BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I guess the mobridge device is out.

For you guys that were waiting for the mobridge fiber optic link device to upgrade your enhanced premium sound system, I guess its out now. Check out this uber-ballar system upgrade in an M5.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-m5-build.html
      09-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
For you guys that were waiting for the mobridge fiber optic link device to upgrade your enhanced premium sound system, I guess its out now. Check out this uber-ballar system upgrade in an M5.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-m5-build.html
Most probably it is a prototype, and most probably only for the M5... and that's if it is for real, because the only thing that I see is the planning and initial construction of that system.

And, like I said before, if you are going all out in an M5 then why getting the DA1000 with the bit one? The bit one cannot be calibrated with digital inputs, it requires analog inputs and then a digital input can be used. The DA1000 only outputs digital... they need the DA2000.

That tells me that this is either a DA1000 prototype or no DA2000 is available yet. I don't think that this "high end" installer made that simple mistake of not using a DA2000...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

^^^What he said.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Most probably it is a prototype, and most probably only for the M5... and that's if it is for real, because the only thing that I see is the planning and initial construction of that system.

And, like I said before, if you are going all out in an M5 then why getting the DA1000 with the bit one? The bit one cannot be calibrated with digital inputs, it requires analog inputs and then a digital input can be used. The DA1000 only outputs digital... they need the DA2000.

That tells me that this is either a DA1000 prototype or no DA2000 is available yet. I don't think that this "high end" installer made that simple mistake of not using a DA2000...
At first I thought it might be an Audison demo car but I couldn't understand why they would use their lower line of amps in a demo car. Why not just stick with the Thesis line throughout. Either way, I guess that's a bummer that mobridge is still not out and not looking to be out anytime soon.
      09-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

For the prices that these converters are going to be sold I really don't miss them...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #6
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
At first I thought it might be an Audison demo car but I couldn't understand why they would use their lower line of amps in a demo car. Why not just stick with the Thesis line throughout. Either way, I guess that's a bummer that mobridge is still not out and not looking to be out anytime soon.
Manufacturers don't only use their high end stuff in demo cars. If they did they'd lose a ton of sales to the entry and mid-level customers that think the car sounds nice but think they can't afford it because it's all high end gear so they look somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Manufacturers don't only use their high end stuff in demo cars. If they did they'd lose a ton of sales to the entry and mid-level customers that think the car sounds nice but think they can't afford it because it's all high end gear so they look somewhere else.
Even with the LRx amps in there I still couldn't afford that system I think the speakers cost more than the amps in that system. Once you get to the point of spending $5k on speakers what's another $10k for amps.
      09-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

And that's the thinking that drives people away from high end car audio. Of everything you'll put in your car system the amps have the least impact on the sound quality. Spending $5K on speakers will make a DRASTICALLY bigger improvement than spending $10K on amps.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And that's the thinking that drives people away from high end car audio. Of everything you'll put in your car system the amps have the least impact on the sound quality. Spending $5K on speakers will make a DRASTICALLY bigger improvement than spending $10K on amps.
Not really trying to start an argument. I guess my point was neither system is "affordable" by any stretch of the imagination. If you're spending $5k on just speakers you probably got money to burn so another $10k on amps is really insignificant. Also, if you buying $5k speakers you're not dropping them into stock locations so we're not talking budget installs here either.
      09-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I see your point. I was just throwing up some info some people might not know. I wasn't trying to start an argument either. It's all good.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy

well I recently purchased a BitOne and the person recommanded also purchasing the MoBridge when it came out but my question is what improvements are made to the system by buying this product?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickNemesis View Post
well I recently purchased a BitOne and the person recommanded also purchasing the MoBridge when it came out but my question is what improvements are made to the system by buying this product?
Not applicable to your HiFi system... you are good to go with the bit one alone.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Yep. I think you CAN add the moBridge but it would be a MONSTER waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yep. I think you CAN add the moBridge but it would be a MONSTER waste of money.
No, you cannot... there's no fiber optic in the HiFi amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I thought the moBridge had an analog input too.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I thought the moBridge had an analog input too.
No, it is only a MOST>Toslink/RCA converter.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I was thinking the MOST BUS in the car, not between the HU and amp. Whoops! lol
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
nick71
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Hi Guys,
have you considered the AGWPlus from MotusLab instead of DA1000 + BitOne?

look at thi video

and this link http://www.motuslab.com/en/productsa...iogateway.html
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick71 View Post
Hi Guys,
have you considered the AGWPlus from MotusLab instead of DA1000 + BitOne?

look at thi video

and this link http://www.motuslab.com/en/productsa...iogateway.html
DA1000 + Bit one = MSRP $1300
AGWPlus = MSRP $1999

I don't think that there is $700 in "must have/better" features in the AGWplus over the DA1000/bit one combo
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #20
nick71
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

yes it's a big difference but I think there're some additional points that must be evaluated before to prejudge:

- Audio Quality, I little bit spoken with AGW representative, he told me about a very hi-end audio quality (115dB SNR) something very close to Alpine F1! ok we have to try first but looking to BitOne user manual (I've found here http://www.audison.sk/buxus/docs/dow...al_1.0_eng.pdf) they declare 102dB SNR. It's a big difference!
I'm curious to try.

- Installation, I think just one box on my car is a good thing. I'm evaluating bitone too and I found some forum threads talking about small issues like bump, noise and so on. I think two boxes it could means to double issues. I'm a little bit afraid that two different companies proposing two different products could be integrated since the beginning without issues. I hope to be wrong but this is my opinion.

-I'm not sure about DA1000+bitone solution still needs the controller for master volume (and other settings). Could you advice me on that? AGW doesn't, i'm sure about that. I would like to keep my dashboard clean.

Anyway I'm going to listen a car with AGW on next weeks, I will keep the forum update about my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Dude, the Bit One is still over 100dB SNR, you're not going ot hear that difference.

With the B1 you CAN use the controller but you don't HAVE to, I'm not using mine. In fact, I've never even had the controller out of the box.

Any of the issues you've read about were the earliest uints. The newest revision (the Bit One.1) works flawlessly in every car I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick71 View Post
yes it's a big difference but I think there're some additional points that must be evaluated before to prejudge:

- Audio Quality, I little bit spoken with AGW representative, he told me about a very hi-end audio quality (115dB SNR) something very close to Alpine F1! ok we have to try first but looking to BitOne user manual (I've found here http://www.audison.sk/buxus/docs/dow...al_1.0_eng.pdf) they declare 102dB SNR. It's a big difference!
I'm curious to try.
Once you pass 90dB of SNR the differences are inaudible to a average person. A dog could notice the difference, perhaps...

Quote:
- Installation, I think just one box on my car is a good thing. I'm evaluating bitone too and I found some forum threads talking about small issues like bump, noise and so on. I think two boxes it could means to double issues. I'm a little bit afraid that two different companies proposing two different products could be integrated since the beginning without issues. I hope to be wrong but this is my opinion.
Yes, one box is great. That's the reason I called the AGW distributor in the USA for info on this piece. But the $2000 price is not that great as one box. Now, I could see possible noise issues with a DA2000 and a bit one and only if the RCA/analog outputs of the DA2000 are used and only if there is alternator noise somehow getting into the RCA. But then the DA2000 has also digital outputs so this possibility is null.

So far the bit one issues have been solved, at least I don't have any issues with mine for the last 4-5 months.

Quote:
-I'm not sure about DA1000+bitone solution still needs the controller for master volume (and other settings). Could you advice me on that? AGW doesn't, i'm sure about that. I would like to keep my dashboard clean.

Anyway I'm going to listen a car with AGW on next weeks, I will keep the forum update about my impressions.
No, it does not need the controller. Actually, I'm not using that controller right now and I don't have any MOST converter. No noises, either.

The main difference that I see between the AGW and a DA1000/bit one -other than one single box vs. two boxes, and the price- is their approach to DSP adjustments: the AGW uses mostly a parametric EQ per channel and only one graphic EQ for the whole system and the bit one uses a graphic EQ per channel and no parametric. Everything else is basically the same (delays, filters, graphs).

One thing that was mentioned to me by the Audison people -working with mObridge- was that the DA1000/bit one combo was supposed to completely mimic the adjustments of the OEM 7-band EQ in the iDrive, so if you move any slider in the iDrive EQ screen it will be replicated by the bit one graphic EQ, like you are actually moving that slider in the bit one for all channels. I did not see an example of something like that in the AGW video, although I saw the iDrive bass and treble adjustments with the AGW.

The definite thing here is that, either MOST converter will make you system sound better once the OEM amp is removed from the system. That's what I want for the least amount of money...
Appreciate 0