BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Standard US stereo amplifier TOTAL FREAK OUT. Help?

OK, I have a stock standard stereo. I go into a store, buy something, come out. When I open the door, some crazy static ground noise is emanating from my speakers. It can be faintly heard in the front, but in the back left, its ridiculous: Piercing, shrilling, pulsing, popping... Like drive you out of the car loud.

This happened for 20 minutes straight- it didn't matter if the car was off, key out of the car, etc, it kept going on. I finally get home, and pop the trunk. I look around and tap around in the back. I'm unsure where the factory amp is, but I think its back there somewhere. I tap on the back side of the backseats, and it finally stops.

Now I hasn't restarted, and I don't have any clue what could make it happen to retrace it again.

It sounds like the ground for the amp is hitting a continuous hot power source. When it happened, the stereo would still work, but sounded really faint.

Anyone else ever seen something like this on a factory car?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I would take into the dealer to get wiring checked
      01-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

I had a similar problem with mine one morning ~3 months ago. A constant rapid clicking noise coming from the rear speakers regardless of the car being on, off, moving or not, stero on or off, etc. It lasted for at least 20 minutes and continued when I left the car in a parking lot.

It hasn't happened again since then and there was nothing the dealer could track down.

One recommendation they gave was that if it happens again and I can't get it to the dealer I could try pulling radio fuses until one of them stops it (I believe there's ~11 of them for the radio). That should give a bit more insight into what's causing the problem.

Edit:
To find the amp lift up the floor panel that covers the battery compartment and pull it towards the back of the car. It will unhook and the entire floor of the trunk will slide out to expose another compartment.

The fuse box is behind the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Lib,

Thank you very much for the reply; that's exactly what mine did, plus its good to know I'm not insane.

That said, I think it is stupid there are so many fuses for the radio. I'm not surprised, though, because when it comes to electronics, "German engineering" is truly an oxymoron.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
happened to me once. never again after that