BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
yala603
Rep
Drives: M3

Engine oil light up

Yesterday,the exclamation sign lighted up suddenly.
I quickly went home and when I turned off the engine the engine oil light came up, so I went to the BMW service dept and got 1 qrt 10W-60 from Castrol and first put 250 mL (one quarter) of it.
I tried recalibrating, but the sign still showed up +1, so just pour the whole thing. Now, the bar is not completly full, but really close to full (the point where the top triangle is pointing the bar in the picture)

my question is should I make the bar full? I made an appoinment with my local dealer, so should I take my car to them to make it exactly full, or just leave it as it is? I don't know if I should really trust the car's calibration since it doesn't seem that precise.

Also, when did you guys have to add more engine oil? Do I have to do this every 4,000 miles or something? I paid close to 12 dollars for 1 quart of 10W-60 from my local dealer. How much do u guys pay?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
yala603
Rep

Sorry about the pic size
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yala603 View Post
Yesterday,the exclamation sign lighted up suddenly.
I quickly went home and when I turned off the engine the engine oil light came up, so I went to the BMW service dept and got 1 qrt 10W-60 from Castrol and first put 250 mL (one quarter) of it.
I tried recalibrating, but the sign still showed up +1, so just pour the whole thing. Now, the bar is not completly full, but really close to full (the point where the top triangle is pointing the bar in the picture)

my question is should I make the bar full? I made an appoinment with my local dealer, so should I take my car to them to make it exactly full, or just leave it as it is? I don't know if I should really trust the car's calibration since it doesn't seem that precise.
So the bar is exactly where the upper triangle is pointing to? In that case it is full, higher would mean overfilled.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
yala603
Rep

I see.
Thanks for the information South
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Oil level

Quote:
Originally Posted by yala603 View Post
I see.
Thanks for the information South
Yes, that's perfect, doesn't need to be at the top.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

One thing that the dealer mentioned to me at delivery was to be careful with topping up the oil. He said that the electronic oil indicator scale is not linear (i.e. showing half does not necessarily mean that 500c of oil is missing) so in orer to ensure that oil is not overfilled (which will get you in trouble), the oil level needs to be left to drop to the point where a warning pops up to top up oil with 1lt. Only then he said to top up oil by emptying the entire 1lt bottle in the engine. He discouraged for isnatnce to add half of the bottle when the mark was at half, or 1/4 when the mark was at 3/4.

He also mentioned that for the new quantity of oil to show properly in the indicator a day or so needs to elapse so the new oil moves through the system and ends up in the sump.

I have already toped up oil 2ce x 1lt (my car has 12,500km) and I am close to toping up a 3rd time shortly. I have followed the dealer advice and I've been fine - simple, no overfills, no mess & no other trouble! This is also the recommended advise as per the manual if my memory serves we well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
yala603
Rep

That is what I exactly did.
When the warning sign came up I topped in 1 quart.
I guess I should just cancel my appointment.
Appreciate 0