BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
johnsondg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4 MG/SO and '11 RRS

New E92 M3 owner...your thoughts on bedding-in new brakes...

Going to pick up my new E92 M3 from the port tomorrow morning (finally)...I was wondering if I need to bed-in my brakes since it's a new vehicle. I did some research and found a few tech sites that recommend doing eight near-stops from 60 mph to 10 mph to achieve optimum braking results. Thoughts...?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

If it makes you feel better... go ahead.

These are street pads and street rotors, and there is no such instruction in the manual to do so. I have experience bedding in race pads on the track, but for street cars no one ever really advises this process and most everyone makes it just fine without these bedding procedures.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Malarky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Hmm..

It's a car, just have fun with it. No need to worry about bedding in the brakes.

-Carl
      05-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just like the rest of the car, go really easy for a few days on acceleration/rpms as well as brakes. After that just follow the factory break in instructions which as stated contain nothing on brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsondg View Post
Going to pick up my new E92 M3 from the port tomorrow morning (finally)...I was wondering if I need to bed-in my brakes since it's a new vehicle. I did some research and found a few tech sites that recommend doing eight near-stops from 60 mph to 10 mph to achieve optimum braking results. Thoughts...?
The factory brakes are normally pre-bedded (somewhat). No need to do it again. However, if you don't drive very hard, it would be good to repeat the bed-in process every couple of months to refresh the pad transfer layer. Pads don't like to run on just iron, they work better against their own material.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Although I dont think it will hurt (if done properly), I wouldn't bed pads for the street. There is little point because they will stop you just fine for most street stoppages until they wear themselves in (500 miles or so I'd guess). Remember that when you bed in pads, you are taking off material and accelerating wear. So I'd say, unless you are going to the track with them soon, dont bother.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
M3point1
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 M DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
The factory brakes are normally pre-bedded (somewhat). No need to do it again. However, if you don't drive very hard, it would be good to repeat the bed-in process every couple of months to refresh the pad transfer layer. Pads don't like to run on just iron, they work better against their own material.
Did you change your brakes to AP Racing?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3point1 View Post
Did you change your brakes to AP Racing?
I am considering an E90 M3 and will definitely do the upgrade if I pick one up. In the meantime, I work with AP Racing and the forum-supporting vendors to help customers improve their braking performance as I deal with these systems daily. For almost 20 years, I have been working with friction systems (clutches and brakes) in professional motorsports and street performance vehicles. While I definitely don't know everything there is to know, I have a decent amount of good (and bad!) experiences to fall back on.

If you wish to talk to people who have made that upgrade, the systems were released in the UK first, so there are plenty of people running them on the east side of the Atlantic. Like this bloke: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199802.

Appreciate 0