BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
berb_uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Something bizarre happened to me last week - was driving as normal when a stone hit m

Something bizarre happened to me last week - was driving as normal when a stone hit my windscreen causing a chip the size of a 5p coin.

So today someone from National Windscreen (NW) came out through my insurance to repair it. The repair was adequate and will probably prevent any cracking but not perfect and defintely not as it was before.

So I'm thinking of getting the windscreen replaced. NW can do this through my insurance but I would have to pay an excess despite it not affecting my no claims bonus or claims history on my policy. I have two choices: go for the NW standard windscreen or ask for a BMW windscreen to be installed. Apparently both are made of the same material but if I don't go for BMW, I'll lose the small markings on the bottom right hand size when seen from outside and I'm also curious as to whether I'd lose the ability to see the VIN number from that area too.

What do you think I should do? Standard windscreen or BMW?
      03-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

How do you know they are of the same material? Did NW tell you that? I would get confirmation that they are identical. What is the difference in price between the NW product and BMWs?
If indeed both are identical products and the price difference is significant, I would go with the less expensive item.
      03-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I was in your same situation not too long ago and was told the same exact thing. That the quality is exactly the same, just you lose the markings. My friend had non factory glass put in and it was a piece of shit. You could tell it wasn't as good. Maybe he had really cheap glass put in and maybe the one we could of gotten is same as factory, but I didn't want to risk it. I went with the bmw factory glass. My deductible was $250. Non factory was like $230 installed, BMW glass was like a lot more, but to me it was just $20 dollars more to hit my deductible.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Don't put anything in it other than the factory BMW piece, and hope you get a top notch installation. Actually I would probably live with it for as long as you can and then if another chip appears then replace it.
      03-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

BMW of course!!
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

the BMW windscreen sucksss!!!! it gets chipped so easily, i would get one made from a better and different material.
      03-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

I dont understand the question?
IF your insurance is paying for it, why would you even consider getting a non BMW (aftermarket) windshield?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

I would wait till you get a few more chips before considering windshield replacement. Given the lousy road maintenance we have these days we all know it's just a matter of time before a big pebble cracks the glass beyond repair.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
SF-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Hey,

Go with the original BMW.

I had a similar experience with insurance companies with my other vehicle (03 Land Rover Disco) I said I wanted the real deal because it it had a heated screen and special solar glass.

The glass guy showed up at work to do the swap. I was in a meeting so I had one of my engineers go out and unlock my LR asked him to check to see that it had the wires in the screen for heating. It did but it was still after market glass. Decided to live with it. Until I get in a few months later and need to clear ice to find that the wires in the glass do not cover the entire windscreen as the original LR part did.

I guess I should call and cause a stink with the insurance company. We will see, maybe once it has another chip in it.

Go original.
Appreciate 0