BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Jerktown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3-DCT

Saving drivelogic mode?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I did try searching. Is there a way to have the car automatically start in S4 when I turn it on? It seems to always start out in S3, and I have to change it to S4 manually every trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

I don't know what I'm doing, but mine stays in the one I left it in (on D anyway-not sure of S). The only thing I can think that I did was program my memory seat with the key in the ignition. I'm sure you'll have the correct answer soon enough from someone here. The car is sweet huh!? Later JT.
      03-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerktown View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question - I did try searching. Is there a way to have the car automatically start in S4 when I turn it on? It seems to always start out in S3, and I have to change it to S4 manually every trip.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I don't know what I'm doing, but mine stays in the one I left it in (on D anyway-not sure of S). The only thing I can think that I did was program my memory seat with the key in the ignition. I'm sure you'll have the correct answer soon enough from someone here. The car is sweet huh!? Later JT.
It saves the Drivelogic mode only for the shift method (D or S) that is not active at startup. For the US, this means it will only save the Drivelogic mode for D. The car always starts in S3. For Europe, this means it will only save the Drivelogic mode for S. The car always starts in D2. Neither is ideal, but I sure wish ours was like it is in Europe because it would mean two swift right clicks on the stick and I'm good. Instead its a right click on the stick and two clicks on the Drivelogic switch (to get to S5). As far as I am concerned this is just poor design. It should allow you to have a startup mode for both shift methods, and additionally allow you specify which shift method defaults at startup.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I aksed the dealer if the default mode (ie: first click of the stick to the right) could be D mode. He said NO. In Europe, it defaults to D, not S. You would think it is a simple software change....it prolly is, but nobody seems to know how to do it in my neck of the woods.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I aksed the dealer if the default mode (ie: first click of the stick to the right) could be D mode. He said NO. In Europe, it defaults to D, not S. You would think it is a simple software change....it prolly is, but nobody seems to know how to do it in my neck of the woods.
Yeah, it seems BMW simply doesn't provide the dealerships the ability to change these things. Liability issues are no doubt at play. Plus, its possible these thiings are hardcoded into the into the firmware by region with no easy way for them to be changed once it is compiled. I'm sure BMW engineers have development tools that let them do it, but for us end users that is not a feasible solution. Someone with an intimate understanding of the car's computer systems could probably find a way to do it. Maybe the aftermarket will eventually come up with a solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

While they're figuring that out, come out with a hack to watch DVD's while driving. Passenger(kid) wants this.
      03-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Gelsenpower
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 DCT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
While they're figuring that out, come out with a hack to watch DVD's while driving. Passenger(kid) wants this.
already available in germany

http://cgi.ebay.de/TV-FREE-FREISCHAL...1%7C240%3A1318
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yeah, it seems BMW simply doesn't provide the dealerships the ability to change these things. Liability issues are no doubt at play. Plus, its possible these thiings are hardcoded into the into the firmware by region with no easy way for them to be changed once it is compiled. I'm sure BMW engineers have development tools that let them do it, but for us end users that is not a feasible solution. Someone with an intimate understanding of the car's computer systems could probably find a way to do it. Maybe the aftermarket will eventually come up with a solution.
I know somebody who could do it, but I doubt he would waste his time with it. lol

I would like it programed that way, but it isn't like I would pay for it.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelsenpower View Post
wow this sounds cool! cant understand German - will it work on my 08 iDrive which is not "TV enabled" (i.e. didnt select the TV option)? I guess that is for TV only (no DVD playback).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Gelsenpower
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
wow this sounds cool! cant understand German - will it work on my 08 iDrive which is not "TV enabled" (i.e. didnt select the TV option)? I guess that is for TV only (no DVD playback).
it will not work with 08 idrive without tv option because 08 idrive cannot
play movie dvd's and does not have internet.
With 09 iDrive it enables internal dvd, internet and - if exist - rear view camera and tv while driving
(really simple installation, not visible for BMW diagnostic)

p.s. sorry for OT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Jerktown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3-DCT

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm waiting for the hack to enable playing video off an iPod or USB, personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelsenpower View Post
it will not work with 08 idrive without tv option because 08 idrive cannot
play movie dvd's and does not have internet.
With 09 iDrive it enables internal dvd, internet and - if exist - rear view camera and tv while driving
(really simple installation, not visible for BMW diagnostic)

p.s. sorry for OT
Thanks. Sorry to continue to be off topic, but do you know if I can add the TV option retrospectively now? Actually the reason I did not oredr it in the first place was this silly restriction whereby the TV does not work whilst the car is in motion! But now it can be "overwriten" then I might install the TV option (if possible now).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Gelsenpower
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Sorry to continue to be off topic, but do you know if I can add the TV option retrospectively now? Actually the reason I did not oredr it in the first place was this silly restriction whereby the TV does not work whilst the car is in motion! But now it can be "overwriten" then I might install the TV option (if possible now).
yes it's possible to retrofit but will much more expensive than ordering from factory (don't know exact prices).
In germany there are a lot of aftermarkt vendors offering tv and/or dvd retrofit incl. tv/dvd free and they're much cheaper than bmw...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

yea this problem ticks me off too. i always have to click around to get to S4 and S5. not a big deal, but a little deal
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
ainal
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: --

Quote:
Try this. Ceaper than BMW retrofitting. Installation is very easy but you'll have to find a way for programming.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120431329658
Appreciate 0