BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Random Evening

Weird weather up here in Philadelphia. It reached high 50s, low 60s earlier today in the afternoon and out of all a sudden at 2am it starts snowing.

Anyway, on the way back from my campus I got in my car and started it up - realized that I just reached 7000miles exactly.

Yes.. I know 13.6 mpg is pathetic but I do 70% city driving and 30% highway.

I figured out that the roads are clear and I could have a little bit of fun. I have winter tires on but with traction control off and cold wet snow on the road there was no chance that the car was going to stick. I warmed the car up for a bit driving around casually. I eventually turned traction control off and cranked it up to S6 on my DCT. I floored it and there was a lot of wheel spin; my tires literally started floating - the revs shot up from 3000 - 8400 immediately and I almost did not have time shifting to 2nd gear. As a matter of fact, I actually felt the rev limiter kicking for a bit to save the engine. It's crazy how slippery it is out there, I'm guessing that the rpm jumped because there was so little load on the rear tires.

I'm assuming the same thing will happen if you lift the rear end of the car (meaning rear tires has no contact to the ground) and press on the accelerator? Just a little curious considering that the RPM shot from 3000 rpm to 8400 in a split second.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Yep, same thing will happen if you lift the rear of the car. The only thing that slows down the acceleration is the resistance from the cars weight on the road. Think about how easy it is to spin the wheels with your hands if you jack the car up.