BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Bob W
Registered
Rep
Drives: '54 120d, fully loaded

Question Professional Nav Perspective view upgrade?

Hi all - how's it goin?

I have just bought a used (2004) 120d with professional sat nav (iDrive etc.) - v. cool.

I've upgraded to the 2008-1 map DVD but it still doesn't give me the "perspective" (birds eye) map view.

Does anybody know how I can enable this? (I'm sure that it's just a software thing)

Bests - Bob W
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Nutkins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

hi - sorry don't have any good links but yes, it's a firmware upgrade. It involes downloading an image that your burn to CD (or you have to create the image file first I can't quite remember). Stick that in the drive and it goes off and updates itself. You then get the perspective option. It looks much nicer and is well worth doing.

If you google (BMW, Navigation, Update, perspective) etc you should find the threads that have all the info (and also on how to add speed cameras).

If I get time to find the links I'll re-post..

Alternatively if you're due a service soon and ask the garage nicely, they should be able to do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Bob W
Registered
Rep
Drives: '54 120d, fully loaded

Thanks,

I've tried various apparent firmware upgrades (V27, V29, V32) - burned them to CD and tried to follow upgrade instructions. However the system did not seem to recognise any of these CDs.

I contacted Kris Linquist who has contributed to many threads on this issue. His response was that none of these firmware upgrades will work with iDrive Nav - they only work wirh "MKIV" nav system (I'm not sure what the difference is.)

Has anybody here succesfully upgraded their 1-series iDrive Nav firmware?

(I've done the maps - no problem)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
Thanks,

I've tried various apparent firmware upgrades (V27, V29, V32) - burned them to CD and tried to follow upgrade instructions. However the system did not seem to recognise any of these CDs.

I contacted Kris Linquist who has contributed to many threads on this issue. His response was that none of these firmware upgrades will work with iDrive Nav - they only work wirh "MKIV" nav system (I'm not sure what the difference is.)

Has anybody here succesfully upgraded their 1-series iDrive Nav firmware?

(I've done the maps - no problem)
Hi Bob,

The firmware updates you're referring to are only relevant for the older (rebadged VDO Dayton) navigation systems (non-iDrive) on vehicles such as the E46 3 series, original X5, etc. They won't do anything on an iDrive vehicle.

The only way you can update the firmware of the iDrive system is to take it to the dealer for them to update it via their laptop - no other way I'm afraid. It takes most of the day to recode. This also recodes other systems of the car that have seen updates.

The map update discs are just that - map updates, nothing more.

Regards,

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0