BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
clw
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question about ED Ordering

Hi I am new here so I am a little lost, I dug up a few threads and I think this is how the process goes, please correct me if I am wrong and put me in the right direction.

You find a dealer that does ED ordering
You tell them the options you want
They order it, you wait
Go to a docking station pick up car, do paper work

and you save a few hundred dollars?

Is this the best way to save money, or is there a better way? Please point me in the right direction=]

And also, does this price beat haggling with a dealership and getting a good deal there also? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
ryebred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 aw coupe zmp

if by docking station you mean Munich, then yes

Pick up is at BMW Welt in Munich. They ship it back to your US dealer. I saved about 4k off MSRP (ED + dealer discount). Search on the site for the '09 invoice price sheet, it will help you in pricing things out. It helps if you have airmiles to burn. I'm staying with my sister in Berlin, so the total trip is only costing me about $600 (except for gas).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...opean_Delivery
      05-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebred View Post
Pick up is at BMW Welt in Munich. They ship it back to your US dealer. I saved about 4k off MSRP (ED + dealer discount). Search on the site for the '09 invoice price sheet, it will help you in pricing things out. It helps if you have airmiles to burn. I'm staying with my sister in Berlin, so the total trip is only costing me about $600 (except for gas).

They can also have it delivered to the Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC free of charge.

Agree - the Bimmerfest European Delivery subforum is an excellent resource.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
smithtravel
Private
Rep
Drives:

"Agree - the Bimmerfest European Delivery subforum is an excellent resource."

+1 I did two EDs in 2008. The Bimmerfest ED wiki and ongoing posts provided all the information I needed to do it through my local dealer.
      05-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
1bonna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

+1 The wiki provides all the answers! Goodluck
      05-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

The Wiki is great, so is the ED forum on Bimmerfest. Was pretty much my sole information source for the trip.

Basically summed up it works like this (I probably missed some stuff, but this is very basic)

Doing ED through a local dealer:
1.) Go to the dealership
2.) Configure your car with your CA (salesperson)
3.) Put down your deposit (should be $1,000, and is completely refundable if you back out)
4.) Choose 3 possible pick-up dates to be sent to BMW. Your CA will also need a copy of some documents like your passport (you will need your passport in Munich to pick up the car).
5.) In a few weeks you'll hear back as to which date was chosen by BMW for your delivery date.
===Fly to Munich===

1.) Pick up your car, drive around for as long as you want (up to 14 days) then drop the car off at one of the shipping places BMW uses.

2.) Wait 2-3 months to get the car back.

3.) Car will either be at your dealership or the Performance Center if you opted for the free Performance Center Delivery.

In the end you don't really "save" money because you have to make all your travel accommodations to go to Europe. However, it's a GREAT way to go to Europe for cheap, and get to drive your car on the epic Autobahns

Last edited by InsaneSkippy; 05-04-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
thorsley12
Rep
Drives: Looking into 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Doing ED through a local dealer:
1.) Go to the dealership
2.) Configure your car with your CA (salesperson)
3.) Put down your deposit (should be $1,000, and is completely refundable if you back out)
4.) Choose 3 possible pick-up dates to be sent to BMW. Your CA will also need a copy of some documents like your passport (you will need your passport in Munich to pick up the car).
5.) In a few weeks you'll hear back as to which date was chosen by BMW for your delivery date.
===Fly to Munich===
After #5 and before flying to Munich for the pickup, at what point do you actually pay for the car (financing, etc.)? I've read in some places that the only rule is that the car must be paid for or successfully financed before you leave for the trip. Does this mean you could walk into the dealership the day before (or even the day of) you leave and do this, if you desire?

Also, does anyone know when I will need to order the car if I do a pickup in late September, early October? I've heard July is the cut-off date, is this true?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #9
smithtravel
Private
Rep
Drives:

Paid for before you go is probably the basic requirement. My dealer always asked me to pay about one to two weeks before that. The dealer was great (still is) and I was OK with paying then, so did it without asking.
      05-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
hbdunn2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsley12 View Post
After #5 and before flying to Munich for the pickup, at what point do you actually pay for the car (financing, etc.)? I've read in some places that the only rule is that the car must be paid for or successfully financed before you leave for the trip. Does this mean you could walk into the dealership the day before (or even the day of) you leave and do this, if you desire?

Also, does anyone know when I will need to order the car if I do a pickup in late September, early October? I've heard July is the cut-off date, is this true?

Thanks.

Generally it is a week before. You wouldn't want to try and do it the day before and run into a problem.

Also if you lease that is the day your lease starts.

Late Sept. is still going to be a 2009.

For 2009 models they were not available for delivery until October 13 2008.

I would find a dealer that is a sponsor on bimmerfest and talk with them as they are the most knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsley12 View Post

Thanks.
Ordering: I ordered three months in advance. Two months is cutting it close. I think 6 weeks might be doable, but it's risky.

Paying: I think 1 week is more or less the minimum. I did mine at 3 weeks out, just to get it out of the way, because we're leaving a week prior to our pickup date.

Regarding the Bimmerfest dealer sponsors, they are definitely knowledgeable, but having gone back and forth with a couple of them, you will not get the best price from them. (And the ones I talked to didn't seem to like haggling at all.) Some people think the price is worth their knowledge/experience. I was happier with the deal I got from the local dealership, so went with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Payment is "required" (unless you've done a lot of business with the dealership) no less than a week before the delivery. They usually ask to have it 14 days before, though.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
thorsley12
Rep
Drives: Looking into 135i

Ahh, I see. Thanks all!

So it seems that my desired pick-up time of late September to early October falls right into that gray area where the 2009's are on the way out and the 2010's are coming. Maybe it's worth waiting a few more weeks until mid-October to pick up the 2010 model?

Any idea on start dates for ED on 2010 models? Do the dealers have this information yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
I would assume an october time frame for ED with a 2010. Also, the general rule of thumb is to order atleast 9 weeks out to assure yourself of the desired dates.

For doing payment, the cars basically are not built until the last couple of weeks. Essentially, whenever the car actually begins production & recieves a VIN, that's when you should be prepared to pay.
Appreciate 0