BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
joseph831
New to the world of BMW and M3!!!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

Question M-DCT Issue? Does any1 else have this problem?

Hello all,

I have been having problems with my iDrive telling me there is a "Malfunction: Trans position P" with the following message.

There is a transmission malfunction, the trans may not be able to go into the "P" position. Please ensure you use the emergency brake when stopping the car for long periods ( ie parking the car).

That message above is not word for word, but that is basicly what it says. But my car will still go into park (P). The Malfunction usually appears after I go in reverse. It goes away sometimes, with just stopping the car, and putting it in park....then sometime it stays on...Im lost..

Is anyone else having this problem. If so what was the issue.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
M3after330i
Rep
Drives: M3 2008, JB, Silver, DCT E90

Upgrade DCT software

Did you get the DCT software updated. Once done this should go away. I used to get this frequently before the update and have not seen it since.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
jaihind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 and 2008 BMW M5

I had the same problem....as stupid as it sounds...the shifter needs to be replaced, it has nothing to do with the recent updates they were doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
emkmd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 SS M5

Garage List
2008 E92 M3 (gone)  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaihind View Post
I had the same problem....as stupid as it sounds...the shifter needs to be replaced, it has nothing to do with the recent updates they were doing.
Have you actually had this done. I took delivery of my car last summer, then began to occasionally have this problem. I had the software update done a few months ago (cannot remember exactly when), and then no more problem. Now I am having the problem again, except that it is constant. Meaning every time I come to a stop I get the warning. I have to make an appointment to bring it in. I think I recall something with either this model or my E46 SMG with a sensor in the shifter causing a problem. However, I am not sure why the shifter would cause this error.
-E
2003 M3 Titanium Silver (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
TommyBwell
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92

I got a free 100k warranty for that one. My car did it the day i bought it. They kept it overnight and did the software update and said it was fixed. About 40 miles after I picked it up the next day it did it again. It turned out to be a bad solenoid. They replaced it and 8k miles later no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
miltiadesone
miltiadesone
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

I have this problem also. I took a picture of the error message to show everyone. After taking the car to the dealer, they told me that they reset the error pompt, and to come back in may 2009 to have the software updated. Is this on par with what everyone else is experiencing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
M-Maika
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 AW

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph831 View Post
Hello all,

I have been having problems with my iDrive telling me there is a "Malfunction: Trans position P" with the following message.

There is a transmission malfunction, the trans may not be able to go into the "P" position. Please ensure you use the emergency brake when stopping the car for long periods ( ie parking the car).

That message above is not word for word, but that is basicly what it says. But my car will still go into park (P). The Malfunction usually appears after I go in reverse. It goes away sometimes, with just stopping the car, and putting it in park....then sometime it stays on...Im lost..

Is anyone else having this problem. If so what was the issue.

Thanks for any help!
I have that same issue sometimes when i stop my car.
No big deal. I have this problem since i bought the car and still rolling.
In the meantime i have upgraded my gearbox software and the problem still happens from time to time.

When i start the car my i-drive shows no errors.

Best Regards,

Maika
      06-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
2008911tt
Rep
Drives: 2K10 M3; 2K8 997 Turbo

Garage List
2008 997 Turbo  [0.00]
2K10 M3  [0.00]
I notice these posts are older but I experienced this problem today on my 2010 M3 coupe. While the messages said it could be driven and to take it to the dealer, the car would not start. To make a long story short BMW assist finally got me a correct tow and the car is in the shop. So, 5 hours later I was home with a loaner. I love this car and basically use it for a daily driver but am now concerned with reliability as the car only has 2800 miles. Is the fix software related or is there something bigger going on with the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The DCT appears to be virtually bulletproof in terms of its construction while software problems are largely resolved by a software update. Peripheral parts such as sensors and solenoids also seem to be pretty reliable. I suspect long term you are far more likely to have to replace clutches/flywheels and syncro rings in the manual transmission than have to have the DCT worked on.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
raiste
Time is the fire in which we burn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M3

Not the same problem, but mine got stuck in Park the other day. Got the Transmission Failure warning as soon as I started the car. It would not shift into gear at all. Re-started several times to see if it was intermittent or not, but no dice.

Called BMW assist and they had a tow truck on the way. I thought about it for a few more minutes and figured out that the parking pawl was not automatically disengaging. So I broke out the Official BMW Screw Driver and manually disengaged the pawl. Cancelled the tow truck and drove home. Haven't had the problem since.

Appreciate 0