BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Where's the stop "square" button for CD playback?

Just took delivery of my 135i. Aside from the social problems of having a stupid grin on my face all the time and soreness from patting myself on the back for the great decision I made, I'm baffled by the non-standard audio controls.

How do you stop the CD from playing? Is there a BMW equivalent to the "square" button that the entire rest of the world uses to indicate stop playback?

My CA suggested that I press the "Start/Stop Engine" button twice. This works for when I'm parked and want to also turn the engine off. I can also switch to iPod or radio. There's probably a several clicks and spins of the Nav that will help me turn it off. But I can't seem to find a single button-press solution to get silence.

This must have been discussed before, but my searches didn't yield what I was looking for.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Cant you just press the volume button? Works on the buisiness and professional radios atleast..
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre View Post
Cant you just press the volume button? Works on the buisiness and professional radios atleast..
I tried that but got the impression that it just mutes the speaker but keeps playing through the CD with no sound. Does it pause or stop (with reset to track 1) too?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
if you push the volume button it will turn off the radio and show the clock. the cd will be paused and resume on the track it was turned off on...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco35Dream View Post
if you push the volume button it will turn off the radio and show the clock. the cd will be paused and resume on the track it was turned off on...
OK - I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
Just took delivery of my 135i. Aside from the social problems of having a stupid grin on my face all the time and soreness from patting myself on the back for the great decision I made, I'm baffled by the non-standard audio controls.

How do you stop the CD from playing? Is there a BMW equivalent to the "square" button that the entire rest of the world uses to indicate stop playback?

My CA suggested that I press the "Start/Stop Engine" button twice. This works for when I'm parked and want to also turn the engine off. I can also switch to iPod or radio. There's probably a several clicks and spins of the Nav that will help me turn it off. But I can't seem to find a single button-press solution to get silence.

This must have been discussed before, but my searches didn't yield what I was looking for.

Thanks.
I'm trying to understand what you want to do.....it will stop if you select another audio source, no? Are you just trying to shut the system off entirely while driving?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I'm trying to understand what you want to do.....it will stop if you select another audio source, no? Are you just trying to shut the system off entirely while driving?
I want to press either the missing "square" button (stop play & reset to track one when play is pressed again) or the missing pause button (stop play at current position and restart at this position when play is pressed again)!

Both of these buttons are standard on virtually every audio component I've used for the last 20 years or so. Neither switch to another audio source.

Sounds like pressing the volume button is the missing pause button.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I want to press either the missing "square" button (stop play & reset to track one when play is pressed again) or the missing pause button (stop play at current position and restart at this position when play is pressed again)!

Both of these buttons are standard on virtually every audio component I've used for the last 20 years or so. Neither switch to another audio source.

I've had cars with Pause but I don't think I've ever had a car with a "stop" button. Like I said, it stops when you switch to another audio source or turn the radio off. Why would you want to stop the CD and listen to nothing?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I've had cars with Pause but I don't think I've ever had a car with a "stop" button. Like I said, it stops when you switch to another audio source or turn the radio off. Why would you want to stop the CD and listen to nothing?
When your talking to a passenger, for one. Or you just want to listen to your 1er!

I know I've seen others complain about the lack of standard audio interfaces in BMW's. But for the first time, I have to confront it and it's a bit frustrating. I'm starting to see the appeal of after-market systems.

Like many, I have previous-track, pause, stop, play, next-track buttons permanently burned into my fingers. It will take some retraining.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:

While mine is an '08 (with iDrive), I suspect it's the same as yours. The volume button does function as a pause button. But short of going into the iDrive menu, the only way I can see to go back to the beginning of a track is by using the arrow track select butttons.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When your talking to a passenger, for one. Or you just want to listen to your 1er!
I get it but if that's what you want to do just shut the radio off.

It sounds like you would want to keep the power on but the CD stopped and no sound coming out. To me, you should just shut the power off entirely. Maybe I'm missing something.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
pressing in the volume button will perform the action you seek.

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

+1 press the volume button
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

I know I've seen others complain about the lack of standard audio interfaces in BMW's. But for the first time, I have to confront it and it's a bit frustrating. I'm starting to see the appeal of after-market systems.

Like many, I have previous-track, pause, stop, play, next-track buttons permanently burned into my fingers. It will take some retraining.

I've NEVER had a Stop button on a CD player in a car.

If you want silence, you simply press the volume knob in, which turns off the stereo. It will resume in the same place when you turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
singular
Captain
Rep

push on volume = pause/mute. Got it - thanks.
Appreciate 0