BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
VOLTman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego Blue

Bah. I even RTFM...

Just took delivery on a non-nav 135i today. Awesome.

Trying to pair up my 3G iPhone, and I cannot get the "phone" category to show up on my radio's "menu", so obviously the car won't go into pairing mode.

I have the upgraded stereo, if that matters.

I had no problems pairing up this same phone with my e46 M3.

How dumb am I?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Maybe stupid question...did you get the premium package or the BMW assist option? If so, and your radio is not showing the phone as an option, then I would visit the dealer.
      04-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i space grey/black

Yeah, I would call/visit the dealer as well. Mine paired very quickly (at delivery), but I remember as he walked me through the instructions they were slightly different from what I had read in the manual. Same for the voice commands for voice dialing. Fortunately for the latter, simply saying help lists all the commands. Good luck man, but I bet you'll get it resolved pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
VOLTman
United_States
Rep

Aha.

I got neither the Premium nor the Assist. I assumed that all new BMWs could bluetooth. I did decline the dealer's offer to show me how to pair my phone, so that told me that my car did indeed have bluetooth, but perhaps they were making assumptions about my car having premium or assist...

Why, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLTman View Post
Aha.

I got neither the Premium nor the Assist. I assumed that all new BMWs could bluetooth. I did decline the dealer's offer to show me how to pair my phone, so that told me that my car did indeed have bluetooth, but perhaps they were making assumptions about my car having premium or assist...

Why, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Cool.
Now you know that two assumptions are as good as one... there's no Bluetooth in your 135i.

Unless you signed any document stating that Bluetooth was part of the factory options of your deal, something tells me that the dealer will tell you that in fact you car did not come with Bluetooth (Assist) and if you want it it will have to be retrofitted at around twice the factory price.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
SlapSmak
Private
Rep
Drives:

hit phone on the menu button, you will see pair phone, hit that, I think it is button 3 or 4 under the radio screen. now here is where you are most likely having the issue, the car at this point is already in "Pair" mode. on your phones bluetooth menu, go to the "discover devices" menu, enable that. the car should now show up in a couple of seconds. once it asks you for a pass key simply enter the number 1, the car radio screen will now ask the same, enter 1 there also. it should now say phone paired.

i just did this on my loaner 325 since I am stuck with it for the weekend during the software update to my premium hifi in the 1.
      04-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
VOLTman
United_States
Rep

This is the problem. There is no "phone" when you hit the menu button...

I will post the dealer's response to my problem, as in how much they'll want to charge me to get bluetoothy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
SlapSmak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLTman View Post
This is the problem. There is no "phone" when you hit the menu button...

I will post the dealer's response to my problem, as in how much they'll want to charge me to get bluetoothy.
ya, that would be the issue... good luck. I missed that in the first post.