BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Exclamation Yet another JB3 review (1.3 beta)!

So I got my JB3 PNP today, awesome deal btw... And just could not wait until the weekend to install. So grabbed the minimal tools needed and began the process, and remove negative battery terminal. Removal of the plastic cowls and gaining access to the ECU is fairly straightforward and simple, only basic hand tools needed.

Then we get to the ecu, no real trouble here, just followed the DIY on Terry's website for detailed info on how to go about the wiring. Only trouble I had was once I had the JB3 wiring harness all ready, I went to put the slide-locks back on the plastic holder and was having a hard time, so i kinda jammed it in there, and looked at it...then looked at it some more...and let out an oh f***, I put the slide-lock in the wrong side of the connector. Didn't panic, just pulled it out and put it in the right way, no breakage of anything...whew.

So before I button everything back up, I re-connect the negative terminal and start her up. Everything looks good, I get the error as expected "reset clock". So I turned it off and put all the plastic crap back together...

Test Drive:
So being that this is a beta, I am expecting a little rough spots here and there, and not knowing what the 1.23 was like, I figured this was not a big deal. But what had me worried was the car was kinda un-responsive and lumpy and my fan was going crazy. So I keep driving and getting some more weird issues, like I floor the gas and nothing... So I take it to the highway to do some WOT pulls, and the car falls on its face...then comes the engine power reduced error code and me saying "oh sh*t"! I was pretty worried at this point, so I pulled over and turned it off, upset.

Awakening:
Then after waiting a minute or two, I turned it back on and start puttering down the street.

At the next stoplight I decide to punch it and OH MY GOD!!!

I laid a long patch of rubber and flew past all lesser vehicles like I was riding Lucifer's chariot after emerging out of hell's gates.

I was on an on ramp in 3rd gear, going roughly 40, I floor it and scream past the cars going 80 like nothing, I look down and see myself closing in on 140 fast!

Power comes on as very linear and abrupt with no lag and extreme amounts of torque.

Needless to say I am amazed and this isn't even the full version!

Hope this review helps, anyone who is interested in this product should just buy it! The install took roughly 1.5 hours and was not bad at all and I am only an intermediate mechanic. This tune has transformed my car into a beast and I am never going back!

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Why did your car not function right after initial install? I would be pretty upset that it ran like shit initially and thew a code. Strange it worked though on the 2nd try, overall I would not be too happy.
      03-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had something similar with the JB+ when I first turned her on, well it didn't had a long crank and nothing.. So waited a minute and tried again and boom she was on. Did a scan with the BT and found a fuel pump code, cleared it and hasnt come back. I'm guessing it has something to do with the sensors and the ECU being a sleep for so long and disconnecting things, and putting stuff that's not supposed to be there at first. Electrical signals getting used to the ignition at first I guess.

Thanks and enjoy and be safe
      03-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Why did your car not function right after initial install? I would be pretty upset that it ran like shit initially and thew a code. Strange it worked though on the 2nd try, overall I would not be too happy.
No idea why the car did that, again it happened only after driving roughly 5 miles then went away immediately. And also remember this is the 1.3 beta, not for public release. I will scan with the BT tool and see if any stored codes came up and keep you guys updated if any thing else pops up. Overall this thing is amazing once its adapted, so after the initial "crap in pants" moment, its been great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
So I got my JB3 PNP today, awesome deal btw... And just could not wait until the weekend to install. So grabbed the minimal tools needed and began the process, and remove negative battery terminal. Removal of the plastic cowls and gaining access to the ECU is fairly straightforward and simple, only basic hand tools needed.

Then we get to the ecu, no real trouble here, just followed the DIY on Terry's website for detailed info on how to go about the wiring. Only trouble I had was once I had the JB3 wiring harness all ready, I went to put the slide-locks back on the plastic holder and was having a hard time, so i kinda jammed it in there, and looked at it...then looked at it some more...and let out an oh f***, I put the slide-lock in the wrong side of the connector. Didn't panic, just pulled it out and put it in the right way, no breakage of anything...whew.

So before I button everything back up, I re-connect the negative terminal and start her up. Everything looks good, I get the error as expected "reset clock". So I turned it off and put all the plastic crap back together...

Test Drive:
So being that this is a beta, I am expecting a little rough spots here and there, and not knowing what the 1.23 was like, I figured this was not a big deal. But what had me worried was the car was kinda un-responsive and lumpy and my fan was going crazy. So I keep driving and getting some more weird issues, like I floor the gas and nothing... So I take it to the highway to do some WOT pulls, and the car falls on its face...then comes the engine power reduced error code and me saying "oh sh*t"! I was pretty worried at this point, so I pulled over and turned it off, upset.

Awakening:
Then after waiting a minute or two, I turned it back on and start puttering down the street.

At the next stoplight I decide to punch it and OH MY GOD!!!

I laid a long patch of rubber and flew past all lesser vehicles like I was riding Lucifer's chariot after emerging out of hell's gates.

I was on an on ramp in 3rd gear, going roughly 40, I floor it and scream past the cars going 80 like nothing, I look down and see myself closing in on 140 fast!

Power comes on as very linear and abrupt with no lag and extreme amounts of torque.

Needless to say I am amazed and this isn't even the full version!

Hope this review helps, anyone who is interested in this product should just buy it! The install took roughly 1.5 hours and was not bad at all and I am only an intermediate mechanic. This tune has transformed my car into a beast and I am never going back!

-Chris
Glad you got it working but your initial CEL/issue doesn't make sense. It almost sounds like you removed the ECU connectors with the battery still connected? Either way glad its working now! Drop me a note if you need any help!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Mike, that would make sense, but I disconnected the battery before anything was done to the car. Oh well, I'll keep you updated if I have any more issues... Trying map 6 now!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
what's been updated from 1.22 to 1.3? new maps? new functionality?

btw i effing love my 1.22 and really can't imagine how it could get better. well done BMS!

Appreciate 0