BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Touch-Up Paint.. F**K!

Some absolute *** **@^!@ #^!*&^!@& @$%!^!*@ merged into me yesterday morning on the way to work.

I've filed a police report (failed to stop after a collision).

The car is surprisingly in fantastic condition - his tyre rubbed on my front left corner and looks like it has 'burnt' the paintwork.

The burnt part is about 3-4 inches long, just on the edge of the wheel arch, front left corner. It's a lovely brown/yellow colour, and i've tried to rub it off, but i can't.

What do you recommend? I've got all the dick's details for an insurance claim if it needs to be sprayed, but because it's so minor, I don't want to go to that length.

I'm thinking of touching it up, but does anyone have a colour code to match?

I hate this... Not even 3 months old and some bastard decides he can't drive and hits me - and i couldn't do anything about it - and MY car gets damaged

Poor Christine
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

What, someone ran into you and then just drove off?

EDIT: Do you think it will polish off? Any pics of the damage?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk130i View Post
What, someone ran into you and then just drove off?

EDIT: Do you think it will polish off? Any pics of the damage?
I'll take pics tonight.

I'll try to get into with a clay bar and then buff, but it seems like the paintwork is actually burnt - which I think is going to require a small touch job

Yep - hit me and just drove off.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

GRRRRR -- why do all the idiot drivers aim at nice cars. Why can't they just drive themselves in walls or off bridges.

Unless you were both travelling pretty quickly, I can't imagine it "burning" the paint (anything's possible though). More likely a heavy "scuff" mark.

Before trying to touch it up, I'd try all available less dramatic methods first. Do you have a "paint cleaner" - a chemical cleaner (not thinners), like meguiars, or similar. It has similar abrasive properties to milk - but it is a mild chemical cleaner, and can be used with a machine for greater impact. Then work up from there, through something that removes swirls and marring, to a light compound that'll remove light scratches. Personally, I'm not game enough to go beyond that.

That'd be what I'd do - but I really don't like touch ups, because I've never had any luck doing them with a good result. They always end up looking like they've been touched up (drrrrr). And I'm not good enough to get into wet sanding to get the level right. And even if i could, I don't think you can touch up the "clear" on top.

Others may be able to tell you how to do a quality touch up. I know I'd love to be able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

I recently used Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound to remove some bad bird etchings and it worked perfectly. This may work but if not give the touch up guys a call. They do an excellent job.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Thanks bfi, yeah - bloody frustrated at that!!!!!!

We were both doing about 60km/h...Not sure how it managed to come up in a brown/rusty colour, since his car was black, but it's definitely noticeable.

I'm going to start with some light abrasive for sure. I'll see if i can get it out, but it really does look like the brown goes under the outer coat

I touched up my old subaru after i was silly enough to take a nice 2inchx2inch chip out of the paintwork on the boat, and it wasn't too bad but if you knew it was there you could see it.

Perhaps white is a little more forgiving than red!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Bastard... the perils of living in the city (on the other hand we have "furry" perils and stone chips to contend with in the country. Actually I just noticed yesterday my front bumper is peppered with lots of small stone chips).

I wouldn't be attempting to fix it myself. Since you have the culprit's details get a professional to do it and claim it on his insurance.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Post pics to help us give better informed advice. Touch up paint would personally be a last resort to me, unless it chipped paint off. Based on your description, try a rubbing compound; but once again, pics would help us give a more informed answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I think you should report and have it assessed by the insurance company first before touching it. A professional can touch it up if you don't want a respray.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I think you should report and have it assessed by the insurance company first before touching it. A professional can touch it up if you don't want a respray.
100%... The last thing you want to give Christine is a dodgy "touch up"..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry to hear about the incident, I had a similar thing happen to me in my E46. I would go through insurance so you are 110% satisfied. If the other driver is at fault you shouldn't have to pay an excess.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #12
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
hehe, i just noticed you names your car Christine.
I feel for you, i had a hit and run on my car not long after i got her.
Pics are definatley needed. But i dont think i would attempt a home touch up job of any kind on my car!! To risky if you make a mistake. Might end up looking worse!
      10-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #13
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Tough luck mate. I had the exact same thing happen to me on a fwy many years back on my Integra. Filed a police report but of course, no action ever came out of it. Not sure why, but i never went through insurance...

As recommended, I'd try a paint cleaner and then clay bar. Not sure whether a cutting compound is the answer... I've heard some might actually take the clear coat off the paint.

If nothing, then take it to the professionals.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #14
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sarah~ View Post
To risky if you make a mistake. Might end up looking worse!
Yep for sure, if its just a small area try a prof touch up company who sprays the area. If that's not good enough go insurance.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #15
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
I'd also try some prepsolve or even some Iso propyl alcohol. The prepsolve is a paint thinner, but if used gently without too much friction it can work really well. Whenever any of our company cars have hit walls etc we have used it to remove paint and after a bit of polish it works really well.

I am located in Brookvale and have access to both in case you want to test it out. send me a pm and i'll give you the address if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #16
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

ohhhhh i feel for u ... i would have road raged the %$^# .. but thats me ^^
      10-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Ok, looks like there's a pretty good consensus here. I had a crack at her this evening (really sorry about no pics yet - the light has been crap) with some cream polish and it seemed to have dulled the mark down just a smidgen.

I'll take it to a sprayer on Saturday (its the tiniest mark but I HATE having Christine marked like this, especially from a wanker's car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
ohhhhh i feel for u ... i would have road raged the %$^# .. but thats me ^^
What I settled myself down, i made up for well and truly in emails back and forth with the company director of the car who owns it.

What a goose - who hits and runs anyway, even when you get the plate and its obvious you did? And then, who does that in a work-branded car!?
Appreciate 0