BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

09-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

V1 Mirror Project- V1 Dissection - smart people please help

UPDATE/EDIT: This thread is now pretty much worthless because I realized that Valentine sells a "remote audio adapter" which is basically a separate power selector. You can disregard (mods can delete) unless you want to see pictures of the Valentine 1 taken apart.

Gents,

I'm working on a DIY for the integrated V1 display in the OEM mirror (similar to the one done by AI Design...just not $1500). I've already figured out the etching on the mirror, I just need to figure out how to separate the power button from the rest of the V1. I've attached a few pics of the dissected V1. If somebody out there is smart with wiring, electricity, V1, etc. please take a minute and look at how the power selector is connected to the unit. I'm hoping to figure out a way to detach it and solder it with new wiring. The only other thing that I could think of is to put the entire V1 module up above the map lights in a permanent on position and then buy two remote displays (one for the display in the mirror, and the other one to mount somewhere in the car to use the mute button when I want to turn the V1 "off").

I'm also curious about how this is going to degrade the V1's capabilities (good video here:
). I know I'll lose laser entirely, but am curious about front and rear detection. Seeing that nobody with this mod from AI design has done an actual test, I'm hoping to experiment and figure it out for myself (and everybody here too ).

Thanks for any help in advance...
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Windy; 09-18-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

DIY for mirror etching? I'm curious how you did this
      09-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Big Windy, I love the enthusiasm. One concern or thing to keep into consideration is ease of removal. Not for resale purposes, but to send the unit back to Valentine for updates as they are constantly improving the software and sometime hardware.
Good luck!
BRDHNTR

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Okay, I am officially an idiot...just checked Valentine's site...they have a remote audio switch with a power selector. i guess that solves that problem!
      09-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
thats what it looks like in the inside.. bump for you
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

I'll be doing the side by side test of a stand alone V1 and my mirror tomorrow morning. My stand alone was in my GFs 335 that has been at the body shop for 3 weeks having the MTech front put on it. I'll post it up tomorrow afternoon. I am expecting that the stand alone will detect the falses much sooner, and with a greater signal strength than my mirror. I am curious to see if there is a differance between the carbon roof, and those with a metal roof.
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep

[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S6tjcdMrbWg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S6tjcdMrbWg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]

The stand alone definitely picked up more signals (4, with a brief 5th hit) than the Mirror did (2 steady), but signal strength, while stronger on the stand alone, wasn't too different.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Is that the factory glass? Why is the V1 display so dim vs the compass?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
DIY for mirror etching? I'm curious how you did this
Bump. I want to know as well.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
V1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
One concern or thing to keep into consideration is ease of removal. Not for resale purposes, but to send the unit back to Valentine for updates as they are constantly improving the software and sometime hardware.

BRDHNTR
Are they? I checked their website 6 months ago for an upgrade on my 6-year old unit and it said it was up to date. Seems like they are resting on their laurels. Where's GPS? Where's lidar jamming output? How about even a minor cosmetic upgrade to the case in what, 8 years or more? Was state-of-the art but is rapidly getting outmoded. Few cops around here use radar any more, and if you get a lidar alert you are likely already toast. The much ballyhood directional arrows were innovative back when, but those alone won't do it any more.

I haven't even bothered to put mine in my car for the last 18 months.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Are they? I checked their website 6 months ago for an upgrade on my 6-year old unit and it said it was up to date. Seems like they are resting on their laurels. Where's GPS? Where's lidar jamming output? How about even a minor cosmetic upgrade to the case in what, 8 years or more? Was state-of-the art but is rapidly getting outmoded. Few cops around here use radar any more, and if you get a lidar alert you are likely already toast. The much ballyhood directional arrows were innovative back when, but those alone won't do it any more.

V1 still works perfect as is for me... I have a separate LI system for LIDAR. But have never been hit with it.... Almost all cops here are still using radar and when they are trying to be sneaky they use instant on. I've tried a few other new systems and none are as sensitive as my V1, none have the arrows which I find extremely helpful. The GPS features are only OK on the others. One problem I've had with GPS is if there is heavy traffic blocking the usual false and you pick it up from just a slightly different location then it fails to block it. Also I prefer the V1 strategy of allowing me to decide what's false or real threat. I also like the simplicity of only one button on the V1 and it's location on the face allowing me to place it as high to the roof as possible....

But back on topic, the button location doesn't matter if you remote it and use the stealth mirror install. Still curious how the mirror was etched?
      10-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

As far as I know the newer BMW mirrors have the silvering placed and sealed between 2 pieces of glass, making it impossible to "etch" or otherwise remove any section of the mirror. Not sure what the solution was in the above example. I replaced the glass in mine with a custom fabricated translucent mirror, which eliminates the etched pattern and the led's are only visible when they are illuminated. Also installed the wideband and boost gauges in the mirror in my HPF M3.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

Greg,

You can check on your V1 which version of software you have and maybe send it for repair ($45) which seams to be the best bet ... My V1 was pretty dead, and after getting it back it became alive again ...

http://valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

If you want to get protected from Laser guns you need to get LI no doubt ...

Here is the latest test on RD ... V1 is still a winner

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...rapped-up.html

http://www.guysoflidar.com/radar-det...rld-tests.html
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
As far as I know the newer BMW mirrors have the silvering placed and sealed between 2 pieces of glass, making it impossible to "etch" or otherwise remove any section of the mirror. Not sure what the solution was in the above example. I replaced the glass in mine with a custom fabricated translucent mirror, which eliminates the etched pattern and the led's are only visible when they are illuminated. Also installed the wideband and boost gauges in the mirror in my HPF M3.
It looks pretty cool ... any more info on that translucent mirror ?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
It looks pretty cool ... any more info on that translucent mirror ?
A friend of mine owns a glass company and cuts the mirrors for me out of a very expensive piece of commercial glass. The new mirrors also have to have a custom coating applied to allow the led's to illuminate properly, etc. I connect the V1 mute button to one of the existing homelink buttons.. it's kind of a pita. I've done a few for friends locally, send me a pm if you're interested and I'll be happy to help you out with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Bump. I want to know as well.
Quote:
that's 100 percent correct. the silvering is between two pieces of glass, so it is impossible to etch. i was misinformed. the etch itself can be done with an etching kit, but you'll need to obtain a new two-way mirror and have it custom cut for our mirror housing. in doing so you lose auto-dimming.

i'm not willing to sacrifice auto-dimming, so i have abandoned this now that i know i was wrong about etching our mirror.
      10-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Greg,

You can check on your V1 which version of software you have and maybe send it for repair ($45) which seams to be the best bet ... My V1 was pretty dead, and after getting it back it became alive again ...

http://valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

If you want to get protected from Laser guns you need to get LI no doubt ...

Here is the latest test on RD ... V1 is still a winner
Mine works fine for what it does, and as I said in my post the software is up to date. Just seems like refinement and innovation over its life has been glacial.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

This is really cool props. So do you loose the autodimming feature and compass
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
This is really cool props. So do you loose the autodimming feature and compass
You can keep the compass, but it starts to really look crowded - plus the colors are different so it doesn't quite look right. I took the compass out when I did mine. You lose auto dimming but so far I haven't been able to notice any difference unless someone's right on my bumper with high beams on. My windows are tinted so that cuts out most of the glare anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #20
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is that the factory glass? Why is the V1 display so dim vs the compass?
Mine is the factory mirror. The reason my V1 display looks dim compared to the compass is that the BMW OEM compass has a cutout, while the V1 display is behind the glass.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Mine is the factory mirror. The reason my V1 display looks dim compared to the compass is that the BMW OEM compass has a cutout, while the V1 display is behind the glass.
So did you etch it yourself or ?
      10-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
So did you etch it yourself or ?
Just did one of these mirrors this week, it was a pita but turned out great. I made my own cutout for the V1 display (same as the compass), you have to modify the components on the concealed display to get it to illuminate properly.
Appreciate 0