobile unit, a laser). The fixed photo radar units are usually pretty easy to spot and are intentionally placed to slow you down. The mobile units (either tripod mounted or in a car, usually a station wagon) use a very low power radar unit that sits diagonally off the side of the road, usually just after a bridge, and you probably won't detect the signal until the flash goes off.

You are much better off, both in terms of what works and what is legal, to get one of the GPS radar warning devices (like the InfoRad K1 that runs 39 euros). The GPS units are legal in almost all of Europe (but not in Germany I think), but in any case, they are not actively emitting any signals that can be detected (unlike the V1). The GPS unit will tell you about fixed radar sites and give you a warning of "risk" zones for mobile radar. You update the K1 every couple of weeks on the computer to get the latest database. It covers all of Europe and now the U.S.

If you are going to live/travel outside of Germany, there is another option that is more expensive but works better than anything else I've ever used anywhere...it is called "Coyote" (www.moncoyote.com) and has been on the market in France, UK, Belgium/Holland for a while. Several friends of mine have it here in France and it is brilliant. I will try to borrow one to take photos and post a review one of these days.
Appreciate 0