BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Guy's interesting personal comparison of Dinan, PROcede, and JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I have been waiting a long time to sample a few tunes because I like to objectively feel for myself without the seller BS mucking the waters. Let me say I was not paid by anyone for this review. I like to thank all the guys who made it possible. Rixster, Shiv, Sniz, Client 9 (who wanted to remain anonymous. Met in NC), and of course myself! (vase330).

There are personal and not so personal reasons to choose a tune. Not telling you how or which to choose. I am also not a tuner so I make no attempt to quantify which is better, safer, does timing better etc. I am just going to describe as best as I can, my butt-dyno feel and observations made.

I will save you time if you don’t like to read any further and sorry to disappoint anyone but PROCede Rev II 3.2 came up aces. It was the best feeling tune by far.

Different tunes expirienced (Cars driven were Autos.):
• Bone Stock on v32.1
• Dinan Stage II
• Dinan Stage II with Sprint Booster
• PROCede Rev II 3.1 stage 1 map (default settings)
• PROCede Rev II 3.2 beta stage 1 map (default settings)
• JB3 map 4

Without further Ado, the tunes and how my butt dyno felt: (Also drew conclusions from long expirience with my Dinan tunes)

• Bone Stock – Our car is fast, very fast infact, but you get used to it and its not earth shacking. That’s why we all got tunes right? Anyway, been riding around on this since my last service visit to my local but non-Dinan dealer for service. This unlike the prior software has no lag, and is very responsive. The car feels actually lively, but the put the pedal down 50% and it seems flat from there on. That’s why you still need a Tune.

• Dinan Stage II – In the first 25% of pedal, its just like stock. From there on, the boost builds to maybe 75% then it just takes a dive. I have been using this tune for over a year now. For daily driving it’s a huge improvement over stock, and you can feel the extra boost, but you also feel the steep drop up top. It shines on the highway for slicing through traffic.

• Dinan Stage II with Sprint Booster – I got the SB to improve the throttle response. It actually did do a nice job of really sharpening the throttle response. But it also eliminated any dead travel at all, and the car jumps with a mere twitch of your right foot. Ok if you are not borderline epileptic I guess. Another side effect is that your car is hard to drive at 25mph. You need to feather the brakes to do so, because its almost as if there is an invisible foot on the gas even before you touch it. I ultimately took it off because I drive a lot in city streets and it made my car edgy. I was afraid I might take out a pedestrian while sneezing. It basically shifts your power band down 1000 rpm, by maybe pre-loading the throttle? Really was nice for highway driving.

• PROCede Rev II 3.1 stage 1 map (default settings) – Drove this tune for about 100 miles on this. I have to say it felt quite good. The throttle feels different. The car had very nice response, and is very linear all the way till redline. Its so damn fast, I couldn’t go anyhere near readline in 4th. I was on the highway so no way I was risking that. Its really fast. Compared to the orther tunes, only the JB felt as fast, but to be totally honest the JB is not as linear as this tune. JB3 gives less downlow and almost feels like it has a bit more up top. Another thing I noticed was the exhaust tune sounded different with v3.1. There was some initial popping and bubbling like you got with BMW software progman 30.x On balance you got the same popping with Dinan. Driving this tune made it feel stock like drivability, but even better because its smoother, as smooth as Dinan (you Dinanites know what I am talking about), but it has more juice lower than Dinan, and a load more up top. JB3 map for feels muscular up top, but is not as linear IMO. You grow to appretiate this tune. You can drive the car leisurely and you can drive like a bat outta hell if you like. I once asked how many times the car can feel more NA than the previous tune. I am a convert. I do see it indeed can feel more NA still. It really shines.

• JB3 map 4 – Compared to PROCede Rev II 3.1, stage 1, I honestly feel I have to pick PROCede 3.1 because the power delivery feels more natural. I mean both tunes are bloody fast. You get that. It was cold Saturday in the 20s, I drove the Rev II 3.1, Sunday was warmer in the 50s I drove JB3 and man, oh man!! These piggy backs are no joke. Having driven both, I can tell you for DD, this is all you need. Nice feeling tunes (Not judging how they do or don’t do what is advertised. Just driving feel) My nod goes to PROCede because its soo natural feeling. 10% you get 10%. Crazy!! I mean the PROCede 3.1 has more power at 50% than my Dinan Stage II + Sprint Booster, but you can drive it comfortably at 5 mph without using your brakes too. You touch the pedal and you feel response. JB3 feels a tad less powerful down low, but seems to really come alive at 2500-4500rpm and it just feels like a sledge hammer. I have had all Dinan stage IIs till now, and also had the Original flash. The JB3 feels like the Original Dinan flash but with a wallop more torque from 50%-100% throttle.

• Rev II 3.2 beta stage 1 (default settings): Sunday was 55F outside, gorgeous day, and equally gorgeous tune. Within 2 minutes of getting into the driver’s seat, I started the car and hit the highway and was immediately blown away. OMFG!! This tune wins hands down. I don’t know what the numbers say, I am all feel. That’s why I bought Sprint Booster even when everyone said it was a resistor. I could care less about the numbers if the tune does not harm my car and makes it feel better. The Rev 3.2 will absolutely blow you away if you have tested another tune.
  • o
How does it stack up against my Dinan tune? - its like a really linear civilized Dinan stage II + Sprint Booster, minus the SB edginess, add drivable at 5mph with no brakes. It’s linear alright, but the slope is steep. It feels like it has x5 more up top than the Dinan Stage II. You car feels as responsively sharp as the E46 M3 in sport mode. I can only compare to that since I owned one. The car feels like its on steroids. It just feels so muscular throught the rpm range, its unbelievable a mere tune can transform the car this much for under $1000 bucks. The difference even going from 3.1 to 3.2 is so big you have to be asleep or Gradma not to feel it. I can’t say enough about this. You feel tortured driving this monster around town because your instincts scream GO. But commonsense says don’t. It begs to be flogged. BEST FREAGIN TUNE BY A MILE. Seat of the pants feeling is just breath taking. Wow!! It like someone tuned your car then added two more cylinders to your motor.
  • o
How does it compare to JB3? - If you don’t want to spend money on a tune, don’t drive one of these. Forget the user adjustable stuff, just get in and drive. I’d want to see a review of this by one of the car rags. Forget about DPs and all other stuff, I am sure they add to whatever is there, this tune is enough by itself that you will feel like you need not tune any further. Holly Smokes!! Congratulations to the Vishnu boys, this is sheer wizardly.
  • o
I don't really know, but think of the Original Dinan flash. The manual guys loved it, but we steptronic guys not so much. These cars are really different. I have not driven a manual other than when I did a test drive in 07, so I will speak for the Auto. PROCede v3.2 is simply Brilliant!! JB3 on map 4 (that’s what my friend has) as fast as it felt, is no match for this tune. That is being 100% objective. The rev II 3.2 is just in a league of its own in the way it makes the car feel smooth, drivable, civilized while a monster at the same time. I noticed the car was running significantly cooler too. In one section we drove from Raleigh to Greensboro, and the gas mileage was just insane. I don’t know how accurate the caputer is, but geez showed high 30s mpg!! Holly hybrid! Hit the gas and hold on. The thing really hauls ass. I have never driven an exotic car, but I always imagined they felt like this. The car feels like a land missile, it just rips and rips.

I really liked this because he compared them all and wrote an independent review. Its from E90post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227773
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You know what if he really did test all these tunes out then kudos to him.. I always said if someone owned all the tunes or test them out they can make a fair comparison compared to people who own the product and just praise it because they are biased... ahem.. dinan owners hehe...

I personally think all tunes have good and bads and of course the price factors in also.. this has helped me understand more about those 3 tunes and these are the type of comparisons we need..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
That's awesome!!...i'm going to download (that's right download) the new beta map this weekend to my Procede...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

nice write up. now i think i might be dead set on the procede . .

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**

Last edited by guardianangel3290; 02-04-2009 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Procede FTW. Not that I would ever put one on my car since I am all stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
with a handle like eunoRACR..im sure u are...lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
with a handle like eunoRACR..im sure u are...lol
Haha you got me. Have you tried the new v3.2 maps yet? I just downloaded them. I will upload them tomorrow if I have time.

Nevemind just saw your post up top. I hear good things about these new maps. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
martinsmu
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, White/ red int

To late, already bought the JB3. Oh well... I mean I am stock
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

That is pretty impressive trying out all of the tunes, he nailed the DINAN tune and the DINAN sprintbooster tune. I have the sprintbooster in my car and I can see how some people would not like it but he did nail down what both are like so I think he is legit.
      02-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

You guys want a wild ride? Try a Procede v3 Stage 1 Non-Doomsday map paired with a Sprint booster. Not that I would know what that feels like. I hear its bonkers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Even though this thread did say procede is better in his opinion lets not say JB3 or Dinan is no good.. once again use it as a reference.. I for one aint gonna sell my JB3 after reading this but this just helps me understand what my tune does and doesn't do and maybe it even gives the tuners like Terry from BMS something to improve on..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

I've heard great things about all tunes. Most clients seem too prefer proceed or jb. Great review!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I wonder how he would have compared the JB3 map 6 to the rest. Good comparison though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
dyong
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Coupe

Thumbs up Procede Rev II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
I really liked this because he compared them all and wrote an independent review. Its from E90post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227773

I had the Procede 3.1 for a few days now. I cannot imagine how damn nice and powerful is this tune. I am very happy and satisfied. Three Cheers!!! to team Vishnu for a wonderful tune. Now I am amp to try out the beta version 3.2

The valet mode with speed limiter is a great feature!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
I wonder how he would have compared the JB3 map 6 to the rest. Good comparison though.
that would be a nice comparison
      02-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
FWIW, the writer of that comparison test tried out the default Stg 1 map. It only runs 12.5-13.5psi of boost. Which means that it is our second-most conservative map. He could have run something more aggressive as well. But more aggressive isn't always more good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyong View Post
I had the Procede 3.1 for a few days now. I cannot imagine how damn nice and powerful is this tune. I am very happy and satisfied. Three Cheers!!! to team Vishnu for a wonderful tune. Now I am amp to try out the beta version 3.2

The valet mode with speed limiter is a great feature!
Glad to like it. Definitely try the new beta maps I posted here. I think they will knock your socks off. 10% better fuel economy and much better off-boost torque. Feels like you dropped in a 3.5L.

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I know vase330, he is legit.

What I actually liked on the JB3, was precisely the relatively milder low end and dynamite upper end - throttle requested boost control, if you will. I mean, not that I was ever modded.

But now with a review like this, where I know the reviewer, that just might persuade me to try out the latest Procede in the future. I mean, my being stock, I'd probably try someone else's car...
Appreciate 0