BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

03-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Carrera 4S PDK vs X6 50i vs Cayenne GTS

Strange comparison I know but like the title says BMW reckons the X6 handles like a Porsche...

No M3 in this comparison, but given the 911 Carrera is seen as somewhat of a competitor for the M3 I thought I'd post it...

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
tim3less
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

that X6 looks pretty cool when it's with those black BMW 21s
      03-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Those comments of the X6 mirror my own about the brother's X6 in comparison to the Cayenne I owned. The only thing I can say that complimentary is that they are surprising lively but as for the rest, it's stability under braking, it's steering feel and the feel it gives through a corner doesn't compete with the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm really impressed by the performance of the Carrera in the hot conditions although that area of Australia is generally pretty dry (i.e. low humidity). I know the M3 definitely feels hampered when the temperature gets into the high 20Cs (I do live in a high humidity area, this also will impact).

I wonder if direct injection helps with higher intake air temperatures?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
A big concern with the X6 5.0i was the comments that after a lap and a half the engine went into 'limp' mode due to overheat!!!

Is this a problem just because of the excessive heat which is extreme to most of Europe but not so in the USA or is it a underlining design fault with the new 4.4v8 Bi-turbo, maybe positioning the turbos in between the vee was good from a packaging and lap perspective but bad for excessive hard driving. More tests may be needed to determine this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
A big concern with the X6 5.0i was the comments that after a lap and a half the engine went into 'limp' mode due to overheat!!!

Is this a problem just because of the excessive heat which is extreme to most of Europe but not so in the USA or is it a underlining design fault with the new 4.4v8 Bi-turbo, maybe positioning the turbos in between the vee was good from a packaging and lap perspective but bad for excessive hard driving. More tests may be needed to determine this one.
Isn't this supposed to be the same engine that will be used in the next M5? If so, they've got some problems
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:

I think its just a bit of BMW not fully getting back into the FI groove.
This of course was the problem with the early 335i's too and the N54 engine.
They came out with it and had no second oil cooler for a twin turbo engine.

Too this day hot weather and hot lapping gets the N54 engine hot and can make it go into a limp mode.

BMW simply needs to install larger oil and FMIC's on their TT engines.
Further, they need to increase the size of the air intakes to make sure it gets plenty of fresh air in there.

Lastly small heat release vents on the top of the hood above the turbos would be a good thing too. Of course they'd need to be design so water does not run down them, but rather out into the wheel wells or something.

I haven't read that the next M5 will have the TT 4.4
My guess, in order for it to be an M engine, they'll either design a different engine with the TT on it or it will be a heavily modified version.
The 4.4 TT as it stands is top heavy, not sure BMW would want that in the M5, but again, who knows, with modifications, they could lower the center of gravity of that engine.

I like different comparos like this magazine did. It gets old always seeing the same cars tested against each other.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Those comments of the X6 mirror my own about the brother's X6 in comparison to the Cayenne I owned. The only thing I can say that complimentary is that they are surprising lively but as for the rest, it's stability under braking, it's steering feel and the feel it gives through a corner doesn't compete with the Cayenne.
Yup, tired of people saying the X6 handles like a sedan or even a sports car. It handles good for a 5,000 lbs vehicle, thats it. You still feel the weight, through cornering and braking.

Quote:
It is apparent that BMW didn't learn their lesson with the 335i or N54. They need to invest in better oil coolers. The temps get too high after a little hard driving and they go into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Yup, tired of people saying the X6 handles like a sedan or even a sports car. It handles good for a 5,000 lbs vehicle, thats it. You still feel the weight, through cornering and braking.
I know I haven't had the luxury that these roadtesters did on comparing both the Cayenne and X6 back to back but based on my memory of my Cayenne compared to the brother's X6 I can honestly say that the Porsche copes better with difficult road surfaces and mid-corner bumpers than what the X6 does. I hate it's steering feel which feels totally disconnected to the front wheels and find it can be knocked off course by bumps that don't affect the Porsche or most other sports SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
It is apparent that BMW didn't learn their lesson with the 335i or N54. They need to invest in better oil coolers. The temps get too high after a little hard driving and they go into limp mode.
I don't want to comment on this because some people read too much into things but I will say that certain other companies DO have much more experience of FI, though BMW are gaining ground fast.
Appreciate 0